The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Think I've boobed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kdlang Posted - 02/02/2010 : 20:27:32
I'm still working through setting up Alice's new viv. The new heat mat came today so I thought i would set to fitting it in. Came across 2 potential problems i need comments on please.

How do i get the heatmat wired up in the viv? there is only a small hole for cables, and the heatmat and plug are too big to get through (sorry for stating the obvious). Am I ok to take the plug off the heatmat and then rewire it after feeding the cable through the hole? And what is the best way to make the cable holes a bit bigger cos my therm and stat probes wont fit through. Thinking i should have put everything in before putting the lid on lol.

Also during some kind of blonde moment I bought self adhesive vinyl tiles for putting over the heatmat. Will these still be ok? Is there a danger snakey could get stuck in some way? (stupid question knowing what nosey beggars snakes are). Is there someway to modify them so they can still be used or shall I just go out and get some more plain vinyl tiles tomorrow?

Sorry for waffling, having a bit of a hissy fit lol. ideas will be greatfully received
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:41:11
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB
it appears i was wrong about the sticky tile OP, apolagies

it's just people's opinions and preferences and their own reasons to do something or to not to hun so don't worry, like i said i don't cover my mats with anything at all cos in my eyes if its controlled with a stat it won't damage the snake............there's more than one way to skin a cat
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/02/2010 : 10:37:53
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

....it appears i was wrong about the sticky tile OP, apolagies

You weren't wrong at all, I think the sticky tiles are brilliant, but they can lift if they are over the top of a heat mat so a bit of care is needed, which is why sealing them as you suggested is a sensible thing to do.

My ones that are still well and truely stuck down are in the bottom of a glass viv and the heatmat goes under the viv.
The glue on the tiles still softens, but it doesn't lift up. The only reason I found mine lifted up if because the mats don't go totally flat the little black plastic connector raises them slightly which is enough to run the risk or have problems inside the viv.

HannahB Posted - 04/02/2010 : 06:19:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'd definetly leave out the sticky tile, its just not worth the risks

I use sticky tile inside one of my glass vivs, with NOTHING under it, and it's ok.
But the same sticky tiles in the wooden viv on top of a heat mat took the best part of about 10 mins before the heat caused the stickiness to soften and lift up a bit which enabled one of my snakes to get under it.
It's not the easiest thing to sort out.

could you not seal the edges down to prevent that?
it appears i was wrong about the sticky tile OP, apolagies
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/02/2010 : 02:25:44
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I use sticky tile inside one of my glass vivs, with NOTHING under it, and it's ok.
But the same sticky tiles in the wooden viv on top of a heat mat took the best part of about 10 mins before the heat caused the stickiness to soften and lift up a bit which enabled one of my snakes to get under it.
It's not the easiest thing to sort out.
eeji Posted - 03/02/2010 : 23:58:22
LittleMick Posted - 03/02/2010 : 23:50:18
For my Leopard Gecko setup I just removed the plugs on anything and rewire. The sta prob I just drilled a bigger hole, and to stop feeders (crickets) escaping I taped some paper towel round the stat wire and jammed that in the hole. Lol. I also did the taped paper towel thing on Elijah's (Corn) faun, as he was only a hatchling and could easily escape out the massive hole.
kdlang Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:18:19
Thanks peeps. feel a bit better now. The plug isn't moulded so will take it apart and feed the cable through. Will leave it running for a couple of days before putting Alice in to make sure everything is ok.

Don't worry Fal, I have lots of blonde moments so i'm sure there will be plenty more questions where these came from. The good thing about this site is that no-one is patronising or makes you feel stupid. Just good advise to help you make the right decisions
gingerpony Posted - 02/02/2010 : 22:08:14
yep, cut the plug off, though a lot of things come with moulded plugs these days so you'll have to buy another plug to fit on the cable, they're usually about £1 ish

as for the stat probe it depends what sort of viv you have, wooden ones you can get a tapered circular file to enlarge the hole, or if it's a plastic faun/RUB lid you need to feed it through just go carefully at it with either a circular file or a sharp knife

TBH i'd set it up, jiggle it to get it running at the right temp with the electrical/probe leads coming out the front/top until you get sorted with bigger holes and another plug, then at least you know when you've got those bits sorted all you need to do is switch it on and let it get up to temp and not have all the fiddling about to do
Fal Posted - 02/02/2010 : 20:34:28
Unfortunately, I can't answer either question, sorry!!! However, I'm glad you are posting these questions, because I can imagine it is something I would be asking in future, now I won't have to :) hehe..

Good luck with it!
Jonathan
SexyBear77 Posted - 02/02/2010 : 20:31:12
Take off the plug and rewire it, thats what I do!!

I wouldnt risk the sticky tile in the viv, just in case. I know there is a lot of people on here at the moment that seem to be doing this but it really isn't necessary if your mat is correctly statted. If you are adamant you want one though, a cheap plain one will be fine.
HannahB Posted - 02/02/2010 : 20:30:54
i put my mat and stat in before i put the back in place when building my vivs but i know some people on here do take the plugs apart and then rewire them once they have poked the bits through.. personally i couldnt do that as id no doubt electrocute myself somehow lmao!
and the self adhesive vinyl.. its up to you..you can put them down and then seal the edges down with sealant so that alice cant get a corner up or something or go out and get other ones and then seal them down anyway.. its up to you

hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000