My Snake Tried to Eat Me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  22:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I'm new to snake keeping and have acquired a mature corn snake (pictures in the photo section).

From what I can gather the poor snake hasn’t had a great life so far and has not had a lot of human contact.

He has bitten me a couple of times, but to be honest it doesn’t hurt and maybe I’m trying to be too friendly to soon.

Anyway tonight he was quite lively, so I opened the viv door and let him climb out on my arm. He seemed quite happy to be out and was having a good look about, when he opened his mouth as wide as it would go and stuck it on my forearm. He didn’t strike like he does when given his dinner, just slowly opened up and tried to eat my arm.

I can only assume that I smell like a dead rat ???

1.0.0. Ghost Corn Nibbles
0.2.0. Cats Bubble and Squeak
0.0.16 Tropical fish.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  22:55:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do you have any other pets that he could have smelled on you? or been in contact with any other animals?

doesn't sounds like normal corn behaviour lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  23:55:22  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Should calm down,did you give him a settling in period?

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  01:00:30  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its cos he loves you ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  01:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm having the exact same thing with tango, look at the aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh post in the photos, i'm assuming that she's just getting used to me. At the end of the day as long as she eats, sheds & poos ok, I'll live with it if she doesn't stop. All part of being a herpo

0.2.0 cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Ghost - Hogan, Carolina - Shaggy, Snow - Sparkle, Amel - Tango, Crimson -Fred, Candy Cane - Haribo & Normal Stripe - Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 fish
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  02:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HE IS NOT SETTLED ENOUGH. HE HAS GOT TO SETTLE DOWN.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  03:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just give him time to settle in, especially if he has had a bad past. The trick is slowly, slowly, for both of you. Getting used to your smell, your hand in his viv, then handling him for small amounts of time - gaining his trust and letting you handle him without being nervous, because he will pick up on your nerves. Always keep in mind his past, he is so lucky to have you as his owner now but it will take time for him to get used to you. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  09:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the helpfull sugestions and kind words. Its much appreciated.

1.0.0. Ghost Corn Nibbles
0.2.0. Cats Bubble and Squeak
0.0.16 Tropical fish.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000