The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 alternative prey?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tommy Posted - 11/06/2012 : 22:58:01
the norm for prey is mice and rats and i was wondering what alternatives there are for your snake? i know other rodents like hamsters and such are an option but does anyone feed theirs anything different??
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spreebok Posted - 12/06/2012 : 20:35:45
If I've got one defrosted, I'll chop up a chicken and feed various bits at titbits along with their mice. Usually the thighs, wings, neck, feet with the claws cut off (paranoia lol) and generally any other chunk I can cut off without hitting the yolk sac.
You think chicks smell once they come out? The smell of a broken yolk sac. THE SMELL ;_____;

Edit: Worth noting I use extreme caution when feeding Lister and Psiren chick bits. They go absolutely MENTAL for it. I've had a few very hungry bites from those instances lol
a33272 Posted - 12/06/2012 : 19:35:21
Yep as sb says chicks arnt as bad as made out to be, but generally people don't use them due to the aftermarth a few days later, u think ya snake poo smells after a mouse..........
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/06/2012 : 19:03:07
Yep, mine get rats, mice and chicks if they are big enough. Rats are fine if fed like rats, not mice, and chicks actually have roughly the same nutritional content as a large mouse.
a2c7 Posted - 12/06/2012 : 18:54:43
We're planning on treating ours once in a while (every month or more a different type) when they're big enough - we also don't feed strictly every week on the day, some weeks it'll be 8 days etc etc.

We figure in the wild nothing is set in stone for them so the odd chick or gerbil will be all good :)
lotabob Posted - 12/06/2012 : 02:08:54
I give my lot a treat now and again, I can get mice, rats, chicks, gerbils and multis. I stick to the preferred mice and rats for the most part but every now and again a treat does them no harm, it maybe gives them a few bits of nutrients they dont normally get from their main food but to be honest no idea about all that.

Be prepared though, feeding chicks causes the worse smelling poops ever.
eeji Posted - 11/06/2012 : 23:09:21
I've never used them, but I have heard multimammates are very much liked by corns :)
paulie78 Posted - 11/06/2012 : 23:05:21
From what i know off Mice are the best suited food source for corns so thats what i feed mine i never give them anything else rats are far too high in fat for corns and things like chicks just dont have any nutritional value
Callazagy Posted - 11/06/2012 : 23:04:18
I think some people use day old chicks.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000