shed + feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  23:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. My snake is about to have its first shed with me as its eyes have been a cloudy blue for the past two days. It is feeding time tomora so what should i do?? i feed my snake in a shoe box not in its viv, but they cant see when they are about to shed can they??? should i just miss this feed out? ....

Thanks

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  23:24:23  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As far as i know, it's better not to feed them when they are about to shed. It gets difficult for the snake to shed when it has eaten. Don't worry about it getting hungry or anything! They can live without eating for maaaaaaany days!

Hope i helped,
Electra
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  23:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Many people do feed when their snakes are blue or due to shed, some take the food others don't.

It's preference really, but quite often they wont eat and you'll have wasted some mice.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  00:19:18  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my mystery will eat durin a shed, though i always make sure i feed him much smaller meals so he can digest it easily without affecting his shedding mode. hes currently on large mice, so small would be ideal
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  00:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dunno what other people do but id give it ago anyway with a smaller feed size

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  02:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit to being one of those that doesnt even offer a feed once my snakes have gone blue. Kellog has just done that and is due a feed on Sunday but I wont be trying to.

My thinking is that I try to avoid as much stress as possible for my snakes during this time, therefore no handling or feeding while their vision is impaired. I know they have an amazing sense of smell but I would think it would still be confusing for them to smell a feed but not see it properly....and then to try and strike at it. Considering the short period between them going blue and shedding I dont think the delay worries them - considering they can go for a lot longer without food.

But I will say this is my own personal opinion and I have never tried to feed mine during this period, so it may be that they would feed - I just prefer doing it this way.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  09:29:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Personally i would miss the feed. I don't feed mine when they are blue as it can be stressfull for them they also wouldn't feed in the wild if they were blue they would just hide away untill they were ready to shed. I just feed them they day i notice the shed skin.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000