The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 My Snake Tried to Eat Me

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/08/2009 : 22:27:53
OK I'm new to snake keeping and have acquired a mature corn snake (pictures in the photo section).

From what I can gather the poor snake hasn’t had a great life so far and has not had a lot of human contact.

He has bitten me a couple of times, but to be honest it doesn’t hurt and maybe I’m trying to be too friendly to soon.

Anyway tonight he was quite lively, so I opened the viv door and let him climb out on my arm. He seemed quite happy to be out and was having a good look about, when he opened his mouth as wide as it would go and stuck it on my forearm. He didn’t strike like he does when given his dinner, just slowly opened up and tried to eat my arm.

I can only assume that I smell like a dead rat ???
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/08/2009 : 09:09:00
Thanks for all the helpfull sugestions and kind words. Its much appreciated.
Kellog Posted - 06/08/2009 : 03:05:24
Just give him time to settle in, especially if he has had a bad past. The trick is slowly, slowly, for both of you. Getting used to your smell, your hand in his viv, then handling him for small amounts of time - gaining his trust and letting you handle him without being nervous, because he will pick up on your nerves. Always keep in mind his past, he is so lucky to have you as his owner now but it will take time for him to get used to you. xxx
Stumpy Posted - 06/08/2009 : 02:48:23
HE IS NOT SETTLED ENOUGH. HE HAS GOT TO SETTLE DOWN.
Dazzetski Posted - 06/08/2009 : 01:37:29
i'm having the exact same thing with tango, look at the aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh post in the photos, i'm assuming that she's just getting used to me. At the end of the day as long as she eats, sheds & poos ok, I'll live with it if she doesn't stop. All part of being a herpo
eeji Posted - 06/08/2009 : 01:00:30
its cos he loves you ;)
lee2308 Posted - 05/08/2009 : 23:55:22
Should calm down,did you give him a settling in period?
gingerpony Posted - 05/08/2009 : 22:55:43
do you have any other pets that he could have smelled on you? or been in contact with any other animals?

doesn't sounds like normal corn behaviour lol

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000