The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Breeding questions and genes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oakleyman18 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 10:24:34
Hi all!!

I've been browsing various websites (mainly iansvivarium) looking for advice forst first time breeders. I think I know everything I need to do, but just a few questions quickly...

1) How soon after the male is introduced do you think they will begin to mate?

2) Gene related - What morphs are dominant- ie, I have a normal corn, unsure at to any hets, but would like to try and get a clutch of various different types... What sort of male should I look for to achieve this?

3) Does anyone near Leicester/Nottingham/Midlands have a male they'de like to stud out? ;)

Cheers guys and girls!

Oscar
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 07/12/2010 : 21:32:47
it is really simple to work out Mendelian genetics (recessive/codom/dominant) once you know how it works. If I can teach myself from the University Of Google then anyone can learn it! :D

Tiffany-x Posted - 07/12/2010 : 19:40:27
Haha, too right! :P If only it was simple, this plus this makes this and that is that! :P
Tiffany-x
mikerichards Posted - 07/12/2010 : 19:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

I think learning genetics is the easiest part, its knowing heterzygous homozygous dominant recessive etc! :P Thats where I always get lost! I love genetics though, I have always found them interesting. Go me! Super nerd!! ;)
Tiffany-x

thats all genetics, knowing what they are is very easy, especially in corns, as nearly everything is recessive.
Learning how they work, and what they do is a whole new ball game.
learning how a recessive works can be difficult, and learning how a triple recessive works and can pan out is even more tricky.
then you can mix recessives with dominants and co-dominants, and its gets even worse.
Tiffany-x Posted - 07/12/2010 : 16:53:48
I think learning genetics is the easiest part, its knowing heterzygous homozygous dominant recessive etc! :P Thats where I always get lost! I love genetics though, I have always found them interesting. Go me! Super nerd!! ;)
Tiffany-x
mikerichards Posted - 07/12/2010 : 12:04:39
Understanding how the genetics works takes time.
If you want to learn more then you can Google it, it will show you punnet squares and explain simple recessives.
Once you get your head round the basics, it becomes quite easy, then gthe. tricky bit is working out percentages, that's fun.
Tiffany-x Posted - 05/12/2010 : 16:38:59
Its part of my wishlist too! Id love one! :P
Tiffany-x
Mort13 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 15:42:58
Oh wow. Just checked out the Tessera,absolutely beautiful.
Good luck finding one!! Thats a snake for my future collection I think
eeji Posted - 05/12/2010 : 15:28:51
there are a few in the uk but they are only a very recent addition over here so probably none for sale just yet :(

Keep an eye out though, because thay are dominant there will be more and more babies appearing once the breeding starts and the price will fall like a rock just as it did with ultramel based morphs, eg. a few years ago a golddust would cost you a few hundred and now you can get one really cheap :)
oakleyman18 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 14:11:01
Awesome link - thanks eeji! Just outa curiosity ( ) where can you get Tessera's in the UK? I've seena few places that sell them in the US, alas I'm not sure they'd be happy with a 12hr plane journey!
eeji Posted - 05/12/2010 : 14:09:00
Mike is correct, the only dominant morph in corns is Tesserra and because its still new its expensive - you're looking at anywhere between £600 - £1000 for a single animal.

For a good read on how it all works have a look at the Learning Centre on VMS Herps website - http://www.vmsherp.com/LearningCenter.htm
Tiffany-x Posted - 05/12/2010 : 12:55:58
I found that I learnt everything that I know through learning about genetics in biology. I found it easier to learn about genetics then apply it, it helped me to learn what I needed in biology to be able to apply it to something that really interests me. :)
Tiffany-x
herriotfan Posted - 05/12/2010 : 12:37:48
Are there any really good books that explain genetics in an idiot proof way? Something that could be recommended for understanding dominant/resessive/hets etc, etc? Any suggestions.....
mikerichards Posted - 05/12/2010 : 11:53:53
Dominant wise, only tessera i think is dominant, the rest are simple recessives.
you cant assume that your snake has hets, there are still plenty of normal normals out there.
Unless you have a LOT of disposable income to spend on a tessera then you are not guaranteed to get anything other than normals with whatever you pair the snake with.
With recessives both snakes have the carry the same genes for the chance of anything other than a normal, and as there are so many difference morphs about, the chances of having a male with the same genes as your female are fairly slim.
There is a chance that she is carrying the snow genes ( amel and anery), as they are the most commonly bred, but thats not to say that its a guarantee, they hets could be butter, stripe, motley.......... anything.
If you want guaranteed morph babies, then you need a morph female to the same morph male, anything else is pot luck.

Mating wise, males are impatient, a proven male will go for it quite quickly, my male bloodred to the ghost was over in 2 minutes from introducing him, however, my ultra didnt know what to do, and he failed, so its down to the male and females willingness to breed more than anything.
Tiffany-x Posted - 05/12/2010 : 10:55:55
As far as Im aware normal is the only dominant morph, this isnt forced to be right though. And as for not knowing hets, there are likely to be average ones ie amel, anery etc. so as far as what you will get, any morph with lots of hets like that I THINK will give you anery, amel, snows, and whatever else. TBH Im not certain and it would strongly depend on your snakes hets, but the more hets in the male you pair her with the more chance of getting loads of pretty colours!

Please take in mind that this is what I think, I cannot at all be sure but this is hopefully a small push in the right direction. :/ Sorry if it is completely wrong though.
Tiffany-x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000