The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 What will I get out of.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marc_sg Posted - 30/05/2011 : 22:11:25
Hi I'm not new here I just haven't used this site for a while. But any way I'm just wondering I have a male amel, a female sunglow and my new addition is a female hypo stripped motley ghost. She won't be ready to bred for 2 years yet but what could I get from my male amel and my stripped motley. I want a stripped amel but I recon I'll have to bred back to the female. Please help in trying to figure out the possibilities in the genes
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 02/06/2011 : 18:31:40
motley is highly variable (hence the name) ranging from saddles joined to give the appearance of perfect circles right out to stretched saddles giving a striped appearance.

motley and stripe are related in that they share the same locus on the chromosome so are technically different mutations of the same gene

**edit - this page helps explain http://www.corncalc.com/motstripe.html
Only1Nitro Posted - 01/06/2011 : 23:19:27
Was? What happened
also what do you think id get from a butter (female) and a snow (male)

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

this is a stripe mate.

With motleys, sometimes the saddles can join up so much that there is no border in between, so it looks like a stripe, but that does not mean it is a proper stripe.
The photo above was my male Ghost Stripe.

marc_sg Posted - 01/06/2011 : 22:27:12
It is the motley gene that has the strip characteristics isn't it
eeji Posted - 01/06/2011 : 18:52:27
the head stripe on a proper stripe and an stripey pattern motley is different, as is the positioning of the stripes
mikerichards Posted - 01/06/2011 : 09:34:04
this is a stripe mate.

With motleys, sometimes the saddles can join up so much that there is no border in between, so it looks like a stripe, but that does not mean it is a proper stripe.
The photo above was my male Ghost Stripe.
marc_sg Posted - 01/06/2011 : 00:17:07
You can tell that just from the photo what about the strip by her head
eeji Posted - 01/06/2011 : 00:08:25
your ghost is a motley so may not carry the stripe gene, only breeding to a known stripe (or het stripe) will tell you.
marc_sg Posted - 31/05/2011 : 23:37:49

Female sunglow

Amel male

Stripped hypo ghost
marc_sg Posted - 31/05/2011 : 23:10:46
Ok I will try and up load photos but i think I've got it now lol
mikerichards Posted - 31/05/2011 : 22:55:46
very basically, both parents have to carry the same gene, beit for a pattern or colour mutation.
if the desired trait is visual on both parents, then all the babies will show it, if only one parent is visual, and the other is het, then only roughly 50% of the babies will show that trait.
with percentages, its a percentage CHANCE per egg, not per clutch, hence why i have 20 babies and more than 50% are anery, despite one parent only being a het.
if you know what both parents are showing, then you can guarantee that if the babies do not show it, then they are het for it, amel for example, one parent is amel, the other doesnt carry it, but because the one parent is showing it, all the babies will be het for it, so breeding them back together will give you a roughly 25% chance per egg of getting an amel.
even when you start talking silly percentages you very rarely get a clutch that doesnt show any of the hets out, unless you are seriously unlucky, such as a friend who bred a spider royal to a pastel expecting bumblebees (combination of spider and pastel, they are both dominant traits) and he only got normals!!! thats very rare though.

to upload pics, the best way is either photobucket or imageshack, then copy and paste the [img] link to your post. that way it will show as a photo and not just a link.
marc_sg Posted - 31/05/2011 : 22:31:47
So basically even thou she's got the strip pattern she may not pass it on to the babies. And I have to bred the babies with each other this is starting to make sense. How can I up load pictures off my I phone to show you all my lil wonders
eeji Posted - 31/05/2011 : 20:26:28
it depends what you mean by striped motley. If its a motley that has a pinstripe pattern theres no guarantee that she is carrying stripe too. There is a possibility of her being het motley and stripe (which shows visual motley) and the only way to find out is by breeding.

To get your amel stripes (or to find out your female isn't het stripe) you'd need to do the ghost female x amel then breed the babies back together once they are old enough. If your ghost IS het stripe then these babies will be het motley OR stripe (they can't be both with a normal pattern) so you will need to take pot luck and get lucky you chose two het stripe offspring to breed together.

If you breed them back to the amel father like Mike says, you will have no chance of stripes because he doesn't have it to pass down.
marc_sg Posted - 31/05/2011 : 13:23:01
That's ment to say ment not mention
marc_sg Posted - 31/05/2011 : 12:25:51
What I mention was I had 16 eggs from the amel and sunglow and I got 3 candy canes come out is that normal. And with the strips I no I won't get the from amel and sunglow but when I bred my male amel to my female hypo ghost strip the hatchlings will be het for amels. So if I bred a hatchling male with my female sunglow will I get strip amels coz the male will then be hypo stripped ghost het amel
mikerichards Posted - 31/05/2011 : 09:44:05
If you breed the male amel to the female sunglow, then you will only get amels out, no stripes, no motleys.
i dont know where you get the 16 egg 13 normal 3 amel bit, amel to amel (remember that sunglow is amel) will give you all amels.
marc_sg Posted - 30/05/2011 : 23:16:06
Ok so it's not the young and the female I need to bred it's either the young back with the male or each other.what if I breed a young male with the sun glow coz then the males breed quicker. Also if just had a 16 egg clutch 13 were normal amels and 3 were candy cane I guess u get that alot with amels.
mikerichards Posted - 30/05/2011 : 23:04:07
if you breed the male to the sunglow, you will get amels, after all sunglow is just an amel selectively bred for low white.
should you breed him to the ghost stripe, then you will get normals het for hypo, motley, stripe, anery and amel.
if you want amel stripes then you would have to breed the young from the ghost stripe pairing to each other or to the amel father.
breeding back to the female wouldnt produce you any amels as she doesnt carry it, as far as you know anyway.
the best pairing would be to breed two or thee of the offspring back to each other, prove out some of their other hets.
marc_sg Posted - 30/05/2011 : 22:12:36
Just thought I will post photos

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000