The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 eggs found help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 11:33:50
i have just woke up to find eggs on my snakes heat mat, i have no polystyrene box or incubator and being bank holiday i cannot get anything, what should i do until i can get a decent box?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lozy89 Posted - 06/05/2011 : 20:03:50
at what age do the eggs have to be do do this? I will keep you posted :)

Unfortunately Twiglet had a bad shed and what appears to perhaps look like pulled off scales or burns... very worried for her at the mo but she is being treated and hopefully will make a full recovery
QueenVic Posted - 06/05/2011 : 16:32:53
Iv just read through this thread n il be really interested to know what happens Lozy!
Iv got 7 of my own incubating :)
You should try candling them, i did mine last night, just the top egg but there were thick veins running through it.
It was amazing :D

Good luck, and keep us up to date :)
lozy89 Posted - 06/05/2011 : 15:45:29
we have 4 still going (well we hope they are still alive)

sadly the rest started rotting,we waited until we were sure before chucking them. they were the ones found under the heat mat so they didnt stand a chance poor things :(

we are keeping our fingers crossed for the remaining 4! lets hope they will be lucky and hatch out into healthy corns!
columadboi Posted - 30/04/2011 : 01:37:02
hello
i recently had eggs layed by my female but had to leave them untill the morning as she was still laying when i went to bed and now iv made the poly incubator and because my eggs and sunk i have used the advice here to use the damp paper towl and cover the air holes hoping that they fill out but im worried they might dry out more if left for a few days to get humidity up?

any suggestions? hope your eggs fill out, i will let you know how mine go.
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:59:58
ok i will do :) thank yo all very much for the advice and i will update you (hopefully with good news) in a few days
gmac Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:56:10
leave it a few days as Doogle has suggested, by opening to look at the eggs is just letting the cool in and the humidity out leave it a few days at leas to check.
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:49:00
i have done that :) its been like it for about 30mins, i will check it tomorrow and see if there is any development with the look
Doogle Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:48:50
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

put the eggs on dampened kitchen paper then cover with damp kitchen paper, not sure if its too late for the eggs though but worth a try.

your woodchips are taking all the moisture.

Got there just before me! LOL
Doogle Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:47:53
Hi Lozy, Ok the eggs dont look the best as are very dehydrated but a few maybe ok!

As said above! Dont use bark! If you slightly dampen some paper towels enough that you cant squeese no water out at all and lay a thickish layer on the bottom of a tupaware tub (no holes)ruffling up the paper towel a bit!

Now lay the eggs on it but be very careful not the turn them over from the position they were laid!

Now lay a single sheet of damp (not wet) paper towel over the eggs and put the lid on with no holes!

Now put in the incubator and try to keep temp as close to 27 degrees as you can! Dont keep opening to check, if you cant see the eggs in the box as this makes the temps go up and down! So leave them for a few days and fingers crossed they will begin to fill out!

Good Luck Mate!
gmac Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:47:28
put the eggs on dampened kitchen paper then cover with damp kitchen paper, not sure if its too late for the eggs though but worth a try.

your woodchips are taking all the moisture.
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:18:18
ok thanks.

I have been readin up on the internet and its worrying me how drawn in and sunken the eggs are. I do not know how long they were on the heat mat for so i'm very worried they may have already been killed because of this :( :( :(

how will i tell if they are still alive?

My theory is (off the top of my head)- if they don't fill out and loose that sunken look, is it because they are already dead so they are not taking in any moisture? and if they do some how miraculously fill out again and loose the sunken deflated look, is it because they are alive? so they are absorbing moisture?????

Thanks
Invalid User Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:07:17
Ok, well best wait for an experienced breeder to advise now as I don't personally know if the eggs are viable but they may know and offer better advice than I can.

lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:05:24
yes, and the reading it coming from inside the box the eggs are in, in with the substrate
Invalid User Posted - 24/04/2011 : 18:04:22
Do you have a thermostat attached to the heatmat in the incubabteor? Where is the reading of 26c comming from? what area I mean. Chances are if it's an unstatted mat you are just cooking the eggs.
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:51:13
Thanks for your help lotabob, Do you think I should use paper towels for now? should they be slightly damp or???? just want them to have the best chance as I don't know when they appeared as I have been away.

The woodchip seems to be drying out (i sprayed it with water in the beginning as I was just trying to create a humid atmosphere) but I don't know if this should be happening, or whether I should be keeping it moist? I found them on the heat mat so im assuming they became very dry, some were even found beneath the heat mat, i have no idea how!!!!

I'm beginning to think it may be too late for them, but of course I don't know for sure so i'm still trying.

would anyone be able to tell me what they would do in my situation right now?? paper towels, carry on with woodchip etc???? thank you (p.s I have a thermometer and its about 26 in there).
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:35:35
B&Q and homebase etc should all be open tomorrow (I hope so I need some building materials). You'll have to tell that naughty snake of yours off for dropping her brood during a bank holiday. The beech chipshould be OK overnight but you'll need to get the humidity & temperature right without getting the substrate wet. I'm sure your fried running around like that, I'd be the same. Do you have a thermometer or hygrometer to hand? I hope you can save them, incubation is a best case scenario but they dont have incubators in the wild and snakes still exist so as long as your in the ball park they should be fine.
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:29:38
unfortunately i live less than 5 mins from a garden centre which was the first place i went this morning and it was closed, i also tried 3 other pet/gardent shops that were also closed, all i found was the koi shop that provided me with a polystyrene box but had no moss etc there
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:25:15
Garden centres are open during bank holidays. They do moss there and might even be able to get vermiculite though not sure.
lozy89 Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:19:06
i know the subsrtate is wrong, as i said in the post it is all i have, if you could add advice to you comment i would be very grateful, such as until you can get moss use..."
all i want to do is get these eggs into a good state, i was a bit foolish thinking that they would not mate but that was only put into my head because breeding seems so technical when you look at it with brumation and feeding regimes that i thought it wouldnt happen if left normal.

anyway, the mistakes that i made are irrelevant now, all that matters is that i have these little eggs that i desperately want to help and with the holiday nothing is open for another 2 days so all i am looking for is advice on keeping them well so advice is what i am after rather than pointing out my faults :)

thanks
lotabob Posted - 24/04/2011 : 17:00:41
As far as I know when they sink and pit like that they are too dry. Also to get humidity right wood substrate is no good as it moulds and knackers the eggs. They don't look fantastic but they look fertile, not sure how they were unexpected she must have been with or is housed with a male and its what they do this time of year.

I would call your local reptile shop and see if they do an incubation service (I know my shop does) and they'l be able to tell straight away if you've any viable eggs there.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000