The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 can corn snakes swim?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fernando Pierre Posted - 07/02/2010 : 13:39:35
can corn snakes swim?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fernando Pierre Posted - 12/02/2010 : 15:23:32
lol lol lol hahaha
Fal Posted - 11/02/2010 : 22:16:39
LOL *makes mental note not to let Bella into sleeve unless recently pooped*

My bro took our bearded dragon into the front room one time, and all I heard was AARRRGGHHHH.... I chuckled to myself as he came back in sporting a nice bigt arm covering dump mwuahaha...
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 18:56:43
That's why I don't allow Snickers back into my shirt until I know she's already dumped. I've been her dump spot a few times now.
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

My albino boa went up kates sleeve the first day we got her, there she had an almighty dump! Its was not nice at all, apparently, i found it quite amusing, for a short while anyway!

Fernando Pierre Posted - 11/02/2010 : 18:25:32
haha and mine does the same (does not poo though!)
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 17:42:21
My albino boa went up kates sleeve the first day we got her, there she had an almighty dump! Its was not nice at all, apparently, i found it quite amusing, for a short while anyway!
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 17:20:25
Snickers goes around my neck down into the front of my shirt and down the length of the sleeve and sticks her head out at my wrist. she stays there for several minutes at a time until i have to do something and take her out.
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

my corn doesn't go straight in to my shirt he normally goes around my neck and up my arm etc.... now

Fernando Pierre Posted - 11/02/2010 : 16:49:24
mikerichards Posted - 11/02/2010 : 16:38:21
Cool mate.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:29:37
my corn doesn't go straight in to my shirt he normally goes around my neck and up my arm etc.... now
Kellog Posted - 11/02/2010 : 03:45:53
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

Out of interest, why no deeper than the snake itself?? they dont sink! I dont bathe mine very often, but i recently had a spate of mites, which seems to be recurring again!, and i put them in a tub 3/4 full, they dont struggle at all.

because when they've had enough they've go nowhere to go - in the wild they'll only swim to get from A to B, not for the fun of it or for the excercise.
Putting a corn in a too deep bath IMO is just plain stupid and irresponsible

Its only irresponsible if you leave them on their own for long periods of time, which i dont.
All my snakes have water bowls that are deeper than they are, and quite often they will go in there just for the hell of it, i know this because there is no other explainable reason for their behaviour, they dont have mites, and their temps are perfectly ok.
Calling me irresponsible and stupid IMO is just plain rude and unjustified, considering you do not know all the facts.

I cant comment on the depth of water required but I do feel that the tone of response was unnecessary, especially considering that nothing is known about Mike....but it should be obvious from his other comments that he is a keeper of a number of years experience and therefore has his own way of doing things. I think all rep keepers with experience have formed their own (successful) ways of keeping and that should be respected.

I do take your point Eeji, and I am not saying I dont agree with you, all I am saying is that it could have been worded a lot better.

xxx
mikerichards Posted - 10/02/2010 : 22:22:55
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

Out of interest, why no deeper than the snake itself?? they dont sink! I dont bathe mine very often, but i recently had a spate of mites, which seems to be recurring again!, and i put them in a tub 3/4 full, they dont struggle at all.

because when they've had enough they've go nowhere to go - in the wild they'll only swim to get from A to B, not for the fun of it or for the excercise.
Putting a corn in a too deep bath IMO is just plain stupid and irresponsible

Its only irresponsible if you leave them on their own for long periods of time, which i dont.
All my snakes have water bowls that are deeper than they are, and quite often they will go in there just for the hell of it, i know this because there is no other explainable reason for their behaviour, they dont have mites, and their temps are perfectly ok.
Calling me irresponsible and stupid IMO is just plain rude and unjustified, considering you do not know all the facts.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 10/02/2010 : 16:12:55
haha kwl!
n/a Posted - 09/02/2010 : 19:34:16
I've seen Snickers swim. She didn't like it, but she did it.
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

can corn snakes swim?

Fal Posted - 09/02/2010 : 17:03:19
Go for it, although if I were to get another lizard, it'd be another Leopard Gecko! No lighting, toilet trained (they choose a corner and always go there, ours chose a half coconut so effectively its his toilet lol), eat their skin when they shed so no clean up there, heat mat etc (same as corn) for heating, feed 2-4 days a week when adult and they don't eat much at all! Tame etc..

As for beardies, they eat a lot, especially in the first year when growing, and seem to like pooping then running through it, messy beggars, mind you, they have soooo much character and are great to handle!! I'm glad we got Draco, but think Leo's and Corns are easier to look after, but again, Draco is ace and such a fun character especially when out of his tank :) so go for it and good luck! Let us know if you get one!

Sorry, i'm thread jacking again... people mention beardies or leo's and it sets me off yapping - just slap me... sowwy hehe..
n/a Posted - 09/02/2010 : 16:33:31
Fal you could be a genius (inadvertantly)!

The girlfriend doesn't want another snake but I had a rescued elderly leopard geko a while back and the missus loved him. Maybe get her onto the idea of a berdie!?
Fal Posted - 09/02/2010 : 14:54:29
They also take moisture through their vent, hence bathing. Some beardies do drink from standing water though, i've seen it, but not our boy lol that'd be too much trouble for him. He loves bathing though, ducks his head under the water and actually baths himself, he never tries to get out of the bath or climbs onto the island towel, we give him 10-15mins then take him out and he's always happy as larry. Won't be doing it with Bella though, unless she ever has problems shedding or needs assistance passing her food (hopefully neither will happen).

Anywhoo, don't want Fernando thinking i'm thread jacking, so back to snakes lol
eeji Posted - 09/02/2010 : 14:44:11
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

We bath our Bearded Dragon regularly and it does help them pass their stools due to the heat on their tummy which helps digestion - hence why reptiles need heat (basking for beardies) after feeding, and the pressue also helps massage it through if you get my meaning. We put a towel in with him that is only half in the water, so if he has enough, he can climb onto the towel, we know he's had enough and can take him out! Not sure if this would help with snakes should you bath one due to impaction fear or shedding? But it can't harm to give them an 'island' :)

Oh yes, and, as mentioned above, we also bath our beardie because many of them don't drink from standing water, and so he rehydrates through bathing, but if he did drink from standing water, we probably wouldn't bath him unless he was shedding.

beardies get most of their moisture through their food so you'll most likely not see them drinking very often ;)
Fernando Pierre Posted - 09/02/2010 : 14:19:24
thanks for the info!
Fal Posted - 09/02/2010 : 08:53:48
We bath our Bearded Dragon regularly and it does help them pass their stools due to the heat on their tummy which helps digestion - hence why reptiles need heat (basking for beardies) after feeding, and the pressue also helps massage it through if you get my meaning. We put a towel in with him that is only half in the water, so if he has enough, he can climb onto the towel, we know he's had enough and can take him out! Not sure if this would help with snakes should you bath one due to impaction fear or shedding? But it can't harm to give them an 'island' :)

Oh yes, and, as mentioned above, we also bath our beardie because many of them don't drink from standing water, and so he rehydrates through bathing, but if he did drink from standing water, we probably wouldn't bath him unless he was shedding.
Kellog Posted - 09/02/2010 : 04:49:24
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by elament

Dunno if I got this right but I read on here that bathing a snake can also help in cases where the snake is quite dehydrated as (and I quote) snakes can absorb moisture through their skins by osmosis. All I can say is it certainly helped my Xena when she was dehydrated.

How can you tell if a snakes is dehydrated?

Things to watch for dehydration are dark, sunken eyes, possibly with a dent in the occular scale or eye cap and if you gently pinch the skin (difficult to do on a small snake though) the skin should spring back straight away instead of 'tenting' - remaining stood up when it was gently pinched

(Plagiarized from a comment of GP's, obviously )

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000