The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 A few newbie questions on handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dr Lupus Posted - 23/07/2009 : 17:25:08
I was wondering what the best way to approach handling with a month old corn was.

I wasn't told when I took him/her home that I should leave them alone for a week then I read it here and got a tad worried. I left Lucius alone for the first day to allow him to settle in. Then the day after I just started putting my hand in a few centemetres away and last night i tried stroke him but he ran off so I took the hint and left him be.

I was hoping I won't have done any major damage to relations between me and Lucius by introducing myself so early. :s

Plus when I can handle Lucius whats the best way to start? Just by introducing myself slowly or by picking him up straight away?

Thanks for any help in advance guys,
Li x
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dr Lupus Posted - 27/07/2009 : 11:33:12
UPDATE: Ok so I tried handling him last night but he's still really really twitchy runninng off and burying himself. Would I be right in assuming he won't want to be handled naturally and this will come with time?
Dr Lupus Posted - 26/07/2009 : 07:46:43
Thanks for all the advice guys :) - I'm gonna have a go at picking him up in a couple of days now hes spending most of his days out of his hide. :)
HannahB Posted - 24/07/2009 : 22:12:56
i left my lil guy for a week to settle in and got a quick hold before i fed him for the first time (was getting impatient lol)
i have to be honest tho as its only in the last few days that hes really started to come out of his hides and actually investigate his new home - he did investigate before but only when i was putting him back and he was going back to his hide.. now hes all over the place investigating lol
Stumpy Posted - 24/07/2009 : 20:28:38
Welcome, I had a similar worry when I got mine.
He snapped at me, It turned out he as shedding so he was forgiven.
I just reach in and if he is in a hide I tap it lightly be fore lifting it and grabbing him, (Well picking him up)
He is now so tae even though he has just been fed he is still poking his head out of the hide and watching me.
curragh Posted - 24/07/2009 : 17:10:34
yeah leave him for a while wen i got mine of my mate it was the same i did that and nw he cant wait for me to take him out
o and welcome btw.
Dr Lupus Posted - 24/07/2009 : 07:44:26
Thanks for the advice guys :)- just leaving him alone for a day is helping loads he's coming out of his cave alot more and lookin round everywhere - he's taken to lounging on the top of his viv atm lol
n/a Posted - 23/07/2009 : 21:45:53
Hi Li and welcome. Have you looked at the care sheet on the home page? Or you could try the advice GingerPony offers on the forum, you can't go far wrong with them, and as the others have said, leave Lucious alone to settle, let him feed in 5-7 days, allow 2-3 days for digesting his food, and then be firm, slow, confident and gentle, all at the same time...simples (honest, it's easier done than said). All the best with the little guy
n/a Posted - 23/07/2009 : 20:38:21
you just have to get in there and pick it up, i have 4 hatchlings at the mo and thats what i did and now they are calm and like bein handled.....
lee2308 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 20:15:35
As matty said leave a week then feed then handle 2 days later,i would go straight in and scoop him up
eeji Posted - 23/07/2009 : 18:12:33
for a month old corn, you'll probably need to dive straight in and get hold of him otherwise he'll try to scarper off
matty18714 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 17:29:25
First off, leave it for a week to settle itself. After that try feeding it and if it feeds, leave it for 2 days to digest. If it doesnt feed, leave it around 5 days and try again.

After the first feed you can start handling. You can either open the tub, and let it come out by itself (or move out of cover). Or you can go in very deliberatly and get it out. Either way be gentle, slow and dont move over the snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000