New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tommy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  22:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the norm for prey is mice and rats and i was wondering what alternatives there are for your snake? i know other rodents like hamsters and such are an option but does anyone feed theirs anything different??

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:04:18  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think some people use day old chicks.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:05:21  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what i know off Mice are the best suited food source for corns so thats what i feed mine i never give them anything else rats are far too high in fat for corns and things like chicks just dont have any nutritional value

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:09:21  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never used them, but I have heard multimammates are very much liked by corns :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  02:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give my lot a treat now and again, I can get mice, rats, chicks, gerbils and multis. I stick to the preferred mice and rats for the most part but every now and again a treat does them no harm, it maybe gives them a few bits of nutrients they dont normally get from their main food but to be honest no idea about all that.

Be prepared though, feeding chicks causes the worse smelling poops ever.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  18:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're planning on treating ours once in a while (every month or more a different type) when they're big enough - we also don't feed strictly every week on the day, some weeks it'll be 8 days etc etc.

We figure in the wild nothing is set in stone for them so the odd chick or gerbil will be all good :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  19:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, mine get rats, mice and chicks if they are big enough. Rats are fine if fed like rats, not mice, and chicks actually have roughly the same nutritional content as a large mouse.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  19:35:21  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep as sb says chicks arnt as bad as made out to be, but generally people don't use them due to the aftermarth a few days later, u think ya snake poo smells after a mouse..........

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  20:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I've got one defrosted, I'll chop up a chicken and feed various bits at titbits along with their mice. Usually the thighs, wings, neck, feet with the claws cut off (paranoia lol) and generally any other chunk I can cut off without hitting the yolk sac.
You think chicks smell once they come out? The smell of a broken yolk sac. THE SMELL ;_____;

Edit: Worth noting I use extreme caution when feeding Lister and Psiren chick bits. They go absolutely MENTAL for it. I've had a few very hungry bites from those instances lol

Edited by - Spreebok on 12/06/2012 20:36:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000