The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Where to feed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/08/2009 : 20:24:21
I was told not to feed her in her viv but she gets really stressed when I put her into the wee plastic tub. Any ideas?Should I just feed her in her viv?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 22/08/2009 : 08:29:13
Can I change question a bit to 'when to feed' as opposed to 'where to feed'? Must admit that up until now we havent done it at a regular time of day, just when Kellog is out and about. I know a lot of you feed in the evening but he doesnt seem that active then. Problem is at moment he is spending most of time in hide (recovering from mites). He is still eating and will strike from inside hide. Do you need to feed at a regular time of day or is it not that important? xxx
Taz Devil Posted - 19/08/2009 : 14:46:17
I feed Sid in her viv. I have a water dish that I use to put the mouse on. she's not a strike feeder as she's a little timid around the mouse when moved, but I can usually lure her out of her hide with the mouse and leave her to it once she reaches the feeding dish.

I've got her feeding on a Thursday night at about 7 or 8 ish.
Kazerella Posted - 19/08/2009 : 12:12:55
I'd go 5 days
n/a Posted - 18/08/2009 : 21:10:59
Thanks for the advice. Going to try feed her again on thursday. I have been told by one person to feed her every 3 days and another said every 5 days. I was going to feed her every 5 cause I thought every 3 days seemed a bit much.How far apart should I be feeding her?She is about 12 inches long I know this doesn`t help too much but I have no idea what age she is! x
Kazerella Posted - 18/08/2009 : 11:41:07
I feed 11 of my snakes outside of the viv and only one within the viv (the royal - because she's a pain and won't eat except under perfect conditions ).

I use cat litter trays, so there is an easy to clean surface to feed them on- plus you can see everything well and take clear photos if you choose.

I found (with the king snakes especially) it is better to feed outside the viv, because then they don't associate things going into the viv as food so you're less likely to get bit

(which was proved when the royal bit me - it was a definite feeding response as she mistook my warm and moving hands in the viv for an incoming meal)
n/a Posted - 18/08/2009 : 11:22:28
Yeah me too. My husband doesn`t get it . I think it`s cause he is scared of her lol.x
Kellog Posted - 18/08/2009 : 04:50:48
Join the club, I drive my OH mad cos I worry all the time.....but Kellog is my reponsibility and I want to do everything I can to make sure he is healthy and happy and I understand as much about him as possible - but to OH that comes over as worrying! xxx
n/a Posted - 17/08/2009 : 22:31:07
Thanks really apreciate all the advice. Think I worry too much lol.
Kellog Posted - 17/08/2009 : 22:17:52
Just give her time laurad, she will not suffer waiting til the next feeding day. xxx
n/a Posted - 16/08/2009 : 17:00:54
i always feed in the viv with a piece of paper under him but i use large beach chips anyway so not to much chance of ingesting anything
Stumpy Posted - 16/08/2009 : 16:32:32
Wait until the next feeding day.
n/a Posted - 16/08/2009 : 15:35:32
She still never eat last night! When do you think I should try her again? I was gonna wait till thursday! You think I should try her sooner? Would really apreciate any advice thanks.
Flatpack63 Posted - 16/08/2009 : 14:23:34
I've always fed Rizla in his viv with no problems. But I'm going to try feeding Menthol outside so I can compare and draw my own conclusions.
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/08/2009 : 19:51:30
sounds fine to me, I normally feed mine just before my bedtime (10-11pm) when they are up. I dont like having food thrust at me halfway through a snooze!
n/a Posted - 15/08/2009 : 19:46:05
I would rather feed her in her viv as I feel it would be less stressful for her. Well I am going to give her a feed tonight. I was gonna feed her about 11pm as she tends to be up at this time. Any thoughts on this? I thought it would be better to try her with a feed when she is active.
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/08/2009 : 17:29:33
I agree Kellog, Casper has been fed in his viv for well over 6 years, and has NEVER struck at me.
Kellog Posted - 15/08/2009 : 17:08:26
She can go a while without food and it is better to leave her to settle rather than stress her (and yourself) by trying to feed her too soon. I dont know enough to know how long she could go at her age without worrying.
You are certainly ok to feed her in your viv. I am not sure about what KittyCat has said. I can understand a snake biting you when you are feeding it because the smell of the mouse is overwhelming and the snake is in hunting mode. But I dont think there is anything to worry about your snake thinking your hand is food when you have your hand in viv as surely the snake can smell that it is you and not food??
KITTYCAT Posted - 15/08/2009 : 16:48:48
personally my snakes have always been put in a tupperware to get fed as i was told not to feed them in the viv because snakes sense heat so if you feed them in the viv your snake may one time think that your thumb or finger is food when you put you hand in the viv n you will end up with a rather sore finger better safe than sorry thats my motto.
eeji Posted - 15/08/2009 : 16:26:53
quote:
Originally posted by laurad

Didn`t get much info about her so don`t know her age.She is about 12/13 inches. I have got kitchen roll down just now.

you'll be ok feeding her in her viv/tub/whatever-she-lives-in for now ;)
n/a Posted - 15/08/2009 : 15:49:05
Hi, Kellog i have had her a week now.Handled her first day then found this site (great advice). I have just left her alone apart from changing water etc. I heard the bit about leaving her a week but the shop said they feed their snakes about 4.30pm on a sat but I got her before this time so I was worried she hadn`t eat for a while. That`s why a tried her with a feed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000