The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Stella Only Had 1 Pinkie...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/12/2009 : 08:28:28
Last night was feed night for Stella, it was her 3rd feed with me. She has had 1 pinkie 2 weeks ago, then i moved her to double pinkies last week (friday) and last night i offered her the same again.

I offered them the same way, same method of defrosting, in the same tub, at the same time.

She had shed yesterday morning and seemed really hungry, she had been out and about all day.

She ate the first one almost straight away, but wouldnt touch the second one. I left her in the RUB for 40 mins with the 2nd pinkie. Then put her and the pinkie in the faun, but after 1 hour she still hadnt touched it, so i took it out.

Is this anything to worry about? Should i leave it 7 days now until i feed her? Ive been feeding every 6 days, was planning on feeding every 5 days as of this week.

Thanks

Gaz
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 16:56:14
Thanks alot.

Going to order it off 888 Reptiles, along with some feeding forceps :-)

Cant wait

Thanks alot

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 10/12/2009 : 16:43:10
That should be fine for her until around 2 1/2 feet (if not slightly more). We didn't get the smaller fauns, they just went straight into the large fauns from their little sandwich boxes with no problems. We considered getting smaller vivs in between the faun and large viv, but not too sure if it's worth the expense for the length of time that they'll actually require them for.

As long as the large viv is well packed out or partitioned, she should be absolutely fine.

We're sure she'll enjoy her nice new faun!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 16:00:16
Awesome, thats what im going to get her at the weekend then.

You think this will last her untill shes about 2.5 feet long? Then move into a well sheltered 3' Viv?

Thanks

Gaz

kizzig Posted - 10/12/2009 : 15:54:06
They've got one each, and are sharing a mat/stat. It's the largest flat faun that's approx 18" x 11" x 6". The largest faun has two door compartments, while all others only have one.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 15:27:34
Cool, thanks.

What size faun are yours in now? I take it they have got one each? Is it the 18" x 11" exo terra?

Thanks

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 10/12/2009 : 14:56:32
Possibly a heavy piece of card will be used to partition. I think we'll try packing the viv with hides first, and if that doesn't work then we'll try partitioning.

The main reason for this is that the snakes may go off their food due to the extra space. They like to be in quite cramped conditions really, so a jump in the amount of space can freak them out a little! Lol

However, our two aren't too bad as they didn't go off their food when upgraded into the large fauns, so hopefully partitioning won't be required. We'll see how they react to the larger space and make a decision nearer the time.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 13:14:08
Thats good news.

I will get one of those large Fauns then.

Why will you be partitioning the 3 foot viv off? Is this so they dont get too scared?

Thanks alot

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 10/12/2009 : 13:08:01
Hi Gaz,

We use the largest of the Fauns for our two. They should do until the snakes are around 2 1/2 feet long. We're then going to upgrade to 3 ft vivs and possibly either partition part of it off, or pack out with lots of hides.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 12:24:40
What do people think about the new faun/viv?

Thanks

Gaz
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/12/2009 : 08:44:02
Cheers Kellog,

I was pleased like you say, that i think i am starting to read her a little bit and know what she wants.

Im really happy with how she is progressing, she is obviously under-size for her age from the maintenance diet, but since ive got her she is growing in front of my eyes.

She was lost in the faun when i got her, and now she stretches out all around it and takes up the front and the side of the faun!

I was thinking about upgrading her soon.

Do you think i should get something like this (link below) to last her a bit longer before getting her a 3' Vivarium?

This is a bigger faunarium, its 18" x 11" and 6" Tall.

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1893&ProductGroupID=947

Or should i just get her a 2' or 3' Vivarium now?

She is about 16" long and growing fast, Her faunarium is roughly 10" x 6" or there abouts.

Thanks

Gaz
Kellog Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:42:51
That is really good news Gaz, so glad Stella ate properly. You obviously did what you thought was right and obviously the advice on the forum is just that, advice. You went by what you saw your snake doing and that is great, if you feel you are beginning to be able to read her behaviour like that. Do take your time moving onto fuzzies until you are happy that she has got over her experience and is feeding regularly on the pinkies.

So pleased for both of you!

xxx
Gaz_1989 Posted - 08/12/2009 : 18:42:59
Update...

I know that i was advised to wait 7 days before feeding her again after her only taking one of the two pinkies last week, but, last night she was really looking around the viv like she was after food. She was all over the place licking her tongue out, and she was the same today.

So, tonight (5 days on) i decided to try her with 2 pinkies, warmed them up as i was told...

She took them both almost immediately! I was really pleased.

And for about 40 mins after i put her back in she was still looking around for food! Whereas she normally just goes straight into warm hide. So i dont think it will be long before shes on to fuzzys :-D

I dont want people to think i ignored there advice, by not waiting the 7 days, i really appreciate any advice i get on here, i just wanted to go with my instinct and HOPEFULLY i am learning as i go along with things like this.

Thanks alot to all,

Gaz
gingerpony Posted - 04/12/2009 : 19:55:09
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

My original plan was to leave her 7 days now, so hopefully she will be quite hungry and devour the 2 pinkies.

But then Hawkeye suggested feeding her in 5 days and maintain that.

I think the feeding sheet ive got at home says 6 days for 2 x pinkies and fuzzys.

Its all conflicting but im sure its all good sound advice in one way or another.

when you're first introducing more food ideally increase the days between feeds but then as they get used to that amount of food then move back down to 5-6 day intervals. so you're just stretching it out at first. there's no right or wrong way, 5 days is a minimum interval really, some people feed weekly regardless with no detriment to the snake it would just grow more slowly and make less poop
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/12/2009 : 15:17:07
Stella is the same age as yours, around 14" and 20g, so a bit behind.

Im sure she will be fine, she seems pretty healthy.

Thanks

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 04/12/2009 : 14:28:13
She's around 5 months and 19-20" long and she weighed 26g last week. Ziggy is the same age and roughly the same length at the moment. He now weighs 36g and is on fuzzies.

I'm sure Stella will be back on double pinks soon!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/12/2009 : 14:26:43
Thanks Hawkeye, much appreciated.

GP and Kellog have basically said the same thing so i will go with that.

Thanks alot

Gaz
n/a Posted - 04/12/2009 : 14:22:17

Gaz, just a quick word so that you have the scale of things here:

If I were ever in real trouble with a snake, I would turn straight to GP for assistance. Her advice and actual help (she sent me something in the post) has probably saved the life of one of my snakes. Try going first with what she suggests.

Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/12/2009 : 13:53:22
Okay thanks Kizig.

Out of interest, how old is Kizzy? And how long is she?

I was hoping that Stella would take double pinkies for about 8 weeks and then get her onto fuzzies but we will see how she goes.

Thanks

Gaz
kizzig Posted - 04/12/2009 : 13:43:07
We've had a similar issue with Kizzy. She was on double pinks for about 6 feeds, but the last two feeds she's only wanted one. However, we're not worried as she's due going in blue, but we imagine she'll be back on doubles for two feeds post shed and then onto small fuzzies. (While Kizzy is blue she will refuse food, however Ziggy NEVER refuses food! He ended up with three the other feed as Kizzy only wanted one. He's now taken his first small fuzzie and he's in blue! Good fat boy!)

As the others have said, try not to worry too much (I know it's hard!) and try them warmer next time. I'm sure that HawkEye will agree after dealing with the Shen saga that as long as she's eating something then there's nothing to worry about.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/12/2009 : 13:39:45
Okay thanks Kellog. I will be the first to admit ive got LOADS to learn. But theres no other way of learning than just doing it. I spent weeks reading books and the internet before i got her, but theres no amount of reading that can compare to owning one and learning as you go along.

Will let you know how i get on next week, Hopefully with some cool pics!

Thanks

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000