The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Vivariums

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbarnes92 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 20:23:16
Okay so asuka is 13'' long, and the faunarium she is in looks crumby in my room and I'm getting a nice wage packet soon and was thinking of buying her a nice vivarium, if I packed it out with branches / greenery with a couple of hides and decor would this be okay to house her?
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/compact-vivariums--1310/vivexotic-36in-compact-vivarium-beech-138751.html

failing that how about this one?
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/compact-vivariums--1310/vivexotic-24in-compact-vivarium-oak-138749.html
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 06:45:49
The people in this forum will tell you that the length of your snake should be the length of the viv plus one width. My first viv for Snickers was a beginners setup and it was 20 inches long. When I first started using it she was about 11 inches long and it took her a while to start climbing around on stuff. They do prefer much smaller spaces. I bought a large viv for Snickers this time because I didn't want to buy an in between size. She is 33 inches long now and the viv is 3' 3" long. I've got it well furnished and she still remains hidden much more than she did in the smaller viv. The only time she comes out is when I take her out. In the smaller viv, she was much more active. At 13 inches, your baby does not need a lot of room to be happy. Even with "packing it out" they still aren't really happy in an oversized viv. [quote]Originally posted by jbarnes92
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 00:00:11
This is the kind of thing Sexy Bear is suggesting:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Aquarium-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Fish-Tank-Water_W0QQitemZ230427279657QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item35a6894129

I have ordered these before (you can get same ones as these a bit cheaper from Hong Kong but they can take a while getting here) and they work great. And I'm yet to replace the batteries; unlike my ExoTerras!
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 21:11:02
They are pretty cheap of ebay, and all you need to do is thread the probe into the faun and leave the actual body of the therm with the screen on the outside.
jbarnes92 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 21:09:26
Yeah I meant a thermometer, what a doughnut! I was using Aspen which caused temp problems so I changed to wood chippings and it made a whole lot of difference! The Aspen wasn that thick (about 3/4 of an inch) and the the small heat mat produced about 21C and she burrowed to the mat, so I done my research and put wood chippings in where the heat mat penetrates it a little easier and now it's perfect at about 28C and about 24C at night, suppose I could just put the thermometer in the cold end for a day and check the temp rather than buying one!
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:58:53
Thermostat doesn't need to go IN your faun, only the probe, unless I've misunderstood what you wrote
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:58:05
quote:
Originally posted by jbarnes92

No I mean the faun itself, I have a large standard exo Terra faun with 1 hide, water bowl, a treated self-prepared twig going across the length (referred to the D.I.Y section) and a thermostat.. And it already looks jam packed! I really need a thermostat and hide in the cool side but simply cannot fit it in.. Hence one of the reasons I asked about getting a viv..

There is no need for a thermostat in the cold end... Do you mean a thermometer? I have a dial thermometer which i got with the tanks in the cold end, i don't really feel the need for it if im honest, it stays around 20 degrees which is good enough. I'll know if the cold end of the tank is too cold because my bedroom would also be cold.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:54:56
My set ups don't look too bad, all 3 have a snake cave in the cold end, hide out cave in the warm end, medium water bowl a plant and a vine.

I also put a toilet paper tube in my candycanes tank since he is so tiny i thought it might feel more cosy than the two caves which even though are small, are huge compared to him.
jbarnes92 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:51:36
No I mean the faun itself, I have a large standard exo Terra faun with 1 hide, water bowl, a treated self-prepared twig going across the length (referred to the D.I.Y section) and a thermostat.. And it already looks jam packed! I really need a thermostat and hide in the cool side but simply cannot fit it in.. Hence one of the reasons I asked about getting a viv..
LittleMick Posted - 14/02/2010 : 19:17:37
Personally I don't agree with the "Too much space stesses out snakes" theory, BUT saying that, the welfare of any anima in my care is paramount, so I can't ignore the possibility. SO .... I would stick with the faun for now. he still has alot of growth in her to out grow it.

When you say it look crumby, do you mean the faun itself? Or it's contents? Any enclosure can look "crumby" or what I would call steryle. I daresay the snake doesn't really care as along as it's basic needs are met, hides, temps, food/water source.

It's generally the Americans that tend to keep to steryle enclosures and us Europeans that like to flash things up abit. Elijah is in the Exo Terra Large Flat Faun and I think it looks great, a Plastic Boston Fern, an ET Silk Vine along one of the lengths, a water dish and his 2 hides with Aspen substrate. I've done as much as I can with the size but he doen't need any more.

He was about 13" when I got him, he is now 18.1" and he will saty in there a good while longer yet, I'll re-evaluate at 24-30".
jbarnes92 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 23:36:09
Okay, I'll still buy it as I have the money and stuff for her so I've got it ready.. Just won't put her in yet (sigh)
Danny I've got the same faun as you, it's just it's starting to look a bit.. Out of place as it's laying next to my bed (best way I thought of her getting used to my smell)
may make a Viv in college if I find the time and purposely build in some slots so I can section it off..hmmm
SexyBear77 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 22:50:50
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

To be honest, its too big, i know if you pack it out with all kinds of stuff you can make the effective space smaller, but its really too big.
By all means buy it, but i really wouldnt use it yet.
I am sure others would disagree with me, but my personal opinion, i wouldnt.

THIS.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/02/2010 : 21:22:54
If your corn is 13 inches long i would keep it in the faun for a while yet. My Bloodred is around 14 - 15 inches long and still has plenty of room left in his faun yet.

Im with Mike on this one, both of those vivs are too big. How big is your faun? I have the large exo terra faun and i think i measured that it should be ok housing my snakes untill they are around 18 inches long at which point i am going to buy the VX36 vivs and section 1/3 off, expanding it as he gets bigger.
mikerichards Posted - 13/02/2010 : 20:59:21
To be honest, its too big, i know if you pack it out with all kinds of stuff you can make the effective space smaller, but its really too big.
By all means buy it, but i really wouldnt use it yet.
I am sure others would disagree with me, but my personal opinion, i wouldnt.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 13/02/2010 : 20:49:31
EITHER ONE WOULD BE GREAT, DON'T FORGET THAT CORN DON'T LIKE HUGE SPACES!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000