The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 got my corn, but a bit confused

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Roffe Posted - 25/05/2012 : 20:42:37
So today i went and visit the guy (a breeder) i was gonna buy my corn from. i didn't expect to get one home with me today, as i don't even have terrarium or anything yet. but i did, because he kept him in a little tub, and i could take that with me..so now i'm thinking...is that tub good enough for the snake? i mean, he don't have any heat...but the guy said that with this warm weather we have atm, it will be fine. and i mean, he has kept the snake in this tub since it was hatched (almost a year ago)...but i'm still a little concerned. i haven't been able to buy a thermometer today, cause when i got home (in the evening), all the stores were closed. but i want to get one tomorrow so i can see what the temp is in the tub
another thing, he's really small, and i was expecting/hoping to get a bigger snake. the guy said he has been feeding the snake one pinky a week, because he didn't want it to grow so fast. but i want it to grow faster, so what do i do? do i feed him more pinkies? how many and how often?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
viraleye Posted - 01/06/2012 : 11:04:27
quote:
Originally posted by Roffe

ok i will do that...it's just that when i've touched/held snakes before, they didn't feel cold

mine is pretty much stone cold every time i pick him up.

I wouldn't worry though as if they get too cold for themselves they'd soon move to the warm end :-)
kdlang Posted - 01/06/2012 : 09:29:26
What a gorgeous little thing. I have 2 butter motleys and they are one of my favourite morphs.

It sounds like you are getting on top of things as much as you can.
Roffe Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:50:33
ok i will do that...it's just that when i've touched/held snakes before, they didn't feel cold
Donnie Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:18:40
Snakes feel cold to us to touch as our body temperature is higher than theirs. You should be able to run the mat with your tub, just plug it into your stat and get the stat sensor and thermometer probe fixed to the mat and run it for a couple of hours to get the temp right and then put the mat under a third to half of the tub when you are happy with the temps.
Hissyfit Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:16:42
He's a lovely looking little guy If you have a thermostat it should be fine to put the heat mat & stat under the tub, and have the thermometer inside to get a good reading. As for feeling cold, that's normal for a snake, they always feel cold...quite nice in hot weather when they drape around your neck
ScalySituation Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:51:31
mines a habistat
Roffe Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:40:52
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

the one i got says glass only but i got it on plastic, its fine, and i intend to put it on wood soon as well lol

what kind do you have? mine is exo terra. if it's the same, imma try to put it under the tub
i just tried to touch him a bit (for the first time since go him) and he's really cold, i don't like it
ScalySituation Posted - 31/05/2012 : 12:57:37
the one i got says glass only but i got it on plastic, its fine, and i intend to put it on wood soon as well lol
Roffe Posted - 31/05/2012 : 12:56:07
snakey is still in his tub as i have not received the terrarium that i ordered friday last week. i called the place i ordered it from to ask when i will receive it, and they said they have some problems finding it on their stock...........but they said if the haven't found it by tomorrow they will call me. and then i have to order one elsewhere, of course. so it wont be till sometime next week that i will get one...got everything else i need though...but i can't use the things till i get the terrarium...because the heat mat i got is for use on glass only....
and the weather has changed quite a bit now (it's gotten colder), and the temp is now constantly at 23-24C (inside). i am worried this is too cold? will he be ok at this temp for a while?
Roffe Posted - 28/05/2012 : 19:41:21
no because it's a holiday (whitsun) here today, and all the stores are closed :( i had totally forgotten about that...
but i am definitely goin tomorrow
Donnie Posted - 28/05/2012 : 19:31:31
Those temps are fine. Any joy with your shopping yet?
Roffe Posted - 28/05/2012 : 15:23:00
just some info on the temps. now, i've been up all night (till 6 am) for the past 2 nights, and the lowest it drops to over night is 24C. during the day it is 25-29C
ScalySituation Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:43:24
oh hes lovely!
Dalymad2 Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:30:07
Great looking snake, hope all goes well with the housing.
Roffe Posted - 27/05/2012 : 16:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

That sounds absolutely fine.

Wow, what a stunning little snake! Do you know what morph? I'm thinking butter motley (or possibly amel depending on how accurate the colouring in the photo is) but I could be totally out on that lol!

you are right, he is butter motley. i saw his parents too so that i will know what he looks like when he grows up
Donnie Posted - 27/05/2012 : 14:47:51
Looks great :)
smart bunny Posted - 27/05/2012 : 14:46:30
That sounds absolutely fine.

Wow, what a stunning little snake! Do you know what morph? I'm thinking butter motley (or possibly amel depending on how accurate the colouring in the photo is) but I could be totally out on that lol!
Figs Posted - 27/05/2012 : 13:37:53
What a pretty wee thing
Roffe Posted - 27/05/2012 : 13:30:01
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

Feeding after the 7 day settling period is fine. Good luck :)

thank you
and thanks for all your help everyone. it's much appreciated

here he is
Donnie Posted - 27/05/2012 : 07:20:25
Feeding after the 7 day settling period is fine. Good luck :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000