The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Are corn snakes burrowers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 16:56:39
Lately milo has been spending almost all of his time burrowed in his substrate is this normal?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 07/04/2010 : 03:43:45
Mike has said it perfectly - there is no such thing as a 'text book' corn !

Despite the 'fact' that corns are not supposed to be burrowers, mine love making tunnels and often I have a heart-stopping moment when there is no sign of Silvesta in his viv and think 'ESCAPE' ....but he is safely there, just hidden under all his substrate. I have it thin over the heatmat but make sure that it deepens as it moves towards the cool end so that they have enough to burrow in.

Also corns are not arboreal....but we have all seen the pics of Steve in his foliage !! And Kellog loves sliding his way up and around the branches in his viv - if they didnt like to climb why put branches in their vivs?!

No corn is 'normal' and we wouldnt want them to be - but, again as has already been said, as long as Milo is eating, shedding and doing everything that shows a happy snake then everything is normal! The one thing I would say is to check your temps as one reason for burrowing could be to escape either a too hot or too cold viv.

xxx

simonw Posted - 06/04/2010 : 22:25:25
My two 10 year olds used to hide away but came out every time someone came in the room :) so nosey. Now they hardly ever hide away and just sit on their hides or where ever they are (lazy I think), but they still peer round to watch anyone in the room.
mikerichards Posted - 06/04/2010 : 08:20:10
Generally, according to research (apparently) corns are not burrowers, but, like everything else, if the opportunity is there then they will make the most of it.
It is absolutely normal, to be honest, if every corn was how they said in the books then it would be very boring!
Some of mine love to climb, others bury themselves, some like to hide and others sleep in what would appear to be stress positions! Every snake, as people are, is different, what's normal for mine maybe completely wrong for yours, as long as snakey is happy, feeding, shedding is a good indicator of stress, then its normal, don't worry!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 00:23:41
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

Spaghettino doesn't even like hides that much. He prefers to burrow is the substract and stays there for hours! So, yes, it's normal..!

All of mine use their hides, but they also all have little tunnels running everywhere.

Candy makes me laugh though, shes that small that rather then get inside her exo terra snake cave, she goes under it, I've started putting a bit more substrate under there so she dosn't get squished.
mozacchio Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:03:49
Spaghettino doesn't even like hides that much. He prefers to burrow is the substract and stays there for hours! So, yes, it's normal..!
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 20:26:25
i guess its the instinct from the wild where they'd hide in leaf etc waiting for lunch and keeping out of sight of critters that would make them lunch.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:17:37
All of mine now burrow, Reggie started recently.

Aslong as they are eating shedding and drinking, and do have two hides, one in the cold end one in the warm end i wouldn't worry about it. But i do know that some snakes that don't have a hide in the cold end will take to burrowing more instead.
Twi Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:10:36
All three of mine spend more time burrowed in their substrate then they do actually using their hides, but I give them extra thick substrate just because of that lol
n/a Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:08:10
Thanks every else seems ok he's due a feed tomorrow so I'll see how he does
Lilpunk Posted - 05/04/2010 : 17:03:36
Corn snakes do like to burrow yes, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as he's eating, sheding and drinking ok I'm sure he's fine

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000