The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake related DIY question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kare Posted - 02/03/2010 : 11:07:20
I am looking down that list as I plan to shortly have a Corn snake and an African Pymgy hedgehog and I think I will make a stacked system to house them both, possibly with a third section at the bottom for storage knowing eventually I will find a third inhabitant, however I do not see anywhere any instructions on how to make the vent holes or where to buy the vents. I saw one that doesnt mention vents, how important is a vent?

I assume the people making these things have more knowledge than me and would normally know these things, are the runners for the glass easily available? What about the perspex, where does this normally get brought from? and how do you cut it?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sexychef Posted - 04/03/2010 : 19:55:11
i have got some stiff perspexs in my stack bends a little but needs alot of force. and mine seems quite scratch resistant
matty18714 Posted - 04/03/2010 : 19:41:18
I have perspex doors in one of my (snake) vivs, dont like it much but im not changing it now. It scratches and bows.
eeji Posted - 04/03/2010 : 19:37:59
does anyone have perspex sliding doors in a viv? I used it once in a 4' tall viv for lizards and I thought it was too bendy to use for a snake (easily pushed past) - I don't know what it would be like in a shorter set up
Azzheasman Posted - 04/03/2010 : 16:38:39
i went to the local pound shop and got a wire mesh bin cut the top and bottom off and you have a sheet of vent :) cut it to the size and shape you want with some snips screw it the OUTSIDE of the viv and put a nice little wooden surround on it to cover the edges less then a quid and i got 3 feet of vent material :)
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 17:07:01
Go onto Ebay ! :)
Kellog Posted - 03/03/2010 : 03:19:39
Dont knock the blondness Kare....you are showing fantastic forethought and planning in what you want and what you will need in the future !!

xxx
Kare Posted - 02/03/2010 : 16:22:16
Thanks all, I will look out for the bits to start building.

and yeah I realise that it could be 18 months after I get my snake before it is comfortable to live in a larger viv, however being a rather blonde female I feel I may need that long to get something livable built lol
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:54:34
we bought our vents from B&Q i think, and Danny is a builder so he had the relevent size drill bit to make the hole. I've seen some vivs with just small holes drilled in it in a circle though [:S]
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:49:33
Another thing to consider is that if you plan on buying a hatchling corn snake it may be best to house him in a small plastic tub or faunarium untill he is big enough to make the move into a wooden vivarium.
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:44:10
Or for vents, you could use these: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9271828&fh_view_size=20&fh_start_index=0&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=vent&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1267537355780&isSearch=true

Pack of 6 for less than a fiver.
sexychef Posted - 02/03/2010 : 11:22:51
with my viv build http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1796 i brough vents off ebay and perspex of ebay. to make the holes you need a 'hole drill bit'.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000