The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Reunited siblings?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:28:45
Hi,

You may seen posts that I have corn (anerythristic) female. I really want a new viv but can't afford it ATM.

Once upon a time, (10 or so years ago) me and brother got two corns both supposedly female. At the time internet was rubbish so no online help. We trusted shop owner advice and put them in viv together (now understand when young they can be canabalistic). Anyway they were fine until......

They were 3 or 4 years old I woke up one morning and my female laid 13 eggs! Didn't put in laying box as wasn't trying to breed so they didn't hatch. We split them up as didn't want them breeding.

Current day! I need a new viv and the male is ok in the one he is in. Thinking of getting a 4x2x2 ft viv and reuniting them as this would be cheaper cuz me and brother will go halves and could get one now.

My main concerns are:

1. Are they likely to breed at the age of 10 or 11?

2. Getting along again. I would feed them seperately of course & since they didn't eat each other when they were young and more prone to doing so, would this occur now? I know there is a massive debate about co-housing but being that they have done for 1/3 their life?......

I would appreciate a quick reply as I'm between my house (parents) and my & GF flat. At house ATM and if i go ahead I can set all up beofre I go back to flat.

Thanks
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 23:39:00
Oh sorry, think he's a caro (he's got orange and black belly on the bottom half then halfway up his length to his head is goes white and black!) so possibly caro mixed with something else?
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 23:35:38
Yer but large mice only weigh 30-40 grams so that'll only be 60-80gm for two mice per feed? that not enough i.e. 10-15% weight rule?
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 22:03:28
Is the photo showing for you readers? Didn't show for me at first.
HannahB Posted - 27/10/2009 : 22:02:01
id change down to 2 large mice - rats arent particularly nutritious for corns as they are mostly fat,
he doesnt look overweight or anything in that pic - no skin showing between the scales so he looks fine to me
is he a caro/normal/wildtype?
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 17:20:21
Here he is! He moved a bit from the widest part but this is still an idea of how wide. Despite being brainy, the mobile is for scale only & not for him to use!

n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 16:56:53
Both snakes or just the male. Yeah he's rather round. You wanna see photo?
matty18714 Posted - 27/10/2009 : 16:37:42
I would change then from rats to 2 large mice every 10 days. A corn at 1.2kg sounds like quite a round animal, though it can be hard to tell without a photo.
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 16:34:46
Yer thanks everyone. I realised soon after postig it that it wouldn't be fair to them!

I just weighed brother's snake for the first time in a while and he is now 1,234 grams (1.2KG)! He is about 5 foot 10 (same length as my female, though she weighs 900grms). They are both on wiener rats (50-60 gram). Shall I continue with them x 2 each feed for the male or go up to small rats, which weigh around 100-130gram?
HannahB Posted - 27/10/2009 : 15:41:48
good decision
PunkAsF82 Posted - 27/10/2009 : 11:55:05
good choice mate
KITTYCAT Posted - 27/10/2009 : 11:42:32
I had the same problem we thought they were both female then she layed eggs one day 1 out of 5 survived the rest had dried out diesel hatched in september
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/10/2009 : 10:13:09
Definitely made a good decision there, wouldnt want them stressed or injured!
Kellog Posted - 27/10/2009 : 03:52:59
Think you have made the right decision bengy...for the snakes welfare which is most important. I am glad, it just isnt worth risking stressing them, having them mate or even attack each other. xxx
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:39:53
Scrap that. I'm not going to bother. It was a fleeting thought. Thanks for quick response. I feel it would just have been easier (for me not them, which is the wrong way round) as they would have been in one place & I didn't have to look after him from brothers room.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:36:47
Yeah. I won't rush it. Think i'll hold them together a few times, perhaps let her stay in his with me monitoring closely and if it looks ok I may eventually go ahead. Thought I was being bit optamistic.
matty18714 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:20:01
They would not hesitate to breed at that age. They could also fight. There are also a whole lot of other reasons not to co-habit so I wouldnt.
lee2308 Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:10:33
wouldnt risk it ben,been awhile apart and things could turn nasty of even still breed,if you do go ahead with it make sure your prepared for any trouble.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:33:12
Oh yeah. The main reson behind it (not money, as above suggests) is because I don't have much room in my house (or flat) and my brother's snake is basically MY snake that lives in his room (I do everything for it) and it would be impossible, until I get my own house, of having both vivs in my room & before you ask I have a Royal Python in my flat so it would be the same situation there.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000