The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Wet hide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Slink Posted - 18/06/2013 : 14:21:25
Hi, slink has just gone into blue and a couple if sheds ago had a bad shed. With the last shed I bought a wet hide which came with some moss which I used to make it more humid and this worked perfectly because the shed came off all in one. I don't have any of that moss left and the person I bought it from said that sphagnum moss is just as good (bought from a garden centre). I have jut been to the local garden centre and could only find "natural moss", does anyone know if this is the same thing or if I do need to get sphagnum moss specifically?
Your help is really appreciated :)
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 19/06/2013 : 08:40:50
Hope he sheds ok George. As Herriotfan has said, you do have time to get some sphagnum moss if his eyes have only just clouded over. I've used WildWorldReptiles before and they are good - http://www.wildworldreptileshop.co.uk/lucky-reptile-sphagnum-moss-100g/

Xxx
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 18/06/2013 : 20:42:34
As with everyone here, you can use reptile safe moss from any reptile outlet, garden centre moss can contain bugs and maybe even fungi can grow if soaked in water.
Alternatives include damp paper towels, damp cloth.
Hope all sheds well :)
Slink Posted - 18/06/2013 : 19:36:48
Last measurement slink was about 90cm, I will try the damp flannel and /or te paper towel inside the hide in that case. Thanks for the advice I shall follow this up with a few pics of slink post shed :)
ScalySituation Posted - 18/06/2013 : 18:55:39
How big is the little guy?
I use biodegradable plant pots as everyday hides, they can then be dampened for sheds but dry out back to their original shape, they only come in fairly small sizes though. shame
Moppet Posted - 18/06/2013 : 18:53:27
I just used damp paper towels when I didn't have any moss. As long as its wet and clean Garden centre moss can have bugs in like herriotfan said. Snakes can catch mites from such sources.

I would get sphagnum moss specifically for reptiles if I were you, then you know it is safe for them
herriotfan Posted - 18/06/2013 : 15:54:30
Just put a damp flannel on the warm hide.
Normal garden moss is no good because it can have bugs in.
You can get s/moss from any reptile outlet. You would still have time to get some and make a hide if you wanted before your snake sheds if his eyes have only just gone blue.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000