The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 E.gutatta gutatta eggs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Haplopelma Posted - 16/03/2011 : 15:05:59
My female corn snake laid 14 eggs 3 days ago i've got the eggs in an incubator.

This is my 1st ever snake clutch and have a constant humidity level of 88% and temps fluctuate between 84 - 86f i can't seem to keep it at 85f as i don't use a thermostat

the eggs are not shrivelling or shrinking and are nice and white

just wondering if there is anything else i can do to make sure they do alright or am i at the mercy of nature now and just wait and see
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Haplopelma Posted - 18/03/2011 : 15:54:22
Thanks Mike

it really only hits 86 f when the heating is on at night for my baby girl usually it stays between 83 - 85 f but def getting a stat
mikerichards Posted - 18/03/2011 : 00:47:34
heres a good reason for you to get a thermostat, your temps are topping out at 30 degrees C, although its not to hot, its nearly there, if it goes over 33, the eggs will die before you can do anything about it.
also, 30 is likely to give you hot babies, they could be deformed, over grumpy or even not hatch at all, for the cost of a stat, its not worth the risk. the ideal temp is 28, which may only sound like a couple of degrees, which to be fair it is, however, that can make a world of difference!!
Blackecho Posted - 17/03/2011 : 07:24:49
Right, all the faff removed (twice now), look how short this thread is now.

Please remember that just because you can press 'Submit Reply', does not mean that you have to

Be good everyone.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 17/03/2011 : 00:49:33
haplopelma - this is a very usefull forum i promise u! i joined 8/9 months ago with 1 snake now i got 6! and my 1st stop for information is here and its worth it! lots of people with gud info and true knowledge, just sometimes banter is banter and other times... well u know! :)
Haplopelma Posted - 16/03/2011 : 23:36:37
[/quote]
"i can't regulate the temps but don't use the specific piece of equiment readily available and designed to regulate temps.........."
does that even warrant a useful reply? i'm with oakley on this one
[/quote]

I have a thermostat on order

despite your sarcasm if you had even bothered to read my post properly then you would have seen that this is my FIRST reptile breeding and you would have seen that i'm used to breeding SPIDERS.

I am new to this forum and to snake breeding and I certainly don't want arguments just people who can be helpful and point me in the right direction rather than to be so arrogant and nasty arn't we not here to give help to people who are not sure if they are doing something wrong or just unsure in general.

Maybe I was mistaken but thanks to all of you whome have taken the time to help its much appreciated
vetdebbie Posted - 16/03/2011 : 23:27:54
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

its still officially Elaphe guttata. The change to Pantherophis guttatus was rejected by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature

[/offtopic]

I didn't know that Ian, thanks.
eeji Posted - 16/03/2011 : 22:46:20
its still officially Elaphe guttata. The change to Pantherophis guttatus was rejected by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature

[/offtopic]
mikeyd_26 Posted - 16/03/2011 : 22:29:27
ahh! koolio! so why the change and wots the difference between pantherophis and elaphae?
gingerpony Posted - 16/03/2011 : 22:29:06
"i can't regulate the temps but don't use the specific piece of equiment readily available and designed to regulate temps.........."

does that even warrant a useful reply?
gmac Posted - 16/03/2011 : 22:22:27
used to be elephe G G is now pantherophis G G
mikeyd_26 Posted - 16/03/2011 : 22:09:22
ok off topic now i know! but why P.guttata guttata?
mikerichards Posted - 16/03/2011 : 20:44:51
Your thread title should be P.guttata guttata.

now for some direction, a pulse stat or a dimmer is what you want, the probe goes in with the eggs, along with your thermometer, maintain 28 degrees C, convert that to F if it takes your fancy.
as long as your temps do not go about 33 or below 21, you are onto a winner.
eeji Posted - 16/03/2011 : 18:47:51
I too use a poly box for incubating and don't have any ventilation at all, and little to none in the seperate egg boxes. Everything gets opened once a week for a few seconds to let in some fresh air. Too much venting can lose all the humidity and heat, and its this heat that is the important bit - if the stat sees the heat is down it will power up and by the time it thinks the correct temperature has been reached it can be too hot. A pulse stat (instead of a regular mat stat) helps reduce these spikes greatly and also keep a very accurate constant temperature.
Haplopelma Posted - 16/03/2011 : 18:26:30
the 1st setup is much the same as mine except the thermostat
Invalid User Posted - 16/03/2011 : 18:03:44
I know you have made your incubator but this might help

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8724
gmac Posted - 16/03/2011 : 17:51:35
pulse stat is what you need, it will heat the mat and then when at the set temp will send pulses to maintain that heat level.
Haplopelma Posted - 16/03/2011 : 17:48:11
Thanks

having a look at thermostats

how do they work with the heat mats i'm assuming they connect together and once set to in this case 85f they would switch off the mat and the reversal if it went below

how would ventillation be done with a plastic box in a polystyreen box and not loose humidity and subsequently drying the eggs

like i stated this is my first attempt at snake breeding and obviously don't want it going belly up
gmac Posted - 16/03/2011 : 17:15:46
Your incubator sounds fine but i would get a pulse stat to keep a constant temp.
oakleyman18 Posted - 16/03/2011 : 16:56:02
Sounds like humidities and temps are right on. Only thing left to consider is ventilation. Of course as Louise says, a thermostat is critical - you can't afford fluctuations if ambients change.
Haplopelma Posted - 16/03/2011 : 16:17:09
Incubator is a polystyreene box, heatmat on base then packed with aspen eggs are in vermiculite in a big box to accomodate all the eggs and using a digital thermo / hydrometer

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000