The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thermostst settings, please help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 15:50:18

1. Instructions say, "position the ministat sensor in the vivarium approx 225mm away from the heat source" and goes on to explain it should measure air temp rather than direct heat, BUT it also says, "When using a ministat 100 the temperature probe should be placd in the centre of the heat mat."
I'm getting really confused here.. what's the difference between a sensor and a probe? Where should I place what? Directly on the mat? somewhere in the viv? The viv measures, in cm, 32.5x22.5x18 and another problem is that it's a plastic box with no adequate holes for such a thick cable!

2. To what temp should I set the thermostat?

Any help appreciated...

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 21:56:03
Cold makes snakes lethargic, heat makes them active.
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 21:54:45
I've thinned it out at the warm end. Still not much of a temp difference: 28.0, 26.3.

Earlier he was going active in the warm end (not sure what he's up to right this minutes) but still prefers resting in the cool end.

solid Posted - 24/08/2009 : 19:02:57
the heat probably wont penatrate all that beech you got there, could be why you have the same temps at both ends, thin it out a bit over the mat
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 18:22:21
Ok. I've removed some substrate. Left 2cm in warm end, 3cm in cool end. Thermo probes now touching the substrate and read 27.9 and 27.3. Isn't cool end too warm?

Snakey is in a favourite spot on the cool side, which isn't at the bottom but on top of what looks like a chunk of tree, which has some "bark" covering. In other words, he prefers this spot as a cool side hide rather than the hide he has at the bottom. Possibly because it's cooler up there?

Here is a pic I tood a couple of days ago, it shows that "tree" arrangement he likes to go on top of/into:

Stumpy Posted - 24/08/2009 : 17:44:52
Most Reptiles absorb the heat from contact with a warm surface like rocks in the wild, some warmth comes from direct sunlight.
As long as the viv temp is not too high or too low the temp gradient will come from the surface.
matty18714 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:53:44
You wont have any problems with a temperature gradient with a heat mat because they only heat the surfaces they touch.

What is the reading on the thermometer? If thats reading in the high 20's, the 9area under the substrate will be very hot. I would move some of the substrate away from the area covering the mat to allow for more heat to come up.
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:31:44
There's another thing: I don't see how I can set a temp gradient of 21-30 in such a small viv.

I really want to do what's right and am getting quite worried now.

On a positive note: he doesn't shy away any more when a hand goes in to change his water. It's been five days since we brought him home.
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:26:13
It's now set up as in the new picture: stat probe taped to mat outside viv.

What you see inside viv is a digital thermometer probe.

matty18714 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:20:06

S = stat
T = thermometer
The orange is substrate.

Hope this helps.
matty18714 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:11:19
Take the thermostat probe out of the tank and tape it directly onto the heat mat (outside the tank). Have you digital thermometer probe lying in the substrate above the heat mat (inside the tank).
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:10:19
Explanation: the white wire is the stat probe. The black one inside belongs to the thermometer.
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:08:50
Matty, is this correct?

matty18714 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:06:14
If she in a platic faun/tub, its alot more practicle and a bit more accurate, but it doesnt make a huge amount of differance.
inkiepixie Posted - 24/08/2009 : 16:03:57
If the heat mat is outisde the viv the temp probe should be on the mat and NOT inside the viv?

Oh lordy, how have I not fried Bella?!
sexychef Posted - 24/08/2009 : 15:57:46
right the probe should go ontop or just under the substrate around the center of the heat mat.

and to set the temp you need a digi thermometer to calabrate it as the numbers on the dial of the stat really match up.

sorry my directions are for use with a wooden viv
matty18714 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 15:56:42
Ignore everything the stat instructions say. Is your heat mat underneath the plastic tank? (it should be). Tape the probe (sensor is the same thing) directly to the heat mat. Plug the heat mat into the socket on the stat and plug the stat into the mains.

Then just change the stat dial until the temperatre measured above the mat is about 29*C. Ignore the numbers on the stat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000