The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Best price for starter setup

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
col654 Posted - 29/03/2010 : 11:39:25
Hi just wondering what the best price for a starter kit for corns. Have seen £130-£190 is that about the right price?
Thanks Colin
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
col654 Posted - 12/04/2010 : 12:02:58
Thanks all have got my corn cost £100 for the full set up and snake.
herriotfan Posted - 12/04/2010 : 00:12:48
You could also look on ebay or preowned type sites to see if you could pick up a bargain. As long as you've done your research and understand about the housing needs of your snake you should be ok. Although I must admit I do understand why you might want a new setup. It's reassuring knowing that you're putting your snake into a brand new home, rather than one that may have housed a snake with health issues. I know you can clean them etc but it's still a bit of a worry!!
n/a Posted - 11/04/2010 : 23:38:20
I got my started set for £85.. incuded 2 hatchling corns, 2 fauns, 1 large bag of wood chip, 2 heat mats, thermometers, 2 plants, 2 medium hides, 2 large water bowls, and some pinkies and feeding tweesers..
LittleMick Posted - 08/04/2010 : 23:49:02
Bought my starter kit from 888 reptiles, they priced it at £56

Larger flat faunarium 18"x12"x7 1/2"
ET small medium water dish
ET small hide
1 kg Apsen
Komodo 6"x11" 7w heat mat

I asked them to add a stat and a digi them and they only charged me an extra £3
I also had a spare small snake cave and I got an ET bosten fern and a slk vine. My Elijah does great in it.

On the subject of heat mats I've spoke to a couple of shops asking why they don't sell stats with starter kit and they reckon it's because they are only 7w mats so a stat isn't needed, once you get upto 12w that's when you need stats. Believe me, I'm with eveyone else on here with this, and reluctant to use a mat without a stat. But more on this in my post on the mother site aboutmy scorpion setup. I'll post a link when I have posted the topic.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 30/03/2010 : 14:46:21
I was quoted 65 pound for a starter set up for a snake which inlcuded a thermostat if not i wouldnt ave bought it mind u i must admit i did buy a set up for 60 which didnt have a thermostat with it but i had a spare one to hand
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/03/2010 : 10:36:03
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

a starter kit isn't a starter kit if theres no thermostat in it, and shops that sell them without should be burned to the ground to see how they like it too hot.

That should be the 11th commandment.
Kare Posted - 30/03/2010 : 10:27:54
I hate starter kits, I have never once seen one suitable for purpose, especially for things like goldfish ones and hamster cages, people dont realise they really are just to start with and temporary and the animal ends up stuck in it for all of their miserable shortened lives.

My set up cost about £40, stat from ebay £25, heat mat £9, two hides form plant pot dish things I had, kitchen roll I have and a 9lit rub £6

I have to admit I have for years now not been a fan of putting down pet stores because they do not tell you how to care for the animal you are buying, I think that it is the wrong attitude to encourage.

You dont go to Tesco and buy a joint of beef and expect them to tell you everything you need to know to cook a sunday roast. People shouldnt go to a pet store and expect them to teach you what you need to know to care for the animal.

I know some will not bother to research, though maybe a minimum period between first contact and the sale would help, ie you have to wait a week between first calling/visiting/emailing a pet store and the date they can actually send the animal home with you would help eliminate impulse purchases and then encourage that that period is used to research and prepare...although then I guess the expression you can lead a horse to water.... comes in, but it would help foster a more healthy attitude than relying on a spotty kid on minimum wage to tell you all you need to know.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2010 : 22:32:15
I forgot to mention, I got some mice in the price too.

I didn't do any research as I really trusted my local petshop... I even looked up in book after and they weren't that helpful to be hontest, just listed different types and colours of snakes and how to get them. I my local improved his knowledge on snakes now and he knows his stuff about lizards but that didn't stop him from selling me a viv that he knew I was using for snakes that had a bearded dragon setup... I cannot wait to get rid of this viv >.< he didn't even tell me about bulb guards. I guess the fact he put on some kinda temp control for the lights was good of him but I wish it didn't haven't to be manual and that he put a proper stat in it. I should really slag him off as all the rabbit and bird stuff and animals I got from there were always good, and he's a nice man and he gives me discount and it's really my fault for not looking into it properly...

Hopefully the new owners of the shop know about snakes. Hopefully they can also probe my babies and maybe help me with the non feeders.I just wish that petshops had some kinda caresheet that they gave out with ALL animals. Depending on people who have never had that kind of pet before to know what they are doing is a bit silly. Also rlying on them to ask questions about the stuff they don't know isn't going to happen as they won't know that is what their pet needs.

Sorry about my rant and god bless the internet XD
Lilpunk Posted - 29/03/2010 : 21:18:21
I agree sta~ple, but sometimes shops try to get the most for what they can afford to give If it's too high a price they know people won't buy it - but still! At least my reptile shop puts the animals first; I always respect shops that reserve the right to refuse sales
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/03/2010 : 21:15:14
Im quite lucky that i did alot of research before getting a snake and knew that a stat was such a needed piece of kit.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2010 : 20:54:51
Good job you did your homework ^^

You would think though that the start up kits would include stats also because they aren't really that cheap compared to other snake equipment so you would think they would put a stat in the kit and up the price even more.
Lilpunk Posted - 29/03/2010 : 20:47:44
Good job it wasn't my local shop! (Who are reputable reptiles breeders I might add) I think it's a bad way to give someone their starting push into the snake-keeping world. I had to go and find out for myself that a mat needed regulating!
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2010 : 20:43:34
I noticed that :/ seems very irresponsible of them especially since they are aimed at people who are starting out keeping reptiles.
eeji Posted - 29/03/2010 : 20:38:27
a starter kit isn't a starter kit if theres no thermostat in it, and shops that sell them without should be burned to the ground to see how they like it too hot.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2010 : 18:35:33
Wow, you got all your's cheap...
I payed (well my mum XD) £92. I got a yearling snakey, 2 hides, a glass viv that was 2ft by 1ft, bulb and dimmer, substrate which I think was some kinda beach chip, 2 glass thermometers and a ceramic dog bowl.
Lilpunk Posted - 29/03/2010 : 18:13:24
I got mine for £60 inc.

Glass viv
Aspen substrate
1 hide
Water bowl
thermometre
heat mat

But I had to buy the mat stat seperate to the setup.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/03/2010 : 12:21:46
I payed £65 for a basic set up from a rep shop. It contained.

Large flat faunarium
1 hide
medium exo terra water bowl
5L of aspen
11 x 7 heatmat
Microclimate mat stat
and a book about corn snakes.

I only bought one of these starter kits though the other times i have just ordered all the stuff from 888 reptiles and then bought the snake afterwards.

I think all in all the stuff i have for each snake cost me around £80-£85 aqs i bought plants and another hide aswell as all the stuff in the starter kit.
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2010 : 11:46:18
Wow, that seems a lot to me...£130 is about right I would have thought but £190? Unless you get the snake with it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000