The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 On a scale from 1 to 10

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tidus Posted - 20/01/2010 : 18:28:52
How hard would you say taking care of your corn snake is. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest. And how much time does it take out of your week.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lmfastcars Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:23:15
ill give him a definate 1 :) although my boa on the other hand is about a 9ish becasue i think he may have mites and he is not feeding. Will get all the stuff on the weekend and treat him for mites but untill then, loads of luke warm baths :)and hes not feeding
Sammysnake Posted - 21/01/2010 : 17:59:19
Definitely a 1 for me. I can't believe how easy they are once you've bought all the right equipment. They don't escape continually and dig up the garden like the rabbit and they don't need loads of veggies bought and chopped and outdoor exercise and bringing in for the winter etc like the guinea pig. They watch TV with me and my husband whilst we're in bed and they are active at just the right time of day for us to appreciate them.
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 12:13:19
Casper gets a 2, because of his size he can be tricky to get out the viv!
Mushu gets a 3, because she won't feed out this viv unless everything is perfect and is a bit more stroppy to handle.
Diego gets a 9 atm, because he hasn't fed since I got him and has mites again.
n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 10:25:36
1 or 2 from me also, deffo the easiest pet to look after ever.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 08:47:17
I would say 1.

But they are as easy or as difficult as you want them to be.

I spend alot of time making notes, reading up, planning her feeds etc etc.

I also clean her out 3-4 times per week but thats optional i guess.

Gaz
HannahB Posted - 21/01/2010 : 06:33:35
with my feeding corns its easy..2 at the most - they feed well,handle great and do everything they need to do
with Aura the non feeder its a different story.. shes alive and well..if it wasnt for the fact that we know she hatched in august she could easily pass for a really recent hatchling - shes 4g's atm.. shes always out and about though but it is a worry not knowing if shes still going to be alive the next morning when i come downstairs.. plus im not handling her so thats frustrating! Aura gets a big 9 for the stress she causes me!!

and the royals - well as they arent feeding im giving them a 7..apart from that they are great - dont take up much time and when they are out and about they are cute to watch - especially when trying to burrow through a wooden viv..they get a 5

tidus Posted - 21/01/2010 : 06:27:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Think most of the time it depends on your snake and set up and how many you have and whether you have any problems.....

Obviously before you get your snake and are sorting out the setup, and immediately after getting your snake, the difficuly level is probably 5/6...just because you need to be sure to buying the right things, setting it up right, making sure it is running correctly, etc...

In everyday life then definitely a 1 or 2. All it takes daily is the water change and spot check. Handling is no chore, it is a pleasure. Feeding is easy usually and doesnt take that much time....and it is also a pleasure to watch. The monthly/6 weekly full clean of the viv is probably a 3, just cos you want to be thorough and replace all the substrate, disinfect etc.

The only time the difficulty level rises is if there are problems, like if you have a non-feeder in which case it is a definite 9/10, your snake gets mites 8/9....or other problems. And all these will obviously take up more of your time. But, while the chances of this happening are slim, they do need to be taken into account.

I think a lot also depends on how much you worry or whether you can stay calm and deal with anything that occurs. A worrier's difficulty level will be about 7, whereas someone who just gets on and deals with things more practically it would be a lower level. (Hope this is making sense....sorry if not, just blame it on my brain fog )

xxx

Ya totally. I can deffaintly relate to you. I was thinking the same thing.
Kellog Posted - 21/01/2010 : 04:29:33
Think most of the time it depends on your snake and set up and how many you have and whether you have any problems.....

Obviously before you get your snake and are sorting out the setup, and immediately after getting your snake, the difficuly level is probably 5/6...just because you need to be sure to buying the right things, setting it up right, making sure it is running correctly, etc...

In everyday life then definitely a 1 or 2. All it takes daily is the water change and spot check. Handling is no chore, it is a pleasure. Feeding is easy usually and doesnt take that much time....and it is also a pleasure to watch. The monthly/6 weekly full clean of the viv is probably a 3, just cos you want to be thorough and replace all the substrate, disinfect etc.

The only time the difficulty level rises is if there are problems, like if you have a non-feeder in which case it is a definite 9/10, your snake gets mites 8/9....or other problems. And all these will obviously take up more of your time. But, while the chances of this happening are slim, they do need to be taken into account.

I think a lot also depends on how much you worry or whether you can stay calm and deal with anything that occurs. A worrier's difficulty level will be about 7, whereas someone who just gets on and deals with things more practically it would be a lower level. (Hope this is making sense....sorry if not, just blame it on my brain fog )

xxx

Rik Posted - 21/01/2010 : 02:20:04
Khan is a 1 also. No walking over muddy fields, picky eating or worrying when they dont come home. Only downside is Khan likes to poop on the carpet in my office or in my hand.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 23:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

1 - it's the easiest pet I've ever owned! She doesn't chew up and break her cage (unlike my gerbil) What other pet can you know exactly when they're going to eat, when they're going to poo? I think they're a genius pet and I wish I'd got a snake much earlier! They're awesome!

zan x

What morph is your spaghetti? My sister has the same morph.
hiper2009 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 22:55:14
Im going to say 1 for me
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 22:54:43
10 for sure!
Paul Hume Posted - 20/01/2010 : 22:52:38
Definate 1 for me too, They are the easiest pets I have ever had and could easily add a few more to my collection before it would go up to a 2 or 3
lee2308 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 22:33:21
i would say 1 for me
elament Posted - 20/01/2010 : 22:03:47
defo a 1 easiest pet i have had
zandefloss Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:48:45
1 - it's the easiest pet I've ever owned! She doesn't chew up and break her cage (unlike my gerbil) What other pet can you know exactly when they're going to eat, when they're going to poo? I think they're a genius pet and I wish I'd got a snake much earlier! They're awesome!

zan x
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:19:45
I would say a 1, its pretty easy really, get up every morning change the water, do a quick spot check and then around 5 oclock i get her out for 10 minutes, then again for another 5 - 10 mins before i go bed, which is usually between 1 and 2 oclock.

Where as with our japanese Akita, she needs feeding 3 times a day, water topping up around 6 times a day, after shes had her needles she will need 3, x 15 minute walks and when she reaches around 6 months old will need around 3 x 45 minute walks. Plus when there pups you have to clean up any mess and then theres the extensive training.
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:18:13
2-3 for me. The most work I put in is changing the water and clearing out her mess. The rest of the time is spent in holding her and letting her crawl around.
quote:
Originally posted by tidus

How hard would you say taking care of your corn snake is. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest. And how much time does it take out of your week.

hillzi Posted - 20/01/2010 : 20:14:21
Waters once a day.. monthly cleanout... daily handle for 10 mins, besides 48 hours after feeding and supervise them feeding for half an hour or so. and the daily spot check. Easeh! defo 1 from me, but that doesn't mean cutting corners.
matty18714 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 19:55:39
They are very easy to care for, and when you have everything set up, it can take up as much or as little of your time as you want it to.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000