The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 first vivarium.... what do i do? (heat source)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 01/06/2012 : 22:36:14
hi, well i have decided to move my corn snake conan up to a vivarium i have never had one before so i have not a clue how to heat it i have read about heat mats and heat bulbs but what is your advice?? i have been using a heatmat for my terraniums ( not sure if thats what they are called ) but i cant put it into the vivarium for odd reasons that im not going to bore you with. so should i get another heat mat that can go into the vivarium or should i go for a heat lamp.... and i do know for the heat lamp i will need a protective case/thing around it so my snakey doesnt get burned. but how do i keep the heat under control aswell using one of them?? can anyone help??

thanks

x
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackcat Posted - 03/06/2012 : 21:28:45
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if theres only 2 core cable then it will be double insulated which doesn't need an earth (should have a square symbol on it )

It was the cable from the mat which was 2 core, the cable from the stat to the mains was 3-core, was just worried if any unsuspecting person plugged an item in that was 3-core, this would then not be earthed - might be totally wrong, but it was just cheaper to buy a 2-core connector
eeji Posted - 03/06/2012 : 19:34:26
if theres only 2 core cable then it will be double insulated which doesn't need an earth (should have a square symbol on it )
Blackcat Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:57:25
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

Ahhh I remember this mat/state combo from before haha. If it was me I'd simply cut the wire put the mat in then rejoin it together.

Yes it was me who got one - made by habistat specifically for an exo terra set up sold by PAH for Geckos - the reason why not on their web site.
I did exactly that, cut the wire, threaded through hole in viv and rejoined wires together using a proper 2-core connector - as advised by my electrician friend.
Had thought about wiring a trailing socket on to it but was informed that the unit would not be earthed as only a 2-core wire going into thermostat unit.
Link to original post below:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22381
eeji Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:47:50
I've never seen a mat permanently attached to a stat, what make is it?
Can it be unwired, feed the wire through a small hole then reconnected (you may have to unscrew the stat and open the casing)? Cutting the wire is very dodgey.
a33272 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 23:16:55
Ahhh I remember this mat/state combo from before haha. If it was me I'd simply cut the wire put the mat in then rejoin it together.
Cornsnakeluver127 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 22:24:32
Okay so....I have a heat mat that I have got outside just now. But it is all attached to the thermostat and there is no way to take them apart. So I would have to slice the viv to make room for it to go in... Should I buy a knew one???? I know these sound like really stupid questions but I don't really know what to do :3
mkmattyk Posted - 02/06/2012 : 09:05:36
For plastic fauns i tend to prefer leaving to heatmat outside to give that air gap, and the thermometer/stat probe inside so the stat regualtes the temp inside not the outside temp, but for a wooden viv i put the mat inside
Okeetee Mick Posted - 02/06/2012 : 08:29:43
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

quote:

i'm intrigued as to the odd reason for not putting a mat into the viv! :D

Me too

And me!
Blackcat Posted - 02/06/2012 : 08:17:26
quote:

Me too
eeji Posted - 01/06/2012 : 23:20:26

You have two options:
Heat mat inside the viv, using either a matstat or pulse stat
or....
Ceramic emitter in the viv, using a bulb guard, ceramic bulb holder, heat resistant cable, and either a dimming or pulse stat
lupi lou Posted - 01/06/2012 : 22:40:56
i've got a heat mat in my viv set up with the stat prob and thermometer prob sat on top of the matt. the heat mat needs to take up 1/3 of the floor of the viv. you can fix the mat to the floor or use a heavy hide to keep it in place. you will need to fix the probs to the matt with either ahot glue gun or aquatic sealant so that snakie can't move the probs and effect the temps. hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000