The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 subsrate advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/03/2010 : 17:43:16
hi my partner wants to use wood shavings instead of aspen will my corns be ok with that or should i not use this any advice would be most welcomed. thank you all in advance
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kare Posted - 18/03/2010 : 08:04:52
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

People use it for hamster bedding and masters eat the stuff. I imagine Auboise has some kind of fly repel in it, you really need that stuff for horses

From many years I bred Hamsters and later mice, the majority lived on Auboise (long haired Syrians aside, they used cardboard squares as auboise would possibly matt with their tufty fur) Up until I last brought it (maybe 18-24 months ago) there were no chemicals added and I would have recognised the smell of citronella, they could have changed this but searching on Google "auboise cintronella" only brings up the comparisions with hemcore having it.

When dry it didn't really smell of anything(though I understand it can smell when used in stables as it is sprayed on the first use with water)and I always found it clean and non dusty. Though I imagine excess handling/transport movement could generate dust, especially at the end... or start if you open the bag the other way up.

None of the mice or hamsters ate the substrate, they would dig and flick it with their back paws where they wanted it, and with softer bedding materials carry it in their mouths to make a nest, but they tended to stick to eating food and of course the cage accessories, like the wheels and houses.

On none of my mammal forums have I come across hemcore, I believe it is too new for the old mice/hamster days and have not seen it mentioned on the hedgehog or degu/chinchilla forums I flick through now.
Sta~ple Posted - 17/03/2010 : 16:58:55
I have seen Aubiose for 1kg. But It's like £10. There are some shops around me but theres no way I can persudae someone with a car to take me there.

I have read in another reptile forum that Auboise is quite dusty... I have ni idea if it's true or not but a lot of people on there also agreed that aspen was quite dusty.

I imagine hemcom is fine though and that the chemicals won't be too harsh. People use it for hamster bedding and masters eat the stuff. The fly reple might also be a bonus as well if you think about it, it should repel all little snakey bugs. I imagine Auboise has some kind of fly repel in it, you really need that stuff for horses. Corn snake are a lot more tougher than we think ^^; I mean mine lived on pine pellets for years, it said non toxic on it so I thought it was ok until I did some reading on here and they are still fine.

If you also find out about bigger bails Taz could you say? I imagine the bigger the bail, the cheaper it is so that is what I will aim for and then all I would have to worry about is if the mice and voles decided to come in and make nests and eat it >.<
Taz Devil Posted - 17/03/2010 : 15:20:02
after reading other forums, I have been looking to see if you can get Aubiose in smaller bales (possibly 5Kg or 10Kg) but no luck so far (possible ebay venture for anyone with a 20Kg bale).

I've also emailed Hemcore about the Citronella that is added to their product and if they do it without and also in smaller bails. I'll post up a reply once I get one back from them.
Kellog Posted - 17/03/2010 : 11:39:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

I have been looking around and am very concerned now about the use of the Hemcore.....So does not sound like a chemical that is safe or comfortable for any animal to have as a substrate.

Reading your quote has concerned me as I have just changed to Hemcore, having been assured that it was the same as Aubiouse. I know SB uses it. What does everyone else think? Please give me some expert opinion. (My OH is going to hit the roof if I have to throw out that great big bale , but I did ask for Aubiouse and he came back with the Hemcore.)

xxx
Kare Posted - 17/03/2010 : 08:41:34
I have been looking around and am very concerned now about the use of the Hemcore. The general reports are not only is Hemcore much harsher than Auboise but much more importantly it is treated with Citronella to help prevent flys bothering the horses. (Staple did ask before about the fly repelent stuff, but seems I missed it, and maybe wasnt the only one)

The website here http://www.hemcore.co.uk/bedding.php states "Now with citronella" and I see no mention of them doing a version without it added

Citronella is the chemical you can sometimes smell used at BBQ's to prevent gnats and mozzies, and the chemical most commonly used in animal repellents, including those that are said to work against reptiles. As far as safety goes I have no idea what the long term effects of contact and inhaling the chemical would be, I know in me a fairly speedy effect is a headache.

So does not sound like a chemical that is safe or comfortable for any animal to have as a substrate.
Kare Posted - 17/03/2010 : 07:57:37
There are not many placees in the UK without Horse riders, even in deepest London you can find stables that you wouldnt even guess were there, and I think most people would be surprised how close there nearest shop selling it would be. Have you all looked up local Equestrian or Farm supply stores before ordering online?

Some little "stores" selling it may not be listed on the Auboise store if they are not direct suppliers, but rather buy theirs from a wholesalers.
Sta~ple Posted - 17/03/2010 : 07:22:01
I think I looked at that site and then decided no with the p and p as I couldn't work out if that would be cheaper than buying aspen from somewhere or not since I don't know what litres converted to kg is.
herriotfan Posted - 17/03/2010 : 00:41:03
P+P is £7.00 from this firm.
herriotfan Posted - 17/03/2010 : 00:30:24
Have looked it up...
£9.04 for 20KG from G.J.W. Titmuss Ltd. Listed under Aubiose Hemp Bedding 20KG (1055)
Hope this helps.
herriotfan Posted - 17/03/2010 : 00:21:36
I found some on the internet for £9.04 for a 20kg bale, not sure if this was p+p too. I googled it, can't remember the exact site name, cos I'm a nurd!!!!!Maybe look again when I'm not too busy with the pets.
Sta~ple Posted - 16/03/2010 : 23:25:56
Where do you live and where do you get it from lol XD

I can find 1kg bags on the internet for like £10 and 20kg bags for like £20, this includes posting.
Nazzle Posted - 16/03/2010 : 23:12:21
That's what it says on the package, and I definately can't move it on my own! I'll take a picture (if no one's emptied it into bins yet) and post it. Our supplier orders it in for us as she doesn't normally stock it. We buy everything by bulk as it's cheaper and we have space to store it (as it's at work). I have to say most of our suppliers sell to us at trade/cost either as a good will gesture or in return for free advertising. I have been warned to expect prices to rise quite steeply due to the "new" reptile market.
Sta~ple Posted - 16/03/2010 : 11:41:32
50?????? That weighs more than me! I can't even find any in that amount, the most I can find is 20kg and it's like £10 so I'm not sure if I would be saving or not (terrible maths skills). I mean 50kg does sound more right for horse bedding but o.o;
Kare Posted - 16/03/2010 : 10:11:49
50kg? that is the weight of a small adult!

Are you 100% sure it is 50kg? I ask as I am really not sure how a company would get away with selling in such large weights with legal and health and safety concerns. If you think that most flat pack furniture would be designed to be split to be sold in boxes under 20kg and food in weights of approx 15kg max.
Kellog Posted - 16/03/2010 : 03:28:16
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

My bale's 50kg. Must have a good deal (the conversation went along the lines of ooohh you taught my son last week, he loved it).

Must have been a very good deal!! Am almost positive mine is a 20kg bag and it cost about the same as yours! Wonder if the price difference has something to do with yours being Aubiouse and mine being Hemcore - yours being the French version and mine being the English version (supposedly).

I must say that it is very tightly packed and has to be 'broken into' to loosen it for the viv....but it is perfect and both snakes are burrowing in it quite happily (which was my only worry with the difference between it and shavings).

xxx
Nazzle Posted - 15/03/2010 : 19:57:34
My bale's 50kg. Must have a good deal (the conversation went along the lines of ooohh you taught my son last week, he loved it).
Kare Posted - 15/03/2010 : 10:22:53
Yes it is a bag of very solidly packed in chips. I use to use a metal ruler or bowl to seperate some off each time, especially when in the centre of the bag.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/03/2010 : 07:57:38
I did find a website you could buy from as that is probably my best bet... there's a few farmers around here but they wouldn't sell bedding. I expected it to be bigger... like that size in inches since it's for horses. I have found out it's like 20kg and I'm thinking that the size you said is what size sawdust we used to get for our rabbits. I guess it's packed really tightly then? I guess I will have to order some myself and see if it's any good. If it is I can tell my mother in law she could use it for her chickens :3 If I find a good and cheap website I'll post it up here.
Kellog Posted - 15/03/2010 : 03:28:39
I did what Nazzle suggested, phoned the number and they gave me list of local suppliers. Not sure of weight of my bag (have looked all over it but cant find weight ) but it is approximately 80 x 40 x 40cm, and cost about the same as Nazzle's. Mine in the Hemcore, they did have Aubiouse but it was all wet. It is horse bedding made from the soft core of the hemp plant stem. My only problem was that none of my local supplier would deliver only one bale so I had to pick it up, but it was definitely worth it.

Kellog been burrowing in it today and it looks so good. It has now filled 2 vivs and has barely scratched the surface of the bale.

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 14/03/2010 : 22:41:43
That's o.o; how many kg is one bale? And how big is it? Sorry for the questions x.x it's just that I've just been looking into switching to something like aspen or but it seems so expensive so this would be ideal really if I can find room somewhere to put it. My other choice I have is like some rubber bark but it doesn't absorb anything... I'm guessing the fly repel stuff in it doesn't harm the snake then?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000