The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 hibernation/brumation - is it necessary for males?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pitcher Posted - 11/07/2010 : 13:27:50
As per the title really. just wondering if it is necessary for male corns to hibernate/brumate ready for the breeding season? it doesn't seem like my male needs any sort of natural trigger to get jiggy...

im planning on hibernating my female this winter but it'll be shame not to have any snakes around the place for so long :(

thanks
Lee
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 12/07/2010 : 18:37:35
mine don't get brumated and go at it like rabbits when they're put together :) decent size clutches too (20-ish eggs)
mikerichards Posted - 12/07/2010 : 08:00:50
Depending on how many you have, its a nice break!
Thing is, I hibernate for longer because its fine and gives a bit of a break from all the feeding etc, you don't have to, 2 months, 6 weeks, its fine.
One thing I didn't mention, when hibernating, check them once a week anyway, if they are losing a lot of weight then bring them up, get them feeding and go from there, as long as the weight comes back, they are still fine to breed.
pitcher Posted - 11/07/2010 : 17:49:40
Ah thanks mike. Shame as I enjoy having the snakes around. Guess I'll just have to have a few more young's around

dan87 Posted - 11/07/2010 : 16:54:28
you should really hibernate males too, it helps build the sperm in the male, and help with the fertility. I would brumate for the same length as time as the females, i do mine for around 5 months.

MikeR logged in as Dan!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000