The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 any one no where to get a cheap starter kit?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex09 Posted - 20/09/2009 : 16:45:43
hi,i am looking for a cheap starter kit with all i will need for a corn snake with it?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 21/09/2009 : 18:46:51
if you look at 'starter kits' make sure they include a thermostat, otherwise you'll need to add the cost of that onto it too ;)
alex09 Posted - 21/09/2009 : 12:12:31
thanks sam
Sammysnake Posted - 21/09/2009 : 06:55:29
I found the starter kits are not necessarily the cheapest way forward and a bargain can always be found if you have the time to look around.

I got my matstat, heatmat and digital thermometer from Ebay for under £40 (paid for by selling random items that were lying around the house). The housing is a glass aquarium with a good tight fitting lid from the local recycling centre - £3 (just needed to drill airholes in the lid). Hides - I had some spares but people cut entrance holes in small plant pots or use loo roll tubes etc. I got a ceramic water bowl from Tesco for £1 and use kitchen roll as substrate.

For the snake itself - the reptile shop wanted £65 for an Anery which was what I wanted - on the Preloved website I found a local breeder and got my baby for £20 instead and get this - she has some of her babies for sale at the same shop so if I'd bought from there, I could have been getting the same animal for way more money!!

Total 'real money' spend (I don't count the money I make on Ebay)- £4 for the setup and £20 for my Anery baby Good luck with your shopping Sam
alex09 Posted - 20/09/2009 : 20:14:26
thanks for the help guys
Chimp276 Posted - 20/09/2009 : 19:34:58
triple 8 does a good snake starter kit!
Bilbo Posted - 20/09/2009 : 18:30:09
can you put the heat mat under a rub as it is?? or do you need anything els??
Stumpy Posted - 20/09/2009 : 18:27:15
For a baby get a heat mat and thermostat, a Rub ( similar to a sandwich box ) two hides one for the end by the heat mat and a water bowl, if you get one similar to a cat feeding bowl it may have a cutout for picking it up. this is ideal foe the cool end hide as well as water, use kitchen roll for a substrate and it should last a few months.
alex09 Posted - 20/09/2009 : 17:43:36
i was think maybe a baby corn snake if that helps
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/09/2009 : 17:18:52
What size snake are you thinking of getting??
Basics you'll need:

Heat-mat (size depends on viv/faun size)
Stat
Digi-thermometer (ideally 2)
2 hides
water bowl
substrate (could be shredded paper, paper towels, aspen etc)

Until a guesstimate of the snake size, it's hard to give you a better idea on what size mat and viv you'll need.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000