The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 good news :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 30/05/2010 : 20:17:53
just went to change medusa's water today and she started climbing up my arm the first time out of the shop i have held her my mum walked into the room as she was climbing up my arm and freaked out at first have got some pictures of the family holding her even mum

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stotty01 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 23:13:10
ok cheers guys :D
Kellog Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:08:09
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

You can use anything like that, just put some kitchen roll in the bottom and away you go. Once the mouse has gone down past her neck just very gently lift her back into the warm end of her faun/viv and leave her to settle where she feels most comfortable......

I must admit that with mine I leave them in the shoe box or RUB, whatever I have decided to use, until the 'bump' is half way down their bodies....then I lift them, supporting them gently one hand one-third down from head and other hand one-third up from tail (so 'bump' should be nicely in between) and move them into their vivs. Just think it is better to wait until their food has moved further down before moving them - a personal preference of course .

I dont have any worries about corns getting viv defensive if you feed them in their vivs but think that there are 2 positive reasons for feeding out of the viv - no risk of them injesting any substrate with their food and it gives you a much better chance to get good pics....definite plus!!

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 31/05/2010 : 14:06:14
Elijah feeds both in and out of his faun. I like him feeding in it sometime to give him the sense he is hunting in HIS world. I have not yet encountered any issues with him getting viv defensive. If I do feed in his faun then I put a feeding dish down so he doesn't eat any substrate.

For feeding outide, I use a small animal/fish tank to hold him in. Do his faun cleanup, weight him in it, take an aerial photo to measure him, then give him his grub.
stotty01 Posted - 31/05/2010 : 12:58:54
ok thanks for the help :)
herriotfan Posted - 31/05/2010 : 12:40:27
You can use anything like that, just put some kitchen roll in the bottom and away you go. Once the mouse has gone down past her neck just very gently lift her back into the warm end of her faun/viv and leave her to settle where she feels most comfortable. Then comes the difficult bit....LEAVE her alone for 48 hours to digest her meal. Just change her water and do the normal daily substrate checks. It's really hard not to touch but it could cause her to regurgitate if you do.
Have someone ready to take photos for you when she has her first feed with you. It's amazing watching them feed and you won't want to miss a moment trying to get photos. Let us know how it goes.
stotty01 Posted - 31/05/2010 : 12:29:40
i never thought of it like that, shall i just have a ice cream tub or something with paper in it? and thanks for the comment about my poster :P
herriotfan Posted - 31/05/2010 : 12:19:57
Wow, those are great photos. Love the one of your mum trying not to look freaked out!!! Bless her...the things mums will do for their offspring.
I feed our Sidney outside his viv but it's all a matter of personal choice. The reason I feed outside is two-fold. 1) He won't take any substrate with his meal and 2) He won't get viv defensive over food. Other people will probably have other opinions to share with you. Then you must weigh it all up and work out what you think is best for you.
It's really good that you are so enthusiastic, it shows how much you care.
n/a Posted - 31/05/2010 : 12:18:56
She's so cute! Love the photos as well :)
Edit: Also, cool AC/DC poster! :D
stotty01 Posted - 31/05/2010 : 11:34:04
im planning to take her out of the viv, weigh her, take a aireal shot then geed her in the viv :) is this a good idea???
Kellog Posted - 31/05/2010 : 02:40:25
That is great news Alex, really shows how laid back and adventurous Medusa is (or is that an oxymoron !!). It is also lovely that the whole family is getting involved - even if your mum was not exactly enthusiastic about it !

The pic you have made your sig is a great one of her .

By my reckoning you have only had her for 4 days, so although she is being so friendly I would still keep handling to a minimum and then feed her once the week is up....just to be 100% sure that she is fully settled in, although she is showing all the signs of being so. Waiting a few more days wont do her any harm and it will mean she is hungry when you do feed her and more likely to feed first time. Are you planning on feeding her in or out of her faun?

I am NO EXPERT though Alex, so wait and see what others have to say.

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 30/05/2010 : 23:54:26
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

i love how your mum has her hands inside her sleeves! Doesnt want to touch the snake perhaps?

Lol, and the gritted teeth
Sta~ple Posted - 30/05/2010 : 21:27:17
Awwwww that's very cute :3
stotty01 Posted - 30/05/2010 : 20:53:47
no she didnt want to hold it all really :P and yes ive started handling her :) shall i feed her soon???
mozacchio Posted - 30/05/2010 : 20:39:36
Nice pics..!
Progress, huh?
Figs Posted - 30/05/2010 : 20:35:54
lovely!
and congrats on Medusa getting braver

i love how your mum has her hands inside her sleeves! Doesnt want to touch the snake perhaps?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000