Shy Snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  17:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so 12 days ago I got my first ever Corn snake, a lovely female about 8 weeks old. Had a healthy feeding record etc, looked in good shape so no worries there.

After an understandable nervous hour or so, she came out and was exploring the vivarium , up and down the glass, over the hides, around the edges etc... and she carried on this behaviour for a few days. She used to first come out roughly 4pm and stay out til 10pm, exploring all of the time.

After 4 days I put my hand in the viv and fairly near her (within 6 inches) for her to get used to me, my smell and presence etc, she didn't like this and darted under a hide, but reappeared an hour later like normal.

The day after I gave her her first feed (7 days since the last feed, 5 since I got her), everything went ok. Then she dissappeared for a day or two (presumably to digest in peace) after which she poked her head out for 10 minutes.

Since then I haven't seen her, so thats 3 days without seeing her at all. Is this usual for a snake? Was the initial high actvity only because it was new space, now she's settled she's really quiet? Could she be getting ready to shed? I don't want to check under hides etc just yet and disturb her if this is normal behaviour and I'm just worrying to much.

Thanks for any help!

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  17:57:20  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She could well be going into shed, It's normal so dont worry! One of mide hid away for about 2 weesk once before getting board and coming out again!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  18:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because shes still new shes probably still settling in..my little guy Edison hides away for 3/4 days after every feed which is normal for him..
have a look on her records which you should have been given when you got her and see when she last shed.. if it was around 5-6weeks ago then she might well be due a shed soon
to get her used to you,put a small piece of clothing with your scent on in her faun/viv and she should get used to you more

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Snake's way of keeping their humans on their toes:

Behave a certain way. Then, when your human relaxes, change your behaviour radically. Sit back and enjoy watching your human fret about it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  20:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your lucky winston only ever comes out at night he is proper nocturnal wich is a bit annoying, might see him around when hes due a feed.

winston
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  20:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is early days yet and she is just settling in. It does take them awhile to feel really secure. At least she was happy enough to feed, which is a good sign. It could be that she is coming out when you aren't around or at night. Mine went through a phase of staying in his hide for weeks, but has just started coming out again - now he is either in his hide or hiding under the substrate so that you cant see him....which is quite an achievement for a 4 and a half foot snake! Main thing is not to panic...just be patient. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  22:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice everyone, really helpful.

I had a look around the viv for her and she was curled up in a corner, wasn't looking dull yet so maybe she's just keeping out of the way. AS long as I know it's normal it's not a problem.

I'll bear in mind putting some clothing in with her, I'll keep away from my socks though

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  09:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrMerlin

.....I'll bear in mind putting some clothing in with her, I'll keep away from my socks though

Haha, definitely!!!

And welcome to the forum.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000