The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Switching over to wooden

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lucifer Posted - 07/07/2009 : 17:48:36
Hey guys

About a year down the line I want to get a wooden viv for my little guy and was wondering:

What do you suggest putting on top of the heat mat inside the viv.
I've heard vinyl tiles are good?

Also has anyone got this viv and if so can they give me a quick review thumbs up or thumbs down:
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivariums-cabinet-combinations-460/vivexotic-36in-viv-cabinet-beech-61917.html
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jono2411 Posted - 08/07/2009 : 09:28:02
I use a heat mat on a stat with a low power bulb for lighting only... it doesn't raise the temp at al so its on a timer for 10 hours of light atm... that way you get aesthetically pleasing light and heat mat heat....
Taz Devil Posted - 08/07/2009 : 09:23:26
I've just moved my corn into a similar type of viv. I use a heat mat on a stat, a thermometer with 2 temp readings so can see both hot and cold end. I use aspen as the substrate, only down side I have with my viv is that it only has one small circular vent on the back so I have bought this from B&Q to fit at the weekend.
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/07/2009 : 09:06:21
I use heat mats, and I have never had to put anything other than substrate over the top (obviously I use a thermostat) but some people do like tiles because they hold the heat well and are a completely different texture for your snake.
n/a Posted - 07/07/2009 : 23:45:40
i think thats the type of viv i have, the make, vivs are vivs really does the job. It comes packed very well, no damage to the glass, which is good, fast deliv.
cherry-milkshake Posted - 07/07/2009 : 22:18:20
Luke you don't need two heat sources. Either a bulb or a mat. I prefer bulbs personally for several reasons:

a) It gives a more natural effect - like the sun
b) They are easier to control and monitor IMO - you can actually see a bulb and see how high/low it's running - and primarily if it's working, you wouldn't necessarily notice a faulty mat straight away
c) Aesthetics - I love lit tanks, they look really nice. The viv you've got your eye on looks lush btw.
and d) as someone else mentioned on another thread, they're not as suitable for adult corns and they can get burnt on them

But I'm sure there's just as many cons for using bulbs so it's personal choice really. I think there are ways of heating with a mat and lighting as well, but personally I just think it's easier to use one tool for both jobs - less wires! But that said, I have four tanks in all so I need to keep my wireworks (and my electric bill!) down. lol. You can fit mats or bulbs to therms - I always use habistat personally, but the dimmer type, not the pulse (for lights obviously)
lucifer Posted - 07/07/2009 : 18:34:33
Ok and do heat mats and heat bulbs work ok together with stats?
matty18714 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 18:04:01
From what i've seen a wodden viv is a wooden viv. Most of the main brands are very simular.
Brookestar Posted - 07/07/2009 : 18:02:09
not got that viv but personally i dont like the stand as a fear they will be knocked however my friend has a stand in her front room and it does look good.
Jono2411 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 18:01:55
although im taking delivery of this tomorrow:
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1902&ProductGroupID=132
Jono2411 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 18:01:12
i've heard good things about the vivexotic vivs but as i don't have one myself i'm not going to give you any more than that...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000