Best disinfectant/cleaner?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  23:42:41  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any fave viv cleaner/sprays? Currently I just use a little warm soapy water where needed,then throw away the cloth(those thin blue ones in pack of 20).
For the glass I use the same,then dry off with scrunched up newspaper-this gets off any streaky marks.
I don't want to sound all 'Kim and Aggie' but any other ideas most welcome

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  00:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For proper disinfecting use a reptile safe one such as F 10. Available as a concentrate which you just measure into a spray skoosher and top up with water to dilute to proper concentration.

You can also use 10% PLAIN bleach. A good glug in a basin of boiling water is about right for cleaning water dishes or any other grotty bits. Always rinse well in fresh water and leave to air dry until the smell of bleach has disappeared.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

_spadey_
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  01:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To clean my viv I wipe down with a damped cloth then spray liberally with beaphar deep clean reptile disinfectant. I will then wipe dry the whole viv. The bottle says it is not necessary to rinse the viv out afterwards and if there is a soiled patch to allow the disinfectant to soak in.
Through my experience I can rate it quite highly. It is cheap (usually around £5), lasts long (its a 500 ml bottle and I only have the 1 snake), effective (claims long lasting protection against bacteria (such as salmonella, E.coli and MRSA), fungi and viruses), does not have the typical bleach smell and with my experience I can say that it has been safe for my reptile.
In case you decide you want to buy some, here is a link for the cheapest I have seen it (should be £4.09). http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/reptile-supplies/reptile-treatments/reptile-cage-disinfectants-and-cleaners/beaphar-deep-clean-disinfectant-reptile-500ml.html?ref=googlebase&gclid=CKHUi7msnrcCFerHtAodK3wA3A
However I am sure there are other great products you could try instead such as the F10 disinfectant, so I would wait for reviews from other keepers.
Sorry if there is too much info here it is late and I tend to waffle about such minor things when I am tired XD
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  09:03:39  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
F10 for me all the way.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  11:15:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to use soapy water for years but then I grew tired of lugging a pan about everywhere :p I just buy this "keep it clean" stuff from sainsburys as it's cheap. May try f10 at some point as I alot of people use it, I just worry about not mixing the amount right!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  11:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be aware that cheap cleaners and disinfectants are not guaranteed reptile safe.

I got a reply from Dettol Customer Services that under NO circumstances should any of their products be used for reptiles, even the Surface Cleaners that are advertised as "Baby Safe" must not be used.

The concentrated F 10 comes with a semi-automatic measuring dispenser. If you are not comfortable with measuring it out then it is available as a ready mixed trigger spray.

For the price it is not worth risking the well being of your reptiles.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  12:04:37  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I used to use soapy water for years but then I grew tired of lugging a pan about everywhere :p I just buy this "keep it clean" stuff from sainsburys as it's cheap. May try f10 at some point as I alot of people use it, I just worry about not mixing the amount right!

You can get it ready made-up in the spray bottle.
It seems expensive but it lasts for so long it works out ok in the long term.
I wouldn't use anything else nowadays.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  17:27:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The one I have is safe :) if I didn't think it was, I wouldn't it use it. Though to be honest with all the other animals, looking at it it's not as cheap as I thought it was :(

The ready made stuff wouldn't last me long at all, I do tend to go a bit ott with the squirting I should probably buy the concentrate and ask the b/f to do the mixing since he does that kinda stuff for a living. Might shift the parrot poo easier...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  19:08:26  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thanks all-Squeaky clean viv's all the wayI'll get hold of some F10 and give that a go
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2013 :  20:36:48  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
plain old bleach for me (diluted of course), never had any troubles

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000