The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 about heatmat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andria2013 Posted - 11/05/2013 : 15:40:24
reptile shop adived me to put the heatmats on the back inside wooden viv . does any1 have it set up like that . is it better or worse ? just wondering which way etter for when i set new viv up next week
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 13/05/2013 : 06:42:53
I'm so glad you are checking the advice you're given by the reptile shop Andria , it's what I always do. My nearest reptile shop strongly believes thermostats aren't necessary and doesn't even stock them ! The arguments I had with my OH about getting a thermostat because, as far as he was concerned, the reptile shop guy bred his own snakes and knew what he was talking about....whereas we (being the forum) wrap our snakes up in cotton-wool and make too much of a fuss about everything . Needless to say, I won the argument....but he only gave in to shut me up .

People DO put the heatmats on the back wall of their vivs. It even suggests it in some heatmat instructions, I think. But, as you've been told, it isn't the best place for them....and, in fact, it's just wasting them putting them there and your snake doesn't benefit. BUT that is only my personal opinion, of course .

Keep asking questions and checking up on things Andria....I know you want what's best for Robin and Albion .

Xxx
andria2013 Posted - 12/05/2013 : 18:48:35
yes I though that , that's why I asked here .
scottishbluebird Posted - 12/05/2013 : 17:30:04
You soooo did the right thing by asking here, understandably if a reptile shop gives advice, you EXPECT it to be right. But sadly they are hardly ever right
Lee Posted - 12/05/2013 : 11:53:33
Makes you wonder where they get their information from, especially reptile shops. I read some advice on a reptile shop site yesterday that stated 'corn snakes can not be overfed'!!
Moppet Posted - 12/05/2013 : 10:14:17
Oh dear. petshop advice strikes again. All of my mats are on the floor with thermostats, they should not get warm enough to burn if they are statted...
lupi lou Posted - 11/05/2013 : 19:44:15
like mjpeters has said if mats are correctly stated then the snake won't get burnt. their thinking is flawed anyway as we've all seen how good at climbing snakes are so what would stop snakie coming into contact if it was on the side of the viv?!
Lee Posted - 11/05/2013 : 18:52:16
yeah it's probably because they don't want to pay out for a load of thermostats for each viv/tank so putting the mat on the side prevents the snake coming in prolonged contact with the mat that may be too hot.
mjpeters Posted - 11/05/2013 : 18:50:15
When you use a matstat the snakey should not get burnt
andria2013 Posted - 11/05/2013 : 18:25:56
the viv ive got now has it on floor but reptile shop has all his on the side. and says its better so snake dont get burnt . thats why I asked /
lupi lou Posted - 11/05/2013 : 17:13:54
mine are all on the floor
Lee Posted - 11/05/2013 : 16:50:02
mine is on the floor inside the viv, small hole made in the back wall to pass the wire through and it can't be seen, then a little of your chosen bedding and a hide on top.
kev 5 Posted - 11/05/2013 : 16:19:13
I'd put it on the floor of the viv. On the side of the viv your snake will not get the heat it needs.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000