Best price for starter setup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

col654
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  11:39:25  Show Profile  Click to see col654's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi just wondering what the best price for a starter kit for corns. Have seen £130-£190 is that about the right price?
Thanks Colin

1.0.0 Corn Becardi
1.1.0 royal brezer

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  11:46:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, that seems a lot to me...£130 is about right I would have thought but £190? Unless you get the snake with it.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  12:21:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I payed £65 for a basic set up from a rep shop. It contained.

Large flat faunarium
1 hide
medium exo terra water bowl
5L of aspen
11 x 7 heatmat
Microclimate mat stat
and a book about corn snakes.

I only bought one of these starter kits though the other times i have just ordered all the stuff from 888 reptiles and then bought the snake afterwards.

I think all in all the stuff i have for each snake cost me around £80-£85 aqs i bought plants and another hide aswell as all the stuff in the starter kit.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 29/03/2010 12:23:16
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  18:13:24  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got mine for £60 inc.

Glass viv
Aspen substrate
1 hide
Water bowl
thermometre
heat mat

But I had to buy the mat stat seperate to the setup.

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  18:35:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, you got all your's cheap...
I payed (well my mum XD) £92. I got a yearling snakey, 2 hides, a glass viv that was 2ft by 1ft, bulb and dimmer, substrate which I think was some kinda beach chip, 2 glass thermometers and a ceramic dog bowl.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  20:38:27  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a starter kit isn't a starter kit if theres no thermostat in it, and shops that sell them without should be burned to the ground to see how they like it too hot.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  20:43:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I noticed that :/ seems very irresponsible of them especially since they are aimed at people who are starting out keeping reptiles.

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  20:47:44  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good job it wasn't my local shop! (Who are reputable reptiles breeders I might add) I think it's a bad way to give someone their starting push into the snake-keeping world. I had to go and find out for myself that a mat needed regulating!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good job you did your homework ^^

You would think though that the start up kits would include stats also because they aren't really that cheap compared to other snake equipment so you would think they would put a stat in the kit and up the price even more.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  21:15:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im quite lucky that i did alot of research before getting a snake and knew that a stat was such a needed piece of kit.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  21:18:21  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree sta~ple, but sometimes shops try to get the most for what they can afford to give If it's too high a price they know people won't buy it - but still! At least my reptile shop puts the animals first; I always respect shops that reserve the right to refuse sales

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  22:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention, I got some mice in the price too.

I didn't do any research as I really trusted my local petshop... I even looked up in book after and they weren't that helpful to be hontest, just listed different types and colours of snakes and how to get them. I my local improved his knowledge on snakes now and he knows his stuff about lizards but that didn't stop him from selling me a viv that he knew I was using for snakes that had a bearded dragon setup... I cannot wait to get rid of this viv >.< he didn't even tell me about bulb guards. I guess the fact he put on some kinda temp control for the lights was good of him but I wish it didn't haven't to be manual and that he put a proper stat in it. I should really slag him off as all the rabbit and bird stuff and animals I got from there were always good, and he's a nice man and he gives me discount and it's really my fault for not looking into it properly...

Hopefully the new owners of the shop know about snakes. Hopefully they can also probe my babies and maybe help me with the non feeders.I just wish that petshops had some kinda caresheet that they gave out with ALL animals. Depending on people who have never had that kind of pet before to know what they are doing is a bit silly. Also rlying on them to ask questions about the stuff they don't know isn't going to happen as they won't know that is what their pet needs.

Sorry about my rant and god bless the internet XD

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  10:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate starter kits, I have never once seen one suitable for purpose, especially for things like goldfish ones and hamster cages, people dont realise they really are just to start with and temporary and the animal ends up stuck in it for all of their miserable shortened lives.

My set up cost about £40, stat from ebay £25, heat mat £9, two hides form plant pot dish things I had, kitchen roll I have and a 9lit rub £6

I have to admit I have for years now not been a fan of putting down pet stores because they do not tell you how to care for the animal you are buying, I think that it is the wrong attitude to encourage.

You dont go to Tesco and buy a joint of beef and expect them to tell you everything you need to know to cook a sunday roast. People shouldnt go to a pet store and expect them to teach you what you need to know to care for the animal.

I know some will not bother to research, though maybe a minimum period between first contact and the sale would help, ie you have to wait a week between first calling/visiting/emailing a pet store and the date they can actually send the animal home with you would help eliminate impulse purchases and then encourage that that period is used to research and prepare...although then I guess the expression you can lead a horse to water.... comes in, but it would help foster a more healthy attitude than relying on a spotty kid on minimum wage to tell you all you need to know.

Edited by - Kare on 30/03/2010 10:37:59
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  10:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

a starter kit isn't a starter kit if theres no thermostat in it, and shops that sell them without should be burned to the ground to see how they like it too hot.

That should be the 11th commandment.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  14:46:21  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was quoted 65 pound for a starter set up for a snake which inlcuded a thermostat if not i wouldnt ave bought it mind u i must admit i did buy a set up for 60 which didnt have a thermostat with it but i had a spare one to hand

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  23:49:02  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bought my starter kit from 888 reptiles, they priced it at £56

Larger flat faunarium 18"x12"x7 1/2"
ET small medium water dish
ET small hide
1 kg Apsen
Komodo 6"x11" 7w heat mat

I asked them to add a stat and a digi them and they only charged me an extra £3
I also had a spare small snake cave and I got an ET bosten fern and a slk vine. My Elijah does great in it.

On the subject of heat mats I've spoke to a couple of shops asking why they don't sell stats with starter kit and they reckon it's because they are only 7w mats so a stat isn't needed, once you get upto 12w that's when you need stats. Believe me, I'm with eveyone else on here with this, and reluctant to use a mat without a stat. But more on this in my post on the mother site aboutmy scorpion setup. I'll post a link when I have posted the topic.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  23:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my started set for £85.. incuded 2 hatchling corns, 2 fauns, 1 large bag of wood chip, 2 heat mats, thermometers, 2 plants, 2 medium hides, 2 large water bowls, and some pinkies and feeding tweesers..
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  00:12:48  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could also look on ebay or preowned type sites to see if you could pick up a bargain. As long as you've done your research and understand about the housing needs of your snake you should be ok. Although I must admit I do understand why you might want a new setup. It's reassuring knowing that you're putting your snake into a brand new home, rather than one that may have housed a snake with health issues. I know you can clean them etc but it's still a bit of a worry!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

col654
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  12:02:58  Show Profile  Click to see col654's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks all have got my corn cost £100 for the full set up and snake.

1.0.0 Corn Becardi
1.1.0 royal brezer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000