Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, really looking for some advice please. I've had my Corn Snake (Eugene) for about 4 months now (and i think he's about 1 yr old).

For the past month and a half or so i've been giving him 2 fuzzy's once a week and everything has been fine until his last feed on Friday just gone. He took them both as usual, but i noticed on Saturday evening that he had brought them both back up in one of the corners of his viv.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what causes a snake to regurge their food???

Cheers

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:41:29  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
first off check your temps make sure they are correct.
secondly dont panic just yet
thridly dont feed or handle again for at least 10days so your corns stomach sorts itself out.
when you do offer the next feed go a little smaller than normal.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have anything really to add to what SexyChef has said except to say that I have recently been through the same thing with Silvesta....although with him it was over 40hrs after feeding that he regurged the mice, and although one was partially digested the other was not even touched....just very long and stretched out .

I checked everything in the viv, making sure the temps were right which is most important. Corns need warmth to help them digest their meal and any drop in that heat will cause a stop in digestion. What are the temps in your viv and how are you heating it?

The second bit of SexyChef's advice is right....but easy to say and hard to do!! It is very worrying when something like this happens and you dont understand it and you dont know if it is going to happen again. But you do know that you have the forum to turn to for support and advice...and that is so reassuring.

I also waited the 10 days. This is because the snakes stomach needs time to settle down after the regurge and for the stomach flora to rebalance before facing more food.

I then fed him 1 medium mouse rather than 2...and held my breath. He kept it down and I fed him another 1 in 5 days, rather than the usual week I would leave when he had 2. Each time after only giving him the 1 he was not a happy snake as he was obviously still hungry!! I am feeding him again tomorrow and plan on returning him to his usual schedule of 2 medium mice every week.

Check out this link for more information on regurgitation - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792.

It really is a case of what and see what happens the next time you feed him. Until then try and stay calm, and let us know how he is getting on.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 02/03/2010 12:06:45
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  11:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

I actually didnt get a chance to get back on here to see your advice until today. Unfortunately i went ahead and fed him again last night (only 7 days after his re-gurge), and woke up this morning to another re-gurge.

I've currently got the temp set at 29 degrees using a standard heatmat with a hide in both warm and cold areas of viv.

I'll leave it the full 10 days this time round and keep handling to a minumum as well, while keeping everything crossed and hope that his next feed goes well. I'll keep you updated though.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  12:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its hard not to worry and stress i know but it could be down to a huge number of factors, violet regurged and hasn't fed for 4 weeks now shes under a year old and i'v been a bit on edge but she shed today(th subsiquent offerings were ignored) i didn't notice and showed no obvious signs of this (shes anery and missed her eyes clouding, didn't look dull) so hopefully she'll feed this week :)
fingers crossed with yours and i'm sure he'll be fine, your doing all you can.

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  21:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be just a really random thought but it was a factor for me a few years ago. Is it a new batch of mice? I bought an "off" pack of mice a while back from a "non-specific" reptile shop (i.e. their main outlet was rabbits, dogs & cats etc.) and fed mine, they both took the food only to both regurge through the night. I threw them away after thinking that something was telling me it wasn't habitat/health related- bought a new lot elsewhere and the next feed was fine for both snakes! The shop must have had them in their freezer for months and months- or they have been thawed and refrozen. Ironically the shop doesn't sell frozen rodents anymore!

Although it shouldn't be that if you got them from somewhere "snake- specific" but I thought I would just put that out there.

Hope the next feed goes well!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  19:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the extra advice guys. The mice are from the same shop that i always get them from, and its a reptile specific shop (really good), so not sure if its the mice.

A little while back I posted a few pics of Eugene on here and a few people mentioned the vivarium might actually be a bit too big/bare for him. He's about 2 foot in length and i've got him in a 2.5ft x 1.5ft viv, with only a hide in the warm and cool area. I've since been out and "pimped" up the viv with another hide, a log and some fake plants/bushes, as the empty space may have been stressing him out. Hopefully this will make him a little happier. Its his usual feeding night tomorrow but i'm going to leave it another 5/6 days before i try him again.

Will keep you all posted.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  17:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  03:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did Eugene feed ok Carl? Did he keep it down?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well its been 10 days since he regurged for the 2nd time. I've left him totally alone since (which has been hard) and thought i'd try him today with the smallest fuzzy left.

I got him out for 10 mins or so, which was great, before putting him in his feeding tub, warmed the fuzzy up as usual, and he wasnt in the least bit interested (and i brained it as well). I've now put him back in his viv and left the fuzzy outside his hide to see if he wants it later (fingers crossed).

I dont know if the following points are a good or bad thing, or totally irrelevant but he's hardly been out of his hides since he last regurged, but was kind enough to leave a poo for me 2 days ago.

Once again all comments and advice are more than welcome.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  21:15:10  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im not sure if it makes much of a difference but i probably wouldnt handle him so much before a feed. I only get alice out of the viv and hold him long enough to settle him, then place him in the feedin tub to be weighed and then fed.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  03:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry that Eugene hasnt shown any interest in feeding this time round (and I do hope that fuzzy is gone when you wake up!).

I would agree with KD on the handling before a feed, it is always best to keep contact to a minimum immediately before feeding to avoid stress, but I doubt very much that it would have changed the outcome.

Have you weighed him at all? Do you know if he is loosing a lot of weight? Was the poo a normal looking on?

I am afraid I dont really know what to else to say, except that you offer him food on his next feeding day and this time try braining the fuzzy or warming it up.

Checkout this link, it is helpful - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

Sorry I cant help more.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/03/2010 03:56:57
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  10:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the fuzzy was still there this morning .

Going to leave him till sunday and try him again. Fingers crossed he takes it.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think this site is great. Everything i know about snakes now is down to all the help etc. from you lot.

Will keep you all posted as to what happens with Eugene.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  16:24:14  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
May be an idea to get some reptoboost and put it in his water. If he keeps regurging you can take him to a decent rep dealer or vet for a dose of antiflagtulant (prob spelt that wrong feel free to correct me people). This is something they can syringe into the snakes gob and will help stablize his stomach juices. When Colin went off the feed recently I stuck to offering only on his normal feed day as hard as it was as I feel sticking to the routine is important as if you keep offering him food every few days the frustration when he refuses can add to your worry not to mention the cost of wasted prey.
Persevere with what you are doing and if in doubt these guys will help with advice along the way.
Good Luck

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  14:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i'm going to try Eugene with a feed again today. If he doesnt take it I think i'll going to have to get him down to the vet .

It'll be 4 weeks today since he took a feed a kept it down. So wish me luck people, keep everything crossed for him!!! lol

I'll post again tomorrow to let you all know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  14:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope he eats for you.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  15:14:15  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck!

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  16:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did it all go?
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  19:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He hasnt took it. Gonna leave the fuzzy in his hide overnight and if its still there in the morning then its down to the vet (unless anyone else has got any other last suggestions.

Now 4 weeks since he fed. I could be well off the mark with this, but does anyone think that feeding him in his usual feeding tub is putting him off? just the fact that he might associate that having a fuzzy in there with bringing them back up 2 weeks in a row (if that makes sense). lol
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  21:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shylah regurged then went for a long, worrying time without feeding. Luckily my local rep shop helped me get him started again and now he's eating really well (although his weights aren't going up as much as I'd like). The rep shop fed him EXACTLY the same way I had been and had him at exactly the same temps, the only difference was the substrate he was on (he was changed to paper), a completely quiet room (although we're not exactly having house parties at home) and was fed in his RUB. Don't lose heart yet. I hope it all goes better next feed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000