The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Tails?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lilpunk Posted - 20/01/2010 : 13:58:45
Boy or girl? Not important as /such/ but I would like to know what you think, as I may consider breeding from him/her when they're older.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lilpunk Posted - 22/01/2010 : 19:14:38
Yep, she was, but it wasn't big thank god lol I bathed her as I said I was going to, luckily she's due a shed soon, so hopefully it'll loosen her skin.
eeji Posted - 22/01/2010 : 18:32:55
she may just be due a big dump ;)
Lilpunk Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:47:15
I will try that, and if it turns out to be fatty deposits, then Dimi is going to be coming out for some army training
gingerpony Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:43:03
there does seem to be quite a bulge in front of where i imagine the vent to be (as you can't actually see it from a side photo) which could either be fatty deposits or s/he just needs to 'go'......

a bath at around the same temp as the warm end of the viv (25-30*C) CHECKED WITH A THERMOMETER will often make them go....
make sure if you're using a sink or a bath that you block off the taps and the overflow to prevent escapes
Lilpunk Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:36:35
Fat? I don't think so, as her scales aren't stretched in any way, but it may be constipation... How can I ease that, with a luke warm bath?
gingerpony Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:31:38
i'd guesstimate it was fat or constipated from your photo!
eeji Posted - 21/01/2010 : 12:36:01
i'd guesstimate that its female from your photo :)
Lilpunk Posted - 21/01/2010 : 08:46:06
Thankyou kellog ^^ I always look forward to your thorough replies
Kellog Posted - 21/01/2010 : 05:28:02
Supposedly the female's tail will taper very quickly from the vent and is much shorter than the tail of a male of similar age. The male's tail will be considerable longer and taper more gradually. The explanation for this is that male's have more reproductive equipment to store internally and therefore need the extra space in the tail. But obviously this is only of any help if you have a male and female of same age to compare !!

Another method is to count the scales that occur in pairs after the vent. Male corns have between 70 and 80 pairs of scales, while females have between 59 and 70 (so quite what it is if you count 70 pairs of scales I dont know ! Also, have you ever had your corn lie still enough for long enough for you to count its scales?? - which is why Matty is suggesting a photo, I would guess.)

As for worrying if she is getting overweight....you can tell when a snake is over weight if you can see skin spacing between the scales when your corn is relaxed (not when it is coiled up).

Think BlackEcho had a good diagram about overweight, normal and underweight snakes but cant find it. Something along the lines of....if you cut the corn in half ( ) then the cross section would look like a triangle if the snake is underweight, an arch if it is just right and a circle if it is overweight. Am not sure about this....so please wait for confirmation from those who are more experienced.

Lil, you know and handle Dimi all the time, I would think you would be able to tell if she was overweight....trust your instincts.

xxx
Lilpunk Posted - 20/01/2010 : 16:43:34
Thanks matty I'll try to get another uploaded soon. Am I right to be feeding 1 medium pink every five days? I always worry that she'll get fat and I won't notice
matty18714 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 16:21:15
The photo is from the wrong angle. You need to be looking at the underside of the tail, not the side.

And I would pop it at that size.
elament Posted - 20/01/2010 : 16:04:19
yeah my moneys on girl Colins tail is a fair bit longer than that but dont take my word for it i no expert
Lilpunk Posted - 20/01/2010 : 14:53:34
Thanks GC c; I'll certainly try that. That's what I originally thought too, that she was a girl and she has been popped as one, but /not/ 99% sure so I am sticking to female for now.
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 14:48:46
If we're going to bet on it...I'd say it's a female. It's rather short between the vent and the tip. Take it to your pet store and let them pop it. It seems young enough. I did that with Snickers because I thought she was a girl and my friend also thought she was a girl. When they popped her, she was indeed a girl. I'm going against the odds that say you can't tell by looking.As soon as you find out for sure let us know. I'm curious.
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

Boy or girl? Not important as /such/ but I would like to know what you think, as I may consider breeding from him/her when they're older.

Lilpunk Posted - 20/01/2010 : 14:08:37
Hmmm I know, but still, like to know other's thoughts on the matter. I'd say she's a bit small to be probed?
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 14:02:47
Very inaccurate way of telling.

Females are supposed to have a shorter tail that tapers sooner than a male, but the only 99% sure way of telling is probing.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000