Are corn snakes burrowers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  16:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lately milo has been spending almost all of his time burrowed in his substrate is this normal?

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:03:36  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes do like to burrow yes, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as he's eating, sheding and drinking ok I'm sure he's fine

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks every else seems ok he's due a feed tomorrow so I'll see how he does

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:10:36  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All three of mine spend more time burrowed in their substrate then they do actually using their hides, but I give them extra thick substrate just because of that lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:17:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All of mine now burrow, Reggie started recently.

Aslong as they are eating shedding and drinking, and do have two hides, one in the cold end one in the warm end i wouldn't worry about it. But i do know that some snakes that don't have a hide in the cold end will take to burrowing more instead.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  20:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess its the instinct from the wild where they'd hide in leaf etc waiting for lunch and keeping out of sight of critters that would make them lunch.

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  22:03:49  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Spaghettino doesn't even like hides that much. He prefers to burrow is the substract and stays there for hours! So, yes, it's normal..!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  00:23:41  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

Spaghettino doesn't even like hides that much. He prefers to burrow is the substract and stays there for hours! So, yes, it's normal..!

All of mine use their hides, but they also all have little tunnels running everywhere.

Candy makes me laugh though, shes that small that rather then get inside her exo terra snake cave, she goes under it, I've started putting a bit more substrate under there so she dosn't get squished.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  08:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally, according to research (apparently) corns are not burrowers, but, like everything else, if the opportunity is there then they will make the most of it.
It is absolutely normal, to be honest, if every corn was how they said in the books then it would be very boring!
Some of mine love to climb, others bury themselves, some like to hide and others sleep in what would appear to be stress positions! Every snake, as people are, is different, what's normal for mine maybe completely wrong for yours, as long as snakey is happy, feeding, shedding is a good indicator of stress, then its normal, don't worry!

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  22:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two 10 year olds used to hide away but came out every time someone came in the room :) so nosey. Now they hardly ever hide away and just sit on their hides or where ever they are (lazy I think), but they still peer round to watch anyone in the room.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  03:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike has said it perfectly - there is no such thing as a 'text book' corn !

Despite the 'fact' that corns are not supposed to be burrowers, mine love making tunnels and often I have a heart-stopping moment when there is no sign of Silvesta in his viv and think 'ESCAPE' ....but he is safely there, just hidden under all his substrate. I have it thin over the heatmat but make sure that it deepens as it moves towards the cool end so that they have enough to burrow in.

Also corns are not arboreal....but we have all seen the pics of Steve in his foliage !! And Kellog loves sliding his way up and around the branches in his viv - if they didnt like to climb why put branches in their vivs?!

No corn is 'normal' and we wouldnt want them to be - but, again as has already been said, as long as Milo is eating, shedding and doing everything that shows a happy snake then everything is normal! The one thing I would say is to check your temps as one reason for burrowing could be to escape either a too hot or too cold viv.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000