The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Parthenogenesis.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/07/2009 : 03:03:05

Just remembered this while I was answering an intros question, and thought i'd pass it on.

Had to google it to remember the full info, but it shows that I do still retain some of my Science texts in my head somewhere.

Cloning by Parthenogenesis
A snake is born to a mother that did not have a mate. Although this may sound
impossible, or like some headline in a tabloid magazine, this can actually occur in nature.
Parthenogenesis (pahr thuh noh JEHN uh sihs) is a type of reproduction in which a new
individual develops from an unfertilized egg. Since there is no male that contributes
genetic material, the offspring is a clone (genetically identical) of the mother. Clones are
usually produced in nature by asexual reproduction. Parthenogenesis, however, is a
special form of cloning.

Why Does Parthenogenesis Occur?
Parthenogenesis in snakes has usually occurred in older females that have lived many
years without male companionship, such as those in a zoo. It is hypothesized that the
mother snake copies her own chromosomes in place of the missing father’s
chromosomes, thereby self-fertilizing her egg. Other scientists think that after a long
absence of males, some unknown signal (such as a hormone) triggers the egg to start
dividing.

http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v90/n2/full/6800210a.html

Might be interesting for some people.

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PunkAsF82 Posted - 06/07/2009 : 21:03:11
haha so am i. just proves that girls rule
HannahB Posted - 06/07/2009 : 19:59:30
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

Almost as cool as a praying mantis eating its lovers head after mating, to show males the real leaders (and to limit food compitition of course lol)

i thought that the male praying mantis couldnt mate with its head attached to its body still.. lol glad im not a male praying mantis!
Mancunian Posted - 05/07/2009 : 14:53:44
The Komodo Dragon at Chester Zoo did this also. All the offspring were clones. One of the true miracles of nature.
heatseeker872591 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 13:08:03
haha i heard that a female komodo in london zoo done it. does sany one remember the 1998 movie godzilla? the lizard in that done it aswell tho that was referred to as "Asexual reproduction" its a good topic tho
n/a Posted - 03/07/2009 : 11:27:33
great post!
n/a Posted - 03/07/2009 : 06:49:08
that's amazing! i knew amphibian could do it but i had no idea that snakes could...
PunkAsF82 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 23:02:22
hehe thats cool

Almost as cool as a praying mantis eating its lovers head after mating, to show males the real leaders (and to limit food compitition of course lol)
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/07/2009 : 21:08:53
Clown Fish can change sex as well. Was watching an interesting docu about them the other day, apparently they live in a very hierarchical society, with each one being exactly 20% smaller than the next one up.
PunkAsF82 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 16:05:19
most amphibians do this.

Also, a large number of extotherms, mainly phibs, will change sex in a single sex environment One way to beat nature
n/a Posted - 02/07/2009 : 14:23:03
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

very interesting

can you say the word...lol...
lee2308 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 12:33:39
very interesting
n/a Posted - 02/07/2009 : 10:57:43
good post Kehhl...

Ell Posted - 02/07/2009 : 09:36:16
Komodo dragons do that :D

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page