The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Regurge!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 10:29:27
Hi all, really looking for some advice please. I've had my Corn Snake (Eugene) for about 4 months now (and i think he's about 1 yr old).

For the past month and a half or so i've been giving him 2 fuzzy's once a week and everything has been fine until his last feed on Friday just gone. He took them both as usual, but i noticed on Saturday evening that he had brought them both back up in one of the corners of his viv.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what causes a snake to regurge their food???

Cheers
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 10/04/2010 : 03:36:11
quote:
Originally posted by shaka1980

........ i've had him since november and he's shed 3 times, but never fully. I've always had to assist with it. Hopefully next time he sheds it will be in one piece (fingers crossed).

As you've all heard since i came on this site he's been hard work, but so damn worth it!!

Have you tried to add some humidity to his viv once he goes 'blue'? You can put an extra waterbowl on the heatmat and also mist the viv once a day. You can add a moist/damp hide....there is lots of info about what you can do if you search on here. It would be so good for Eugene to be able to shed fully and without help, especially as he has come so far .

These links may help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7492&SearchTerms=humidity
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4185&SearchTerms=bad,shed
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8072&SearchTerms=bad+shed
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699&SearchTerms=moss,hide.

I know Eugene has been hard work, but he is just so blessed to have you as his owner as you have stuck with him and persevered - and you are right....he is worth it!

xxx
n/a Posted - 09/04/2010 : 18:54:40
Yeah i'll be putting him back in the tub for when he has his next feed, although it is the exact same tub i've always used, but just not inside his viv.

Its been a while since his last shed, i've had him since november and he's shed 3 times, but never fully. I've always had to assist with it. Hopefully next time he sheds it will be in one piece (fingers crossed).

As you've all heard since i came on this site he's been hard work, but so damn worth it!!
mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 12:58:30
Glad for you!
It'll be just fine, don't worry..!
Kellog Posted - 09/04/2010 : 03:16:34
quote:

Well since the pet shop suggested putting him in a tub inside his viv for a feed, he's now fed 3 times (albeit only pinkies) without any regurges!!

Looks like he's starting to get back to normal. I've also took him out of his tub and let him have the full run of his viv again. He seems a lot better and will be trying him with a fuzzy at the weekend. Just building him back up slowly. What a scare i had with him.

Once he's back to full fitness i'll get some more pics on here, just so he can also show his appreciation for all of your help and advice.

It must be such a relief to you Carl that Eugene is feeding regularly and keeping it down, I am not surprised it was a scare for you - I would have hated to go through what has happened to Eugene with my snakes , I have had Silvesta regurge once and that was bad enough.

It may have only been pinkies so far but it is a start and needed to slowly build him up so he can be ready for his first fuzzy - I hope that feed goes as successfully.

Just think, he must be putting on weight at last, slowly, so you can look forward to a shed in the near future !

Seeing him back in his viv again must be great, back where he belongs! Will you move him from his viv back into the tub for feeding?

Cant wait to see pics of him and see how well he is doing - and it is down to your great petshop and your persistence in not giving up on him....well done!

xxx

n/a Posted - 08/04/2010 : 20:44:52
Well since the pet shop suggested putting him in a tub inside his viv for a feed, he's now fed 3 times (albeit only pinkies) without any regurges!!

Looks like he's starting to get back to normal. I've also took him out of his tub and let him have the full run of his viv again. He seems a lot better and will be trying him with a fuzzy at the weekend. Just building him back up slowly. What a scare i had with him.

Once he's back to full fitness i'll get some more pics on here, just so he can also show his appreciation for all of your help and advice.
elament Posted - 02/04/2010 : 11:45:01
Brilliant. Pleased to hear it and congrats. Also nice to know of another pet shop that gives out good advice.

Cheers

Steve
Kellog Posted - 02/04/2010 : 04:47:22
quote:

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is fantastic news Carl - I am so pleased for you and so relieved! (I can also understand why you were so happy to see a poo , disgusting as it sounds!)

I wonder what was going on then??? But at least the lump has shrunk a bit, he has kept a pinkie down and digested it enough to poo....so the next step is the next feed.

I am glad you got such good advice on what to do, and it sounds like you have a plan to follow on where to go from now .

Just slow baby steps back to recovery, but am so glad it is finally looking so positive....for both you and Eugene!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 19:39:11
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i did exactly what the pet shop suggested. Put him in a smaller tub with his water, put him in his viv for 24 hours, and then put a small pinky in on Sunday Tea-time.
Woke up on monday and it had gone!!!!!

I left him in there, just changing his water every morning, and then on wednesday morning he left a lovely poo for me!!!!!
I've never been so happy to see a snake poo. lol

I'm going to leave him where he is and try him with another pinky on saturday or sunday, and then just slowly build him back up before putting him back in his viv properly.

It also appears that the lump has shrunk a little bit.

Will keep you all posted, but signs are looking good.
Kellog Posted - 29/03/2010 : 03:37:23
Oh Carl, I am so sorry to hear that . I am assuming that they have ruled out impaction as the lump is not far enough down to be near the vent? When was the last time he pooed?

I do hope he eats it....and then doesnt regurge again. At least now you have some sort of explanation and you can act on it immediately after the 24hrs with the pinkie in the tub (if it is still there or if he regurges is ). Do you have a herp vet near you?

Will be thinking of you both....

xxx
mozacchio Posted - 28/03/2010 : 13:02:04
Hope everything turns out fine.. :/
Don't worry just yet.
I know it's not easy but try to.
Leave him alone as they advised you and then see what happens.
Keep us updated.
Electra
n/a Posted - 28/03/2010 : 12:48:00
Well i took Eugene down to the pet shop yesterday so they could have a look at him. Good news and bad news was to follow.

Good news is they have found out why he isn't feeding!!!

Bad news is, its because he has a lump inside him about 2/3rd's of the way down his body. .

They've advised me to put him in a smallish tub, put his water bowl in it, put the tub in his viv and leave him completely alone for 24 hours. Then put a very small pinky in and again leave him alone for 24 hours.

They reckon he should take it. If he does and if he passes it through then just to repeat again slowly to build him back up as he has definately lost weight as you can really feel the ridge down his back.
If he doesnt pass it through or regurges again they've told me to get him down to the vet as the lump could be either an absess (think thats how its spelt) or even a tumour!!!!!! Poor Eugene.

Going to put the pinky in about tea time tonight and pray.
Kellog Posted - 28/03/2010 : 04:07:51
So sorry he didnt eat the fuzzy Carl . Hope the rep shop can give you some answers.

How much weight has he lost?

xxx
n/a Posted - 27/03/2010 : 12:14:41
The fuzzy was still there this morning!!!

I'm actually going down to my local reptile pet store today to get some crickets for my Bearded Dragon, so i'm going to bring Eugene down with me and ask the pet shop a few questions as well.

As always i'll keep ya all posted.
Nazzle Posted - 26/03/2010 : 21:05:50
Shylah regurged then went for a long, worrying time without feeding. Luckily my local rep shop helped me get him started again and now he's eating really well (although his weights aren't going up as much as I'd like). The rep shop fed him EXACTLY the same way I had been and had him at exactly the same temps, the only difference was the substrate he was on (he was changed to paper), a completely quiet room (although we're not exactly having house parties at home) and was fed in his RUB. Don't lose heart yet. I hope it all goes better next feed.
n/a Posted - 26/03/2010 : 19:13:06
He hasnt took it. Gonna leave the fuzzy in his hide overnight and if its still there in the morning then its down to the vet (unless anyone else has got any other last suggestions.

Now 4 weeks since he fed. I could be well off the mark with this, but does anyone think that feeding him in his usual feeding tub is putting him off? just the fact that he might associate that having a fuzzy in there with bringing them back up 2 weeks in a row (if that makes sense). lol
n/a Posted - 26/03/2010 : 16:35:57
How did it all go?
xXx
n/a Posted - 26/03/2010 : 16:21:52
Thanks Guys
elament Posted - 26/03/2010 : 15:14:15
Good luck!
Sta~ple Posted - 26/03/2010 : 14:46:35
I hope he eats for you.
n/a Posted - 26/03/2010 : 14:30:30
Well i'm going to try Eugene with a feed again today. If he doesnt take it I think i'll going to have to get him down to the vet .

It'll be 4 weeks today since he took a feed a kept it down. So wish me luck people, keep everything crossed for him!!! lol

I'll post again tomorrow to let you all know what happens.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000