The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shy Snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 17:51:33
Ok, so 12 days ago I got my first ever Corn snake, a lovely female about 8 weeks old. Had a healthy feeding record etc, looked in good shape so no worries there.

After an understandable nervous hour or so, she came out and was exploring the vivarium , up and down the glass, over the hides, around the edges etc... and she carried on this behaviour for a few days. She used to first come out roughly 4pm and stay out til 10pm, exploring all of the time.

After 4 days I put my hand in the viv and fairly near her (within 6 inches) for her to get used to me, my smell and presence etc, she didn't like this and darted under a hide, but reappeared an hour later like normal.

The day after I gave her her first feed (7 days since the last feed, 5 since I got her), everything went ok. Then she dissappeared for a day or two (presumably to digest in peace) after which she poked her head out for 10 minutes.

Since then I haven't seen her, so thats 3 days without seeing her at all. Is this usual for a snake? Was the initial high actvity only because it was new space, now she's settled she's really quiet? Could she be getting ready to shed? I don't want to check under hides etc just yet and disturb her if this is normal behaviour and I'm just worrying to much.

Thanks for any help!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/10/2009 : 09:25:48
quote:
Originally posted by MrMerlin

.....I'll bear in mind putting some clothing in with her, I'll keep away from my socks though

Haha, definitely!!!

And welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 22:32:43
Thanks for the advice everyone, really helpful.

I had a look around the viv for her and she was curled up in a corner, wasn't looking dull yet so maybe she's just keeping out of the way. AS long as I know it's normal it's not a problem.

I'll bear in mind putting some clothing in with her, I'll keep away from my socks though
Kellog Posted - 13/10/2009 : 20:39:01
It is early days yet and she is just settling in. It does take them awhile to feel really secure. At least she was happy enough to feed, which is a good sign. It could be that she is coming out when you aren't around or at night. Mine went through a phase of staying in his hide for weeks, but has just started coming out again - now he is either in his hide or hiding under the substrate so that you cant see him....which is quite an achievement for a 4 and a half foot snake! Main thing is not to panic...just be patient. xxx
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 20:21:12
your lucky winston only ever comes out at night he is proper nocturnal wich is a bit annoying, might see him around when hes due a feed.
n/a Posted - 13/10/2009 : 19:18:41

Snake's way of keeping their humans on their toes:

Behave a certain way. Then, when your human relaxes, change your behaviour radically. Sit back and enjoy watching your human fret about it.

HannahB Posted - 13/10/2009 : 18:11:47
because shes still new shes probably still settling in..my little guy Edison hides away for 3/4 days after every feed which is normal for him..
have a look on her records which you should have been given when you got her and see when she last shed.. if it was around 5-6weeks ago then she might well be due a shed soon
to get her used to you,put a small piece of clothing with your scent on in her faun/viv and she should get used to you more
devilsmistress Posted - 13/10/2009 : 17:57:20
She could well be going into shed, It's normal so dont worry! One of mide hid away for about 2 weesk once before getting board and coming out again!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000