The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Conan Shed!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrsDavo Posted - 18/06/2012 : 15:58:10
Hey everyone,

Well as the title says last night Conan shed his skin. It has come off in bits though and I'm wondering if that's okay?

His tail bit is all intact and there, and I have found the piece which I think is the underside of his head, but I couldn't see a bit for the top of his head, we are going to have a good rummage round his viv later when he comes out and see if we've missed any bits.

KD - I am going to email you and arrange a day we're both available :-)
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Donnie Posted - 20/06/2012 : 20:06:17
I think you can get aspen shavings that look like that but it is better safe than sorry :)
MrsDavo Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:50:37
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

great pics :)
just a tip - looks like you're using sawdust/wood shavings as a substrate
the clue is in the name i guess - it can be a bit 'dusty' lol
corns are fairly prone to respiratory infections, and the tiny bits of shavings (the dust) can be inhaled through the nose
best subs for a corn are beech wood chips or aspen, which is similar to sawdust but better.

its not urgent, just maybe next time you clean Conan out i'd consider swapping it out

glad to hear he's getting along well anyway

Hey,

We were told by the woman we bought him from that this was aspen he was in! Having gone to the pet shop today to buy some aspen, we have realized it isn't, and have changed it immediately when we got home.

So he is now in a nice new cleaned out aspen bedding and leaf covered viv :-) Looks like a whole new home for him :-)

Will get some pics up in a bit!

Pics in the photo section of the forum.
smart bunny Posted - 20/06/2012 : 14:44:08
It's not just the dustiness though - don't wood shavings often contain pine? Pine is toxic to snakes so must not be used at all.

He's looking lovely - hard to believe he can hide himself so well lol!!
ashby_steve Posted - 20/06/2012 : 12:29:24
great pics :)
just a tip - looks like you're using sawdust/wood shavings as a substrate
the clue is in the name i guess - it can be a bit 'dusty' lol
corns are fairly prone to respiratory infections, and the tiny bits of shavings (the dust) can be inhaled through the nose
best subs for a corn are beech wood chips or aspen, which is similar to sawdust but better.

its not urgent, just maybe next time you clean Conan out i'd consider swapping it out

glad to hear he's getting along well anyway
MrsDavo Posted - 19/06/2012 : 09:26:43
I was looking for him for ages this morning before I spotted his head, amazing how much he can really hide himself when he wants to!
kdlang Posted - 19/06/2012 : 09:19:04
He is lovely. I love the head poking through the substrate shot
MrsDavo Posted - 19/06/2012 : 09:10:53
Some pictures as promised - It's not easy, he was much more slippery after the shed than I expected! Too fast for the camera lol

The difference between his body and his head! OMG!

And finally, this morning - spot the snake!

kdlang Posted - 18/06/2012 : 22:27:34
Thats great news. I can't wait to meet him - and you and hubby of course
MrsDavo Posted - 18/06/2012 : 21:56:31
I'll get some on tomorrow, took a few of him when he was out this evening, but I've been on call with work all weekend and I'm afraid I need to sleep now lol.
smart bunny Posted - 18/06/2012 : 21:38:11
Tuts

No pics??!!

Lol just kidding :) Glad he shed for you and it's all off OK :)
MrsDavo Posted - 18/06/2012 : 21:34:12
Hi Karen, I added you on Facebook :-)

We got it all, found his head bit when we took him out of the viv, it was the only bit we were missing. He doesn't have any bits stuck on him and he is all smooth and shiny now! Can't believe the difference lol

kdlang Posted - 18/06/2012 : 20:30:07
Hi Sammie. Great to hear he shed. I'l keep an eye on my inbox. If you are not sure if you have got it all and your worried, I can help show you some things to try when I come round if you like.
MrsDavo Posted - 18/06/2012 : 17:36:42
Ashby_Steve - thanks, that's what I thought. The previous owner said he hadn't had any shedding problems before, but then again she was feeding him 2 jumbos a week aswell!!

Kev, we will be checking him out later once my OH gets in from work. I'm not quite confident enough to pick him up from the viv by myself yet, we've only had him 5 days. :-)
kev 5 Posted - 18/06/2012 : 17:02:22
try to see if there is any retained shed on your snake. if so you run your snake through a damp cloth to try o remove it. next time i'd put a damp moss box in the viv when your snake is in blue (just as the eyes clear). really helps
ashby_steve Posted - 18/06/2012 : 16:01:59
Could be to do with him being over weight? Obviously the skin is tighter on the body so it might result in it not coming off in one piece.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000