The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 *** First feed problem, need help in realtime ***

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/08/2009 : 20:22:54
Took pinkie out of freezer three hours before feed.

At 8pm we took Shen out of his viv and put him in the plastic box he came in, which was where he lived before.

Offered him pinkie, no interest, just a panicked scramble to find cover, and then just stayed still.

At the moment he's still in the box, with pinkie.

I'm thinking of going back to check on things in half an hour, but what if he hasn't touched it? Back into the viv with pinkie for overnight?

Wish I could phone one of you.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 30/08/2009 : 01:27:54
So far he hasn't taken. Pinkie in there with him, we'll see tomorrow morning.
Kellog Posted - 29/08/2009 : 22:41:56
Agree with Meggi, if he doesnt taken then leave him for a week, only going into the viv to change the water and straighten substrate. If he is stressed he wont feed. I know its hard but when Kellog went on his 13 week fast we tried to feed him every 5 days and left him alone other than that. It worked in the end although it was stressful - for us! Let us know how it goes tonight. xxx
n/a Posted - 29/08/2009 : 16:15:10
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Hey Hawkeye - any success with feeding? xxx

Haven't tried again yet, tonight is the night.
meggi Posted - 29/08/2009 : 15:06:13
i wouldnt try again 4 another week. If you keep offering food like this , you gonna upset him more by messing around with hs feeding pattern. Then when it comes to feeding next week , DONT ...CHANGE...ANYTHING!!!!!!! Changing it even as simple as changing the mouse from been cool to warm , it might you in even more difficult.

REMEMBER DONT CHANGE ANYTHING WHATEVER U DO.

megxx

http://yfrog.com/3t10016972j
Kellog Posted - 29/08/2009 : 03:05:37
Hey Hawkeye - any success with feeding? xxx
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 22:06:55
Hope he takes it tomorrow and want some pics if he does :D
HannahB Posted - 28/08/2009 : 21:37:04
yeah if you get a pair of tweezers or preferably long tongues hold a warmish and brained pinkie by the tail and gently wiggle it infront of snakey but be careful not to hit him.. if hes hungry he will start to pay attention and become generally inquisitive and realise that mousie = food
hope hes feeds soon!
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 17:27:02
quote:
Originally posted by Dykie

Hawkeye
My Hercules was the same and totally ignored the food in with him. After a few hours i give the pinkie a little shake infront of him and he Whacked it so fast i jumped outta my skin.
Im not an expert or anything but try to give it a wiggle with some tweezers/tongues

Thanks for the additional advice Dykie, any input is appreciated, and who knows your idea might just be exactly what is needed, only I hope he takes at first go. Well see tomorrow night.
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 15:13:27
Hawkeye
My Hercules was the same and totally ignored the food in with him. After a few hours i give the pinkie a little shake infront of him and he Whacked it so fast i jumped outta my skin.
Im not an expert or anything but try to give it a wiggle with some tweezers/tongues
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 12:56:23
Thanks Kellog

Kellog Posted - 28/08/2009 : 04:08:13
I know I didnt start out with a youngster like you Hawkeye, but Kellog decided to go on a 13 week fast from the point we got him! Without the forum I would have gone crazy with worry. Trust the advice you have been given and give him time. xxx
n/a Posted - 27/08/2009 : 22:07:16
Thanks, GP. Meantime we're keeping our cool. I mean, it's only 45 hours, 52 minutes and 16 seconds until the next attempt
gingerpony Posted - 27/08/2009 : 21:49:23
cool, sounds like a good plan
n/a Posted - 27/08/2009 : 21:32:49
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

That really is nothing, if he hasn't eaten in another couple of weeks (try every 5 days) then it might be worth thinking about I'm sure glad to read this, thanks!

Based on all the responses and what we learned these past few days, plan at the moment is to try again over the weekend by putting a super-warm brained and slitted pinkie on a piece of kitchen roll right there in the viv with him, and if necessary leave for 24 hours. Until then, it's hands off other than to change his water.
gingerpony Posted - 27/08/2009 : 18:58:31
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

You should still be able to handle him, he must get normal treatment.

i'm sorry i don't agree at all, if he's not feeding then don't handle him until his feeding routine is established.
Blackecho Posted - 27/08/2009 : 17:05:43
That really is nothing, if he hasn't eaten in another couple of weeks (try every 5 days) then it might be worth thinking about
Stumpy Posted - 27/08/2009 : 14:11:17
Leave him until the next feed day. You should still be able to handle him, he must get normal treatment.
He may have stressed out due to you moving him to his new viv then suddenly moving him again.
Get a plate or shallow tray to put his food on and make sure it is large enough for him to move around without getting substrate on the food.
On feeding day put the plate with pinky in viv, he should recognize the plate as feeding time. Once he has fed or after 24 Hrs remove the plate with or without the food depending on if he ate it or not.
This routine should calm him enough to get settled.
devilsmistress Posted - 27/08/2009 : 14:02:45
Dont panic, They can go a while without food. Give him a few more days, then try braining the pinky and feding him, or slit the pinky across the nose to draw blood
n/a Posted - 27/08/2009 : 13:13:42
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

How long have you had him Eight days
how old is he Roughly nine weeks
and how long since he ate? He was fed 3 or 4 days before we brought him home, so it's 11-12 days since he ate.

He didn't take the pinkie last night so we took it out mid morning. What could be the problem? How long can he go on like this and what should I do if he refuses when we try again this weekend?
Blackecho Posted - 27/08/2009 : 07:10:30
How long have you had him, how old is he and how long since he ate?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000