Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  11:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just woke up to find eggs on my snakes heat mat, i have no polystyrene box or incubator and being bank holiday i cannot get anything, what should i do until i can get a decent box?

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the eggs fertile?
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  12:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea. I don't know how long they have been there either due to being away for a week :( they look like a whitish colour with some parts of them an off white creamy colour. they are tic tac shaped, not rounded like chicken eggs for example lol. the shells are dry and they feel slightly hardened but very delicate at the same time, so hard to try and explain. wasn't expecting a clutch at all. was not planned so have no idea what to do for the best, so far I have set up a shallow container with warm water in it, with a heat mat attatched to the underside. then i have places the eggs in substrate in a smaller plastic container and it is floating upon the warm water. i have got ventilation holes in both containers, and lids on both. with a blanket wrapped around the outside to help maintain warmth.

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  14:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quick update for anybody that is interested, twig has just eaten :) she is looking thinner but im sure she is fine, the fact that she took the mouse is good :), also my partner done a lot of running around and managed to find a pet shop open that had a random polystyrene box that needed some repair but we got it sorted, so the eggs are know in a plastic container with vent holes and a moist substrate, (will get moss tomorrow) the tube is about 3 inches above a heat mat that has a small bowl of water on it to try and keep humidity, i have opened it after about 30mins and it is warm in there and humid so it seems to be working, i will get a look at the eggs and try to post a picture maybe tonight, at the moment i feel i have disturbed them enough to want to let them soak up some moisture and heat while i pray they are fertile :)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  14:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the heatmat you are using for the incubator attached to a thermostat? If it's not you are gonna cook the eggs!

Have a look at this:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8724

Also the eggs must not be turned or moved around too much.

Was the female actually put with a male?

Edited by - Invalid User on 24/04/2011 15:00:35
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope the eggs are ok. I think that if they have been on the heatmat for more than a day then they could be in trouble. I'm sure people more experienced will be along soon. You really do need to have a thermometer in the tub with the eggs

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we know have a thermometer in the substrate next to the eggs and its reading a constant 26 degrees, heat mat is pretty old but it will have to do until the bank holiday is over.

before the comments come in i know the substrate is wrong, but its the best i can do with what i have, i will get moss as soon as my local pet shop is open again, can anybody say what they think?

the eggs were laid on a heat mat so i know that could be a problem but would i be able to tell any way if that has damaged them?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  16:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't look to good tbh! :(
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  16:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:(

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know when they sink and pit like that they are too dry. Also to get humidity right wood substrate is no good as it moulds and knackers the eggs. They don't look fantastic but they look fertile, not sure how they were unexpected she must have been with or is housed with a male and its what they do this time of year.

I would call your local reptile shop and see if they do an incubation service (I know my shop does) and they'l be able to tell straight away if you've any viable eggs there.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know the subsrtate is wrong, as i said in the post it is all i have, if you could add advice to you comment i would be very grateful, such as until you can get moss use..."
all i want to do is get these eggs into a good state, i was a bit foolish thinking that they would not mate but that was only put into my head because breeding seems so technical when you look at it with brumation and feeding regimes that i thought it wouldnt happen if left normal.

anyway, the mistakes that i made are irrelevant now, all that matters is that i have these little eggs that i desperately want to help and with the holiday nothing is open for another 2 days so all i am looking for is advice on keeping them well so advice is what i am after rather than pointing out my faults :)

thanks

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garden centres are open during bank holidays. They do moss there and might even be able to get vermiculite though not sure.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unfortunately i live less than 5 mins from a garden centre which was the first place i went this morning and it was closed, i also tried 3 other pet/gardent shops that were also closed, all i found was the koi shop that provided me with a polystyrene box but had no moss etc there

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B&Q and homebase etc should all be open tomorrow (I hope so I need some building materials). You'll have to tell that naughty snake of yours off for dropping her brood during a bank holiday. The beech chipshould be OK overnight but you'll need to get the humidity & temperature right without getting the substrate wet. I'm sure your fried running around like that, I'd be the same. Do you have a thermometer or hygrometer to hand? I hope you can save them, incubation is a best case scenario but they dont have incubators in the wild and snakes still exist so as long as your in the ball park they should be fine.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help lotabob, Do you think I should use paper towels for now? should they be slightly damp or???? just want them to have the best chance as I don't know when they appeared as I have been away.

The woodchip seems to be drying out (i sprayed it with water in the beginning as I was just trying to create a humid atmosphere) but I don't know if this should be happening, or whether I should be keeping it moist? I found them on the heat mat so im assuming they became very dry, some were even found beneath the heat mat, i have no idea how!!!!

I'm beginning to think it may be too late for them, but of course I don't know for sure so i'm still trying.

would anyone be able to tell me what they would do in my situation right now?? paper towels, carry on with woodchip etc???? thank you (p.s I have a thermometer and its about 26 in there).

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a thermostat attached to the heatmat in the incubabteor? Where is the reading of 26c comming from? what area I mean. Chances are if it's an unstatted mat you are just cooking the eggs.
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, and the reading it coming from inside the box the eggs are in, in with the substrate

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, well best wait for an experienced breeder to advise now as I don't personally know if the eggs are viable but they may know and offer better advice than I can.

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks.

I have been readin up on the internet and its worrying me how drawn in and sunken the eggs are. I do not know how long they were on the heat mat for so i'm very worried they may have already been killed because of this :( :( :(

how will i tell if they are still alive?

My theory is (off the top of my head)- if they don't fill out and loose that sunken look, is it because they are already dead so they are not taking in any moisture? and if they do some how miraculously fill out again and loose the sunken deflated look, is it because they are alive? so they are absorbing moisture?????

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put the eggs on dampened kitchen paper then cover with damp kitchen paper, not sure if its too late for the eggs though but worth a try.

your woodchips are taking all the moisture.

Go to Top of Page

Doogle
Yearling

United Kingdom
617 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Doogle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lozy, Ok the eggs dont look the best as are very dehydrated but a few maybe ok!

As said above! Dont use bark! If you slightly dampen some paper towels enough that you cant squeese no water out at all and lay a thickish layer on the bottom of a tupaware tub (no holes)ruffling up the paper towel a bit!

Now lay the eggs on it but be very careful not the turn them over from the position they were laid!

Now lay a single sheet of damp (not wet) paper towel over the eggs and put the lid on with no holes!

Now put in the incubator and try to keep temp as close to 27 degrees as you can! Dont keep opening to check, if you cant see the eggs in the box as this makes the temps go up and down! So leave them for a few days and fingers crossed they will begin to fill out!

Good Luck Mate!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000