The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 shed + feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 23:20:14
Hi all. My snake is about to have its first shed with me as its eyes have been a cloudy blue for the past two days. It is feeding time tomora so what should i do?? i feed my snake in a shoe box not in its viv, but they cant see when they are about to shed can they??? should i just miss this feed out? ....

Thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/03/2010 : 09:29:48
Personally i would miss the feed. I don't feed mine when they are blue as it can be stressfull for them they also wouldn't feed in the wild if they were blue they would just hide away untill they were ready to shed. I just feed them they day i notice the shed skin.
Kellog Posted - 20/03/2010 : 02:31:51
I must admit to being one of those that doesnt even offer a feed once my snakes have gone blue. Kellog has just done that and is due a feed on Sunday but I wont be trying to.

My thinking is that I try to avoid as much stress as possible for my snakes during this time, therefore no handling or feeding while their vision is impaired. I know they have an amazing sense of smell but I would think it would still be confusing for them to smell a feed but not see it properly....and then to try and strike at it. Considering the short period between them going blue and shedding I dont think the delay worries them - considering they can go for a lot longer without food.

But I will say this is my own personal opinion and I have never tried to feed mine during this period, so it may be that they would feed - I just prefer doing it this way.

xxx
n/a Posted - 20/03/2010 : 00:29:56
i dunno what other people do but id give it ago anyway with a smaller feed size
ari Posted - 20/03/2010 : 00:19:18
my mystery will eat durin a shed, though i always make sure i feed him much smaller meals so he can digest it easily without affecting his shedding mode. hes currently on large mice, so small would be ideal
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/03/2010 : 23:48:21
Many people do feed when their snakes are blue or due to shed, some take the food others don't.

It's preference really, but quite often they wont eat and you'll have wasted some mice.
mozacchio Posted - 19/03/2010 : 23:24:23
As far as i know, it's better not to feed them when they are about to shed. It gets difficult for the snake to shed when it has eaten. Don't worry about it getting hungry or anything! They can live without eating for maaaaaaany days!

Hope i helped,
Electra

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000