The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Best disinfectant/cleaner?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mjpeters Posted - 17/05/2013 : 23:42:41
Does anyone have any fave viv cleaner/sprays? Currently I just use a little warm soapy water where needed,then throw away the cloth(those thin blue ones in pack of 20).
For the glass I use the same,then dry off with scrunched up newspaper-this gets off any streaky marks.
I don't want to sound all 'Kim and Aggie' but any other ideas most welcome
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 18/05/2013 : 20:36:48
plain old bleach for me (diluted of course), never had any troubles
mjpeters Posted - 18/05/2013 : 19:08:26
thanks all-Squeaky clean viv's all the wayI'll get hold of some F10 and give that a go
Sta~ple Posted - 18/05/2013 : 17:27:54
The one I have is safe :) if I didn't think it was, I wouldn't it use it. Though to be honest with all the other animals, looking at it it's not as cheap as I thought it was :(

The ready made stuff wouldn't last me long at all, I do tend to go a bit ott with the squirting I should probably buy the concentrate and ask the b/f to do the mixing since he does that kinda stuff for a living. Might shift the parrot poo easier...
herriotfan Posted - 18/05/2013 : 12:04:37
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I used to use soapy water for years but then I grew tired of lugging a pan about everywhere :p I just buy this "keep it clean" stuff from sainsburys as it's cheap. May try f10 at some point as I alot of people use it, I just worry about not mixing the amount right!

You can get it ready made-up in the spray bottle.
It seems expensive but it lasts for so long it works out ok in the long term.
I wouldn't use anything else nowadays.
Auld Baldy Posted - 18/05/2013 : 11:54:39
Be aware that cheap cleaners and disinfectants are not guaranteed reptile safe.

I got a reply from Dettol Customer Services that under NO circumstances should any of their products be used for reptiles, even the Surface Cleaners that are advertised as "Baby Safe" must not be used.

The concentrated F 10 comes with a semi-automatic measuring dispenser. If you are not comfortable with measuring it out then it is available as a ready mixed trigger spray.

For the price it is not worth risking the well being of your reptiles.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/05/2013 : 11:15:53
I used to use soapy water for years but then I grew tired of lugging a pan about everywhere :p I just buy this "keep it clean" stuff from sainsburys as it's cheap. May try f10 at some point as I alot of people use it, I just worry about not mixing the amount right!
herriotfan Posted - 18/05/2013 : 09:03:39
F10 for me all the way.
_spadey_ Posted - 18/05/2013 : 01:31:53
To clean my viv I wipe down with a damped cloth then spray liberally with beaphar deep clean reptile disinfectant. I will then wipe dry the whole viv. The bottle says it is not necessary to rinse the viv out afterwards and if there is a soiled patch to allow the disinfectant to soak in.
Through my experience I can rate it quite highly. It is cheap (usually around £5), lasts long (its a 500 ml bottle and I only have the 1 snake), effective (claims long lasting protection against bacteria (such as salmonella, E.coli and MRSA), fungi and viruses), does not have the typical bleach smell and with my experience I can say that it has been safe for my reptile.
In case you decide you want to buy some, here is a link for the cheapest I have seen it (should be £4.09). http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/reptile-supplies/reptile-treatments/reptile-cage-disinfectants-and-cleaners/beaphar-deep-clean-disinfectant-reptile-500ml.html?ref=googlebase&gclid=CKHUi7msnrcCFerHtAodK3wA3A
However I am sure there are other great products you could try instead such as the F10 disinfectant, so I would wait for reviews from other keepers.
Sorry if there is too much info here it is late and I tend to waffle about such minor things when I am tired XD
Auld Baldy Posted - 18/05/2013 : 00:04:39
For proper disinfecting use a reptile safe one such as F 10. Available as a concentrate which you just measure into a spray skoosher and top up with water to dilute to proper concentration.

You can also use 10% PLAIN bleach. A good glug in a basin of boiling water is about right for cleaning water dishes or any other grotty bits. Always rinse well in fresh water and leave to air dry until the smell of bleach has disappeared.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000