The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Being bitten

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Theresa Posted - 10/06/2012 : 18:14:38
I just got my snake out for the first time and it was stressful. I'm very nervous about being bitten so after I finally got up the nerve to pick him up I discovered holding him is not easy either. He is so quick and stressed and kept trying to shoot outta my hands. When will he chill out? also he looked like he was sniffing my hand and then started to open his mouth againsty hand trying to bite but slowly?!!! I lost my nerve and passed him to my boyfriend and he did the same thing? It's not a strike so what is it? Does he think we are food? Also, be honest, does it hurt when they bite? I know he's only small but so are rodents and they can give you a real nip!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 21/06/2012 : 21:19:33
I once died from a cornsnake bite, true story bro.

Full grow corn bites don't hurt, the speed those just surprises you! I'm terrible with pain and if I don't think it hurts, it doesn't hurt :p
AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2012 : 16:59:30
I've been bitten by an adult black rat snake and didn't know till I looked back and she was latched onto my arm... I've also been bitten by a 2ft Royal Python, a 2-3ft Common Boa and a 3ft Bairds rat snake. The worst was the Royal because she really went for it, latched and dug deep in.

Like I say, I didn't even feel the bite of the Black Rat snake and she was fully grown so a corn bite shouldn't hurt at all. Never been bitten by a corn myself but as other's have said, no pain no gain :)
MissSnakeHandler Posted - 21/06/2012 : 16:32:02
the more your snake is handled the quicker he/she will get used to you and your scent.
corns snakes are told to be the best first time snake for anyone and they dont say that for no reason. my snakes have ever bitten me, and never shown signs of aggression except the occasinal tail rattle from slash when she was a hatchie. but my friends corn acted just like yours then once my friend had him for a month or so and was handling at least half hour every day.. they quickly get used to you. just dont be afraid to handle him, be confident your bite is worse than theres and so ive heard from many people the bite doesnt even hurt, its the shock that is the jumpy part lol! :)

Zee94 Posted - 21/06/2012 : 15:58:04
loool Ive been trying to get my corn to bite me so i know what it feels like, shes only 9months old and she hasnt struck at me or bitten me. goes to show her good character I guess, and yes im an idiot for trying to get her to bite me hahaha
paulie78 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 21:42:45
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Just be prepared, Dial 9, 9 then handle the snake. Now you only have to dial that final 9! It should save vital seconds.

Ive said it before il say it again this forum seriously needs a like button PMSL!!
lotabob Posted - 20/06/2012 : 20:58:47
Just be prepared, Dial 9, 9 then handle the snake. Now you only have to dial that final 9! It should save vital seconds.

lupi lou Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:24:20
quote:
Originally posted by ZetecVan

Thanks for this thread. I've always wondered myself. I've got a male cat who likes to attack me and even though he's playing, he can forget and really dig his teeth in. And at the weekend my girlfriends hamster had a right old munch on my hand. I've never been bitten by a hamster before so didn't know what to expect.

Sounds like cornsnake bites are a walk in the park in comparison.

having been bitten by cats, hamsters and corn, the corn is definalty the one i'd rather be bitten by!!! like others have said it dosen't hurt its more the shock of it.
viraleye Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:13:54
I want to be bitten just so i know what to expect
ashby_steve Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:02:25
I was bitten yesterday by one of our week old hatchlings and I couldn't believe it,
i'd looked away for a second and then looked down and saw its mouth wide around my thumb!
didn't hurt at all but was really shocked lol
paulie78 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 13:48:59
to the best of my knowledge i havent been bitten yet been headbutted once or twice though lol im getting to the point now where ive been handling all my friends feistier snakes eg carpet pythons boas etc and still not been bloody bitten!! with 13 snakes now and 2 to come im hopijng i will soon just so i can get over the shock of it im sure the shock is worse than the event itself pmsl
ScalySituation Posted - 20/06/2012 : 13:11:49
sonny got me once and im still debating wether he actually did or not cos i couldnt feel a thing
cobweb251 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 12:59:40
yeah they really do not hurt
ZetecVan Posted - 20/06/2012 : 12:30:56
Thanks for this thread. I've always wondered myself. I've got a male cat who likes to attack me and even though he's playing, he can forget and really dig his teeth in. And at the weekend my girlfriends hamster had a right old munch on my hand. I've never been bitten by a hamster before so didn't know what to expect.

Sounds like cornsnake bites are a walk in the park in comparison.
voodoo Posted - 10/06/2012 : 23:37:56
I too am a new snake owner, and the first time I handled Hemlock I was pretty nervous. but I decided if he bites, he bites, nothing I can do so just went for it! Ive found the best way is to stroke him slightly near his tail then just scoop him up. that way he has some warning, but doesnt have time to get all stressed about it. once Im holding him, hes absolutely fine. I dont think it would take too long for them to get used to you. have you tried putting something with your scent in the tank? I carried an old clean sock with me for a day, then cut it up and put a bit in each of his hides so he gets used to my smell. now he doesnt seem to bother at all
a33272 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 22:44:39
He's proberly picking up on you being nurvous, confidence is the key factor when it comes to handling an picking them up.
Theresa Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:53:44
**something weird
Theresa Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:52:18
Hands were clean but clammy out of nerves. I've always been ok holding snakes that are passed to me but picking him up from tank freaks me....and him. I just need more experience. Next time I'm gonna really scrub my hands just incase they had some smell on them. Left him for 7 days. Fed him last Wednesday. Just my luck he does sometime weird first time out! Thanks for the assurance on the pain scale. I too have had a nasty nip from a hamster and that hurt! I don't know what corns teeth look like. I guess they are tiny. If we handle him every day how long will it take for him to calm down?
smart bunny Posted - 10/06/2012 : 20:50:49
Ember (6 months old) got me the other week and I can honestly say I could barely feel it! Much less painful than hamsters or needles I promise!
Rachel Posted - 10/06/2012 : 19:27:59
Part of me wants to be bitten just so I know! I remember before I got Neidr I had a hard time choosing between him and a lavender king snake, and there was a mention of 'did the stripe strike at you?' But he never has at me!
I had a really nasty bite off a hamster as a kid.. He bit through my thumb!
marc_sg Posted - 10/06/2012 : 19:27:07
Ive been bitten by my 4 year old was my own fault. I couldnt be bother to find the long tweezzers and she strike feeds everytime. But she missed bit my finger and coiled my arm. I swear it doesnt hurt. Their teeth are tiny

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000