Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Do corns like it when they are picked up/stroked?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do corns enjoy it when they are picked up/stroked?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  08:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snickers seems to love being stroked. When she is on the table beside my computer she may be moving around sniffing, but if I start to stroke her she will stop moving and just stay in one place until i stop.
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  08:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it depends on the corn itself, how old it is and how much it is handled. If they are handled regularly they do get used to being picked up - if handled correctly....calmly, gently, with no sudden movements.

As for stroking I asked this question about Kellog, as I regularly stroke him just to remind him I am there and able to grab him if he decides to make a run for it. He doesnt try to get away from me when I do it, so I am assuming that it doesnt bother him. I have just begun stroking my new one, who wasnt handled by his previous owner and therefore has needed taming down. Just do it very gently when he is calm enough to settle on my lap for a few minutes, which isnt often...and again, he doesnt try and escape from it so it must not bother him.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  08:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same with my corn it loves to be handled and is very calm and when i stroke him he just stops and lies on my lap when i stop stroking him he just slithers away!!!! btw my corn is addictid to TV!!!!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  08:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  15:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they love it under the chin just like a dog lol

mr.chunky (amel),ssssssteve (western hognose),Cruela (dwarf boa)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  15:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly dont think there is any snake that appreciates it.

How do you know the snake isn't stopping in the hope that, if it stays still for long enough, you will go away?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i agree with matty on this one, i think they stop in the hopes of being left alone, but it would be nice to think they enjoy it

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 18/01/2010 16:10:39
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

How do you know the snake isn't stopping in the hope that, if it stays still for long enough, you will go away?

Ditto this.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  17:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snickers is too. She was lay there totally still staring at the computer screen or TV screen whichever is going.
quote:

same with my corn it loves to be handled and is very calm and when i stroke him he just stops and lies on my lap when i stop stroking him he just slithers away!!!! btw my corn is addictid to TV!!!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think some species and some individuals tolerate handling more than others, although i do believe they get used to being handled predominantly by one person and are most 'at ease' with that person but if you're generally competant and confident handling snakes they're also likely to be more chilled out

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  04:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok cool thanks for the info!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  06:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I am not saying that Kellog enjoys it or wants it, but he certainly doesnt react in the sense of stopping in the hope I will go away.

I do it while he is slithering around and it doesnt change his behaviour/speed in any way....and I also do it when he is resting on me. I have never stroked him and he has 'frozen' in response to it.

I would say he probably tolerates it and for me it began more as I reminder to him that I was there and could grab him if I needed to !! But it has just continued ever since.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine to!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  16:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha mine to!!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  16:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not convinced my edison 'likes' being handled.. hes clingy (and i mean really clingy) hes getting quite big now and will wrap himself around my fingers and slowly venture but he wont let go of me..the last third of his body will be wrapped around something.. hes the same with feeding - his tail always wraps around something as if hes making sure he doesnt slither too far away.. i think he tolerates being handled and cause of his clingyness i dont get him out as often as i get mont out or libs just because i dont want to stress him - he can get really panicky

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is this...Colin usually tells me he wants to come out by loitering around the front glass doors of his viv (makes a right show of it two climbing up the glass) If he does this i open the door and he usually comes out onto my arm. Some may say he is seeing a route of escape and takes it and its possible. However, when he wants to go back in he heads for his viv and does so (I have the luxury of this because my viv is right next to the arm of the sofa) Thing is if he was only coming out to escape why go back?
Like some of your snakes he also sits still when you are stroking him. Why I dunno.
Also he is also addicted to television and watches it on my lap and through the glass of his viv

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  19:43:28  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
short answer: no they don't

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  23:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, why....when I have Kellog out and am handling him I try to put him back into viv he tries to avoid going back in? He makes a big show of it by sliding in and sliding straight back out or not even allowing me to aim his head in...veering it from side to side ! He is quite happy in viv, but also 'seems' quite happy outside of viv.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  14:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am sure he likes it he does not react and normally goes up my sleeve and sleeps!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  14:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think he likes the warm and dark!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000