The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Housing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Figs Posted - 05/02/2010 : 20:20:41
sorry... i'm completely new to snakes!
(i have got lots of lizards though)

i'd appreciate your opinions on this if its no too much trouble.
I'm thinking of getting myself a baby corn some time.
Would this be ok to house one in?
http://www.thepet-shoponline.co.uk/komodo-snake-hatchling-starter-kit-3122-p.asp
and if so, for how long about?
i was thinking of using paper towels instead of the aspen though - just in case :)

and jumping the gun a little here... would an adult corn be happy in a 5x2' wooden viv?

i'd just like to get all the info i can before i run out and buy my snake
thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
headlow Posted - 05/02/2010 : 22:23:45
That Kathy Love book is fantastic. Everything you'll need to know is in there, plus there's also this forum to help you out.
Fal Posted - 05/02/2010 : 22:01:52
Hi Figs, I've got lizards too, and it definately helps towards keeping a snake from what I have read/seen/heard etc etc... but I'm still new so still listening to all the helpful folks here - sounds like you'll do great though!! :)
Figs Posted - 05/02/2010 : 20:33:11
thanks guys
all of my lizards have thermostats so i know thats deffo a good idea
and i'll add a good digi themometer to the list too

i'm reading through all the care sheets i can find and i've bought myself a book called 'The Corn Snake Manual' (by Bill Love and Kathy Love) so hopefully i'll be ready! :D
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 20:27:35
Well done Figs. Its nice to see someone taking the time to research the animal before purchasing it. One thing I didnt see in your kit is a thermostat you may want to consider getting one of these also I would bin the dial type thermometer in the kit and spend a few pounds more on a digital one as they are far more accurate. Also I would have a good look at the care sheet this site has as it is very informative. Other members here will guide you on the plastic faun I use vivs so I am not familiar with them. Good luck when you get your snake

steve

Edit Sorry SB for the echo you posted that while I was writing my reply
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 20:26:19
General rule of thumb is length of snake= length +depth of housing (viv, faun etc.) So the faun in the set should do your snake till it is 58cm long.

However, that set doesn't include a thermostat- these bits of kit are ESSENTIAL for making sure your snake doesn't get cooked. Stats cost about £20-45 depending on model.

Paper towels are always a good idea with young corns as you can easily spot parasites, poo etc.

As for adult snakes, a 3x2 viv is fine for most adults. 5 foot is BIG for a corn, my 5 foot 6 male is in a 4 footer and its huge!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000