The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding my corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 10/01/2010 : 17:31:22
Need some help please. My 3yr corn hast ate for 3 feeds now can anyone give me som help please. I know he mat be horny but do you know when this will stop? He is eating a medium rat every 7 days and will take his food without any trouble. So could you give me some advice what to do.
XX
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/02/2010 : 22:46:24
i will try that now and i will get the wights off my mum when i am at hers, yes the temp. He will be getting fed next friday and i will try a warm mouse. I'll let yous kow how i get on, thanks again :)
elament Posted - 01/02/2010 : 08:39:26
Thanks Kellog I know the first time I fed xena I tried first time with the pinky at room temp and like Tango she showed interest but turned her nose up. Then, going on advice I had read on here, I had a brainwave and just warmed it up a little (placed the pinky in a plastic sandwich bag and then in some hot water for a coupla mins) and the result was she virtually ripped it out of my fingers so it worked for me.
Kellog Posted - 01/02/2010 : 04:33:24
I am glad Tango didnt have trouble with his shed Ryan, but am sorry he still hasnt fed. It is a good sign that he showed interest in the food this time. Elament's advice is good, heating the mouse a bit will increase its smell and hopefully will get his feeding instincts to kick in. Could really do with knowing the exact weights so we can see if it is an unhealthy loss.

Are the temps in his viv ok now?

Have you tried the suggestions on this link - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

You need to just keep feeding him on his regular day as normal....and hopefully one day soon he will eat.

xxx
elament Posted - 01/02/2010 : 00:03:31
May sound daft but have you tried warming the prey item up a little before you offer it to him. I got a reluctant feeder that wont take a meal unless its offered warm. And defo try a mouse this time.
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 22:21:51
Tango has finaly shed and he never had any trouble with his shedding. Now that i have tryed feeding him again he hast ate the food. He actually payed attention to his prey this time buy following it arroud as i pulled it around but didnt go for it. It has ben 6 weeks now that he hasnt ate. Does anyone have any idea when he will start eating again, hes lost a small amont of weight, dont know any figures sorry, my mum is the one who deals whit the weight and feeding.
Kellog Posted - 25/01/2010 : 03:49:51
I am sorry that Tango has still not fed. As I said in my previous comment, Kellog went for 13 weeks without feeding because he was horny.

What is vital though is that you weigh him. Kellog only lost a small bit of weight and therefore it proved to me that it was a 'natural' fast as opposed to him going off his food for health or other reasons, in which case he would lose weight a lot faster. If you are weighing him, what was his weight when he was feeding regularly and his weight now?

You say he is going into shed mode....am not sure if you usually feed him when he is 'blue' but maybe avoid it this time and try offering him a feed after he has shed.

Has he had trouble shedding before?

xxx
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 21:14:52
okay, thanks again :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/01/2010 : 20:49:45
To help him shed?

You could put a moist hide in if you want, get some sphagnum moss, freeze it to kill of any germies, defrost with boiling water, leave to cool and then squeeze out the excess water before adding the moss to a hide.

Or you could move the water bowl to the hot end of the viv for a day or so to raise the humidity.

With regards to the feeding, I really wouldnt panic, it is the time of year for males to be off their food, I'm sure he will eat in his own time.
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 20:38:50
My corn has still not ate :( i think he is about to shed anytime now because he has went very dull and his eyes are going blue/grey, anything i should do ?
Kellog Posted - 13/01/2010 : 02:16:19
quote:
Originally posted by ryanbryant1

I am so glad i found out about this. And for all your information fluffy(baby garter) ate his pinkie straight away with no problems what so ever. I need to get photos of the weee cutie on. Thanks for all your help again. I am sure i will ask for more in the near future.
Xx

That is fantastic news about Fluffy eating, you must be so pleased. Cant wait to see pics of him, put them up in the Exotic Photo section as he is not a corn .

No need for the thanks...that is what we are here for !!

xxx
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 22:28:11
I am so glad i found out about this. And for all your information fluffy(baby garter) ate his pinkie straight away with no problems what so ever. I need to get photos of the weee cutie on. Thanks for all your help again. I am sure i will ask for more in the near future.
Xx
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/01/2010 : 18:18:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

ok. Thanks for all your help again.

This is a really good web page. I dont know what i would be doing without it. Thak you to evry one who has helped me and commented on my beautiful Tango.
Xx

SexyBear has said it all, yet again!! (You keep getting there before me SB ). This is exactly what this forum is for, escpecially considering the lack of advice/bad advice given by pet shops . So please keep asking and we will keep helping .

And how couldnt we comment on how beautiful Tango is!!!

xxx

n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 18:15:50
quote:

This is a really good web page. I dont know what i would be doing without it. Thak you to evry one who has helped me and commented on my beautiful Tango.
Xx

The Guys and Girls here are simply Magic! And their advice is sound! And sometimes- on those days when your in a "bit of a flat" they are also soothing (with a touch of Comic Relief!)
xXx
Kellog Posted - 12/01/2010 : 05:37:47
quote:

Xx

SexyBear has said it all, yet again!! (You keep getting there before me SB ). This is exactly what this forum is for, escpecially considering the lack of advice/bad advice given by pet shops . So please keep asking and we will keep helping .

And how couldnt we comment on how beautiful Tango is!!!

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:27:22
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say you're welcome, we are here to help and enjoy the hobby!
n/a Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:20:34

Xx
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:18:29
Depends on what you've got. If its unstatted and only runs at 20c then possibly yes. A 7-12 watt mat is usually sufficient, but as I said before, they MUST be statted or they can cook a snake easily.

n/a Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:14:34
will i need a much stronger heat pad ?
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:07:37
quote:

As i have only had tango for a few months it was his usuall set up and there wasnt any problem with him. No there is two hids in his viv and i have also took the advice buy putting a cover over the back and the both sides and just exposing the frount of the viv.

There isn't anything "controlling" the heat just a heat mat and is around 20 in the warm side of the viv but i only have the one thermostat.

I will let yous know how they got on in their next feeds, hopefully fluufy (baby garter) eats. Am sure tango will come round to eating in his own time :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Xx

Thats far, far too cold, Temp ideally needs to be 27-29c!! Not having enough heat to digest food can lead to serious digestive problems, eg: prey rotting inside the snake.

A thermostat is an essential piece of kit for your mat, unregulated they can reach temps which can easily kill a snake.
n/a Posted - 11/01/2010 : 23:04:38
As i have only had tango for a few months it was his usuall set up and there wasnt any problem with him. No there is two hids in his viv and i have also took the advice buy putting a cover over the back and the both sides and just exposing the frount of the viv.

There isn't anything "controlling" the heat just a heat mat and is around 20 in the warm side of the viv but i only have the one thermostat.

I will let yous know how they got on in their next feeds, hopefully fluufy (baby garter) eats. Am sure tango will come round to eating in his own time :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000