The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Do corns like it when they are picked up/stroked?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fernando Pierre Posted - 18/01/2010 : 07:22:07
Do corns enjoy it when they are picked up/stroked?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fernando Pierre Posted - 05/02/2010 : 05:15:19
but i have read somewhere that corns are the snakes that like to be handeld
Fernando Pierre Posted - 28/01/2010 : 14:45:55
i think he likes the warm and dark!
Fernando Pierre Posted - 28/01/2010 : 14:45:20
i am sure he likes it he does not react and normally goes up my sleeve and sleeps!
Kellog Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:52:00
Also, why....when I have Kellog out and am handling him I try to put him back into viv he tries to avoid going back in? He makes a big show of it by sliding in and sliding straight back out or not even allowing me to aim his head in...veering it from side to side ! He is quite happy in viv, but also 'seems' quite happy outside of viv.

xxx
eeji Posted - 27/01/2010 : 19:43:28
short answer: no they don't
elament Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:55:32
All I can say is this...Colin usually tells me he wants to come out by loitering around the front glass doors of his viv (makes a right show of it two climbing up the glass) If he does this i open the door and he usually comes out onto my arm. Some may say he is seeing a route of escape and takes it and its possible. However, when he wants to go back in he heads for his viv and does so (I have the luxury of this because my viv is right next to the arm of the sofa) Thing is if he was only coming out to escape why go back?
Like some of your snakes he also sits still when you are stroking him. Why I dunno.
Also he is also addicted to television and watches it on my lap and through the glass of his viv
HannahB Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:48:49
im not convinced my edison 'likes' being handled.. hes clingy (and i mean really clingy) hes getting quite big now and will wrap himself around my fingers and slowly venture but he wont let go of me..the last third of his body will be wrapped around something.. hes the same with feeding - his tail always wraps around something as if hes making sure he doesnt slither too far away.. i think he tolerates being handled and cause of his clingyness i dont get him out as often as i get mont out or libs just because i dont want to stress him - he can get really panicky
Fernando Pierre Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:22:52
haha mine to!!
Fernando Pierre Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:05:47
mine to!
Kellog Posted - 19/01/2010 : 06:09:47
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I honestly dont think there is any snake that appreciates it.

How do you know the snake isn't stopping in the hope that, if it stays still for long enough, you will go away?

I am not saying that Kellog enjoys it or wants it, but he certainly doesnt react in the sense of stopping in the hope I will go away.

I do it while he is slithering around and it doesnt change his behaviour/speed in any way....and I also do it when he is resting on me. I have never stroked him and he has 'frozen' in response to it.

I would say he probably tolerates it and for me it began more as I reminder to him that I was there and could grab him if I needed to !! But it has just continued ever since.

xxx
Fernando Pierre Posted - 19/01/2010 : 04:25:00
oh ok cool thanks for the info!
gingerpony Posted - 18/01/2010 : 22:33:52
i think some species and some individuals tolerate handling more than others, although i do believe they get used to being handled predominantly by one person and are most 'at ease' with that person but if you're generally competant and confident handling snakes they're also likely to be more chilled out
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 17:41:32
Snickers is too. She was lay there totally still staring at the computer screen or TV screen whichever is going.
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

same with my corn it loves to be handled and is very calm and when i stroke him he just stops and lies on my lap when i stop stroking him he just slithers away!!!! btw my corn is addictid to TV!!!!

SexyBear77 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 16:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

How do you know the snake isn't stopping in the hope that, if it stays still for long enough, you will go away?

Ditto this.
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 16:10:01
i think i agree with matty on this one, i think they stop in the hopes of being left alone, but it would be nice to think they enjoy it
matty18714 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 15:47:39

danbaylis35 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 15:01:50
they love it under the chin just like a dog lol
Fernando Pierre Posted - 18/01/2010 : 08:56:57
thanks for the info
Fernando Pierre Posted - 18/01/2010 : 08:54:18
same with my corn it loves to be handled and is very calm and when i stroke him he just stops and lies on my lap when i stop stroking him he just slithers away!!!! btw my corn is addictid to TV!!!!
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 08:25:33
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

Do corns enjoy it when they are picked up/stroked?

I think it depends on the corn itself, how old it is and how much it is handled. If they are handled regularly they do get used to being picked up - if handled correctly....calmly, gently, with no sudden movements.

As for stroking I asked this question about Kellog, as I regularly stroke him just to remind him I am there and able to grab him if he decides to make a run for it. He doesnt try to get away from me when I do it, so I am assuming that it doesnt bother him. I have just begun stroking my new one, who wasnt handled by his previous owner and therefore has needed taming down. Just do it very gently when he is calm enough to settle on my lap for a few minutes, which isnt often...and again, he doesnt try and escape from it so it must not bother him.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000