The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Planted vivariums for corn snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ari Posted - 18/03/2010 : 20:48:28
just wondered if anyone has real plants in their vivs and what the pros and cons are. I've always figured that the more natural and realistic the enviroment the better for the animal.

anyway would be cool to hear if anyone has ever done it, pics and vids would be cool, and also pros and cons

ari
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 19/03/2010 : 03:30:25
I must admit that whenever my corns are out and about and they manage to get into a plant pot before I notice all they want to do is burrow into the soil, so I would have thought that would be quite an issue. The cleaning out is also something that would need thinking about.

The links given by Kehhlyr and Staple are really good, and you may be interested in this one as it is along the same lines - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8164&SearchTerms=grass

I have been really surprised by how realistic the fake plants can look, especially if you add some branches and stones to the viv.

Personally I would say the only pro is that it would look nice as long as the plants thrived (and Eeji's comment about the difficulty in finding something that will grow well in a corn snakes environment). The con list is longer....cleaning, risk of burrowing, trying to keep plants alive and not trashed - I know my corns climb up their plants but then they are fake plants and attached to the walls of the viv so can take their weight, I doubt a real plant could handle such rough treatment.

Hope that is of some help.

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/03/2010 : 01:25:44
I've used grass (in trays) and grown some English Ivy in mine.
The biggest issue I found was when the pots/trays need poo cleaning out of them.
Plastic ones are batter in a lot of ways.

Toxic plant list: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402
eeji Posted - 18/03/2010 : 23:32:13
you would have to find plants that can survive in the environment you create for the snake, which are non toxic to the snake, and can withstand a good pounding from a snake trying to climb on them.

fake is the way to go i think :D
DannyBrown91 Posted - 18/03/2010 : 22:37:57
I just have plastic ones in my fauns but there more for cover than anything else, just thought it was alot less hasle than real plants.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/03/2010 : 21:10:37
Real plants take too much maintenance and care to keep alive and even if you do everything you can to keep them alive, they can die. Also, cleaning the viv out when the is real plants is more challenging and if you snake becomes ill with something, you can just disinfect plastic plants.

I doubt the snake will the difference between plastic and real plants, they will only climb on them and poop on them XD Only people will notice the difference.

I also imagine real plants are more suited to live in animals that require sand substrate or a lot of water rather than aspen, newspaper or any other substrate suitable for corns.

To save money and for the ease I would go with plastic, I don't have any but I am looking into getting some although I'm not entirely sure that is a good idea as I imagine they would climb up on the plant until it falls off the side just like everything else.

List of plants you can use http://www.cornsnake.co.uk/vivarium-plants.php
dinner83 Posted - 18/03/2010 : 21:05:36
i have thought about trying them but also heard of alot that are toxic to corns not sure which one
mikerichards Posted - 18/03/2010 : 21:02:44
personally havent tried it, but i know someone who did, and had the plants dug up, so worth doing it securely, and i think there are plants to avoid, but i dont now which ones.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000